Buffalo Bills 2018 | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2018

Would love to make a bet with you on that picking in the top 5 statement...

Lotulelei and Murphy are huge pick ups on the D-line. We will be much much better there than last year. Not sure how you could think otherwise.

Shady, Benjamin, and Clay are significant playmakers. Shady is a force - still playing like a HOF’er. Benjamin and Clay were both hurt last year, hopefully they come back healthier and enjoy having a quarterback that makes his reads and actually throws the ball. Zay will make a big year 2 leap imo.

The o-line took a big hit today for sure but Dawkins, Groy, Bodine, Miller, Mills is an average NFL line. Dawkins very well could be a star. I would expect us to draft early here tho.

Linebacker is the most troubling area to me. I like Milano’s potential, but he’s still young and inexperienced. We lose Brown - who is no star, but is heady and mostly solid. I think we draft early here as well.
Thankfully, Zay didn't make a year and a half leap.

Lotulelei and Murphy are huge pick ups on the D-line. We will be much much better there than last year. Not sure how you could think otherwise.

Shady, Benjamin, and Clay are significant playmakers. Shady is a force - still playing like a HOF’er. Benjamin and Clay were both hurt last year, hopefully they come back healthier and enjoy having a quarterback that makes his reads and actually throws the ball. Zay will make a big year 2 leap imo.

The o-line took a big hit today for sure but Dawkins, Groy, Bodine, Miller, Mills is an average NFL line. Dawkins very well could be a star. I would expect us to draft early here tho.

Linebacker is the most troubling area to me. I like Milano’s potential, but he’s still young and inexperienced. We lose Brown - who is no star, but is heady and mostly solid. I think we draft early here as well.

I don't think Star is a good player personally, certainly nowhere remotely close to Dareus. He might be an upgrade over who we replaced Dareus with but we'll see. Hopefully McBeane makes me look foolish but I personally wouldn't have offered Star half the money he got. I like the Murphy pickup a lot though; he was really impressive with the Redskins and should be a significant upgrade over Shaq. Shady is obviously great. Benjamin...we'll see; hopefully he gets healthy but he's a good #2 WR and a borderline #1 IMO. I don't think Clay is anything special; I wouldn't mind drafting a new TE. O'Leary is a solid 2nd TE; I expect Clay to be a cap casualty after this upcoming season. If Zay can earn a starting spot, that's fine, but I'm not comfortable going into the season with him being slated as more than the #4 WR; he was a disaster as a rookie. I expect the QB position to be worse this season (hopefully only in the short-term while a rookie develops/takes his lumps), but I think Tyrod's ability to avoid turnovers and create plays out of nothing was among the top 3 biggest reasons that the team made the playoffs (with the defense forcing turnovers being #1). I think the O-Line is arguably the worst in the NFL (for the moment, certainly McBeane knows it needs to be upgraded in the draft/post-draft free agency). I like Milano a lot but that position is hilariously weak right now both in terms of starting caliber players and depth.

Edit: The only way I realistically see Buffalo having a chance at the playoffs is if they do NOT trade up for a QB, or at least don't trade 3-5 picks for a QB. IMO, they need to see how the draft shapes out and either stay at 12 or make a small move up to like 7-10 range to get their QB in order to have a shot this year. There's simply too many holes on this team to sacrifice a lot of picks for a QB and still be competitive this season. I think they'll pick somewhere in the 8-13 range when it's all said and done next year.

I don't think Star is a good player personally, certainly nowhere remotely close to Dareus. He might be an upgrade over who we replaced Dareus with but we'll see. Hopefully McBeane makes me look foolish but I personally wouldn't have offered Star half the money he got. I like the Murphy pickup a lot though; he was really impressive with the Redskins and should be a significant upgrade over Shaq. Shady is obviously great. Benjamin...we'll see; hopefully he gets healthy but he's a good #2 WR and a borderline #1 IMO. I don't think Clay is anything special; I wouldn't mind drafting a new TE. O'Leary is a solid 2nd TE; I expect Clay to be a cap casualty after this upcoming season. If Zay can earn a starting spot, that's fine, but I'm not comfortable going into the season with him being slated as more than the #4 WR; he was a disaster as a rookie. I expect the QB position to be worse this season (hopefully only in the short-term while a rookie develops/takes his lumps), but I think Tyrod's ability to avoid turnovers and create plays out of nothing was among the top 3 biggest reasons that the team made the playoffs (with the defense forcing turnovers being #1). I think the O-Line is arguably the worst in the NFL (for the moment, certainly McBeane knows it needs to be upgraded in the draft/post-draft free agency). I like Milano a lot but that position is hilariously weak right now both in terms of starting caliber players and depth.

Edit: The only way I realistically see Buffalo having a chance at the playoffs is if they do NOT trade up for a QB, or at least don't trade 3-5 picks for a QB. IMO, they need to see how the draft shapes out and either stay at 12 or make a small move up to like 7-10 range to get their QB in order to have a shot this year. There's simply too many holes on this team to sacrifice a lot of picks for a QB and still be competitive this season. I think they'll pick somewhere in the 8-13 range when it's all said and done next year.

Aren’t you a Bucs fan?

I’ll take an overpaid Star any day over an overpaid Fatty Doo Doo. And you’re overrating Tyrod significantly. Can he make something out of nothing? Sure. But more often than not, he can be seen making nothing out of something by not throwing the ball. He can’t read defenses, he can’t throw guys open, and his lack of anticipation is debilitating. McCarron will prove to be a better quarterback imo.

As far as the trade up to draft a QB vs 2018 playoffs debate:

I don’t give a rat’s about the playoffs this year. Get a QB!!!! This is the year! If we have to take a few lumps this year I’m fine w that. I’m not dying to be a fringe playoff team in 2018. I want to have the chance to eventually win the Superbowl.

Last edited:

I will definitely take your action on that if you're saying playoffs are more likely.

Saying a position group may be ok if x, y, and z happen is something only fans do and only when they want to. Sure, maybe some of those things do happen. They probably won't. It's probably more likely McCoy starts to look like a RB with a ton of mileage on him.

I will definitely take your action on that if you're saying playoffs are more likely.

Saying a position group may be ok if x, y, and z happen is something only fans do and only when they want to. Sure, maybe some of those things do happen. They probably won't. It's probably more likely McCoy starts to look like a RB with a ton of mileage on him.

If I win money on the Bills ending up anywhere outside of a top 5 pick, I’ll bet every asset that I own on that.

I never said any “ifs” about anything. Just that we need to draft a lineman and lb for sure.

And it’s far more likely Shady is a beast again in 2018 than some other version of himself. He has shown zero signs of slowing down.

Aren’t you a Bucs fan?

I’ll take an overpaid Star any day over an overpaid Fatty Doo Doo. And you’re overrating Tyrod significantly. Can he make something out of nothing? Sure. But more often than not, he can be seen making nothing out of something by not throwing the ball. He can’t read defenses, he can’t throw guys open, and his lack of anticipation is debilitating. McCarron will prove to be a better quarterback than imo.

As far as the trade up to draft a QB vs 2018 playoffs debate:

I don’t give a rat’s about the playoffs this year. Get a QB!!!! This is the year! If we have to take a few lumps this year I’m fine w that. I’m not dying to be a fringe playoff team in 2018. I want to have the chance to eventually win the Superbowl.

I’m a fan of both the Bucs and Bills.

I agree that playoffs shouldn’t be the highest priority this upcoming year. I was making that point because of what I said about them being closer to a top 5 pick than a playoff spot.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the rest. As a Bucs fan I’ve grown pretty accustomed to Star. He hasn’t been much of a factor the last few years. Obviously McBeane disagree though and for the Bills sake, I hope I’m wrong about him. The loss of Tyrod doesn’t really matter in the long run since there’s almost no shot he or McCarron will prove to be the long-term solution but I do think it’s a significant drop off. The only reason the Bills won games last year was by forcing turnovers and protecting the ball. They’ll almost certainly decline in both areas this season.

I think they would have taken a step back this year even if they returned the same team, but in my opinion, they’re probably worse now than they were a year ago.

Edit: and to be clear, i don’t think it’s a bad thing that they’re worse. IMO this always had to be a multi year process and this is simply step 2 of a larger rebuild.

Last edited:
If I win money on the Bills ending up anywhere outside of a top 5 pick, I’ll bet every asset that I own on that.

I never said any “ifs” about anything. Just that we need to draft a lineman and lb for sure.

And it’s far more likely Shady is a beast again in 2018 than some other version of himself. He has shown zero signs of slowing down.

Oh, well obviously...at even $ that's be an easy bet for all 32 teams. The original statement I think was that it was more likely than playoffs; so if they get the 7th pick it would be a push.
Similarly with Shady, I didn't say it's more likely than not he's a lot worse; but do think it's more likely than them having a decent passing game.

What is going on with Richie? So weird. Retires. Tweets out a joke. Tells one reporter he's staying retired. Tells another he might come back. Uh, ok..?

Also, Bills apparently interested in Dez.

Always a fun Twitter follow.

IMG_1561.jpg

Bills signed WR Jeremy Kerley and DT Tenny Palepoi. Don't know anything about Tenny but I really like Jeremy Kerley and he could immediately be our starting slot receiver.

KB and Zay outside with Kerley in the slot makes me feel like I have some hope for our WR group this year.

Holmes, Streater and K. Clay doesn't exactly scream depth though.

Bills signed WR Jeremy Kerley and DT Tenny Palepoi. Don't know anything about Tenny but I really like Jeremy Kerley and he could immediately be our starting slot receiver.

KB and Zay outside with Kerley in the slot makes me feel like I have some hope for our WR group this year.

Holmes, Streater and K. Clay doesn't exactly scream depth though.

With our current WR group any veteran help or depth piece is welcome. Kerley has the potential to have the same kind of impact that Thompson had last year by coming up with a big game after several weeks of being under the radar. Still think Buffalo needs to draft at least 1 WR, I can understand not wanting to go down the Dez Bryant rabbit hole but a young WR is a must even if we trade up for a QB and have limited picks.

Hopefully better then Eli Apple.
I sure they are.

Most 7th round picks are...

At least we didn’t pay a premium for him.

We just sat there on the freeway going 55, while everyone raced by us at 80 grabbing Pro Bowlers.

With our current WR group any veteran help or depth piece is welcome. Kerley has the potential to have the same kind of impact that Thompson had last year by coming up with a big game after several weeks of being under the radar. Still think Buffalo needs to draft at least 1 WR, I can understand not wanting to go down the Dez Bryant rabbit hole but a young WR is a must even if we trade up for a QB and have limited picks.

Yeah, Kerley is a savvy pickup. Should be a solid WR4 that can potentially start in the slot if Zay doesn’t show progress. But 100% with you that they need to take a WR in the draft. I’d still personally prefer 2 of them because I like this year’s class quite a bit, but at least 1 is necessary.

Lamar Jackson could change the NFL — if he gets the chance

I haven't been crazy about the idea of drafting Lamar Jackson but this is a pretty good read about his strengths & weaknesses. I'll admit, I was questioning my position after reading it...
At #12 and keep all your picks? I'm good with that. Rosen had 2 concussions last year. Allen at 57% completion. Mayfield's height. Darnold likely gone under any scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom