Buffalo Bills 2018 | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2018

More analysts than not, fwiw, have praised the Bills moves.

They got their QB of the Offense and QB of the Defense for, we hope, the next 10+ years.

Reports were Buffalo had one QB they were willing to move up and get. Seems like that guy was Josh Allen all along. They didn’t really seem connected to Mayfield. Seems plausible based on Gettleman’s remarks that they could’ve traded a fortune with the Giants to get to 2 for Darnold, and didn’t. Had their choice of Allen/Rosen and took Allen...in fact ensured a move up to out-bid the Cardinals, who Shefter reported, also wanted Allen at 7.

They also knew they wanted an elite level LB’er and took one of the two in this Draft (Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds).

The more I read on Rosen, the more he seems weak both physically and mentally. There’s a reason he went 10 and was never linked to pick #1. Even the team that took him tried to move up higher to get Allen. His injury history is no joke and that press conference last night, eye roll worthy.

All these QBs had question marks. We took the one with the highest ceiling and tied for lowest floor (with Mayfield). Jets got the safest guy in Darnold, but even he only has 2 years of data at USC and is, by far, the most turnover prone QB of the 4.

Don’t love that we traded away 53, 56, 65 given the fact there will be really good players there, but we had to, to get our guys, as they wouldn’t have been available at 12 or 22, and wouldn’t have been available with smaller tradeups.

Hopefully they nail pick 96 and find another Milano in the 4th or two 5ths.

Worth noting, saw a report that Buffalo enters the Draft with the 8th most cap space left this year.

I agree with most of your thoughts above. A little surprised they took Allen over Rosen but in the end thats who they liked so have to let it play out. Been surprised how much Bills fans at least some of them anyway have been Sh$tting on the pick. Buffalorumblings was unreadable last night, guys just meltingdown calling it Jake locker redux, Beane gone by 2020 etc etc etc. I think Allen definitely has bust potential but so does every other QB in this class and it appears the Bills did their homework and this the guy they wanted so hopefully it pans out.

Like you I am a bit down we had to give up so much draft capital to get the two guys. I love the Edmunds pick but hated to give up that opening 3rd pick. I do like the fact we at least got a 5th rounder back so we can hopefully pick up a depth guy. LB was a massive need and one we really had to fill. I would have really liked to have seen if we could have swapped one of the 2 or the 3 we gave up for the same round pick in 2019. Would have allowed us to keep one of those picks and get a WR or a O-linemen. Agree about pick 96, we really need to strike gold there, regardless of position. If I was the Bills I would make a play for Dez Bryant and try to shore up the WR position as we clearly can't get a top end WR now due to the lack of picks.

I agree with most of your thoughts above. A little surprised they took Allen over Rosen but in the end thats who they liked so have to let it play out. Been surprised how much Bills fans at least some of them anyway have been Sh$tting on the pick. Buffalorumblings was unreadable last night, guys just meltingdown calling it Jake locker redux, Beane gone by 2020 etc etc etc. I think Allen definitely has bust potential but so does every other QB in this class and it appears the Bills did their homework and this the guy they wanted so hopefully it pans out.

Like you I am a bit down we had to give up so much draft capital to get the two guys. I love the Edmunds pick but hated to give up that opening 3rd pick. I do like the fact we at least got a 5th rounder back so we can hopefully pick up a depth guy. LB was a massive need and one we really had to fill. I would have really liked to have seen if we could have swapped one of the 2 or the 3 we gave up for the same round pick in 2019. Would have allowed us to keep one of those picks and get a WR or a O-linemen. Agree about pick 96, we really need to strike gold there, regardless of position. If I was the Bills I would make a play for Dez Bryant and try to shore up the WR position as we clearly can't get a top end WR now due to the lack of picks.

I wonder if we try to move back into the second round. Debating whether I'd rather have a second round pick and less depth picks, or hang onto the picks we currently have.

I wonder if we try to move back into the second round. Debating whether I'd rather have a second round pick and less depth picks, or hang onto the picks we currently have.

I think if we still had the Browns 3rd rounder we could but now it would probably cost next years second plus our third this year. In retrospect we should have given Tampa one 2 this year and our second next year. Would have left us with a 2 this year and our other third.

Before you call Dez, think of this:

Jerry Jones - the patron saint of asshats, locker room cancers and over the hill vets, didn’t bother to ask him to re-work his contract to keep him.

And the Bills receiving corps today is better than the stiffs left in Dallas.

Before you call Dez, think of this:

Jerry Jones - the patron saint of asshats, locker room cancers and over the hill vets, didn’t bother to ask him to re-work his contract to keep him.

And the Bills receiving corps today is better than the stiffs left in Dallas.

Good points. Still think Buffalo needs to add someone. Would have loved Ridley but obviously after taking Edmunds that was clearly not possible. Interesting to see who he is available when we draft in the third round.

I know Buffalo didn’t want to trade a 2019 1st but I could see them moving a 2019 2nd or 3rd if a guy they want is available for a trade up, given our cap space next year.

Some really good Interior Lineman, DB’s and WR’s still available.

Love Edmunds pick, have to wait and see on Allen as any team who drafts an NFL QB will have to do. Surprised Jackson fell like he did. Thought Pats were taking him for sure, glad they didn't. Not psyched we lost both 2nd rounders but those picks were obtained to do exactly what they did. Think Beane knew the Cards were hot on Allen and probably had to give up both 2nd rounders, he had to do it.

I for one will never understand not at least giving Allen a couple years before he gets labeled a bad pick. Seems crazy. Beane has been pretty damn good so far. Onward and upward. Should have all their picks next year I think and a ton of cap room, setting up for a solid foundation.

Edmunds to me has the potential to be a real difference maker and a match up nightmare for a lot of offenses.

Have to tune a lot of the noise as everybody wants to have a hot take and be that guy who says " I TOLD YOU!!!"

I have a friend who states he's giving up his Bills seasons after every draft, it's like clockwork.. texted him after the pick with his text from last year and just told him to save it

Feels a little like the morning after Trump won the election. If a few weeks ago you told me that we could have Allen and Edmunds, still have a 3rd and gave up nothing from 2019 I would've signed up for it in a second. Watching it play out in real time was a little different as I was definitely a Rosen guy having lived in Southern Cal for the past few years. I'll give the front office the benefit of the doubt since they know at a minimum 100x more about football then I do and their careers are on the line with the pick. The cost of the picks in relation to some of the other trade ups seems a bit high but every trade is completely different and just because the Cards only gave up a 3 and a 5 to go up 5 spots from 15 to 10 doesn't really mean anything when 2 different humans are negotiating a move from 12 to 7. It looks nice in a chart next to each other but they're completely exclusive of each other and obviously if the Cards were trying to get to 7 and couldn't then the cost was a heckuva lot more than what they gave up to get to 10.

Realistically looking at the roster, this is going to be another 2 years of building. The oline and wr groups are still a disaster, maybe bottom 3 in the nfl, lb group just moved up from bottom 3. Next offseason they will need replacements for Shady, Kyle and Clay but are staring at over $100 million in cap space to fix the holes.

I expect the team to get off to a brutal start giving the front loaded schedule and the bye week is week 11 so that's where you'd expect Allen to take over but the Jags follow it in week 12. Even at home that is brutal. So maybe he takes over in week 14 and finishes out against the Jets, Lions, Pats, Dolphins to end the year. I'm not expecting anything beyond 6-10 despite last years overachieving.

Good points. Still think Buffalo needs to add someone. Would have loved Ridley but obviously after taking Edmunds that was clearly not possible. Interesting to see who he is available when we draft in the third round.

I understand Beane used this draft to get his QB and the QB of McDermott’s defense.

I think they overpaid for Allen but understand why they did it. I would’ve loved for the Bills to stand pat at 22 or trade down to recover a 2nd rounder or 2.

Then they would’ve had a good chance for a quality WR, LB or OL. I hope both 1st rounders pan out, especially Allen.

Feels a little like the morning after Trump won the election. If a few weeks ago you told me that we could have Allen and Edmunds, still have a 3rd and gave up nothing from 2019 I would've signed up for it in a second. Watching it play out in real time was a little different as I was definitely a Rosen guy having lived in Southern Cal for the past few years. I'll give the front office the benefit of the doubt since they know at a minimum 100x more about football then I do and their careers are on the line with the pick. The cost of the picks in relation to some of the other trade ups seems a bit high but every trade is completely different and just because the Cards only gave up a 3 and a 5 to go up 5 spots from 15 to 10 doesn't really mean anything when 2 different humans are negotiating a move from 12 to 7. It looks nice in a chart next to each other but they're completely exclusive of each other and obviously if the Cards were trying to get to 7 and couldn't then the cost was a heckuva lot more than what they gave up to get to 10.

Realistically looking at the roster, this is going to be another 2 years of building. The oline and wr groups are still a disaster, maybe bottom 3 in the nfl, lb group just moved up from bottom 3. Next offseason they will need replacements for Shady, Kyle and Clay but are staring at over $100 million in cap space to fix the holes.

I expect the team to get off to a brutal start giving the front loaded schedule and the bye week is week 11 so that's where you'd expect Allen to take over but the Jags follow it in week 12. Even at home that is brutal. So maybe he takes over in week 14 and finishes out against the Jets, Lions, Pats, Dolphins to end the year. I'm not expecting anything beyond 6-10 despite last years overachieving.

Yeah you can only deal with what is in front of you at that time, who knows what the Cards had on the table at 7 to get Allen, do what you have to do. If Allen proves to be a solid franchise QB it's worth it, if not well it happens

I think fans are overly pessimistic about the talent on this team. The defense has Top 10 potential.

Hughes, Star, Kyle, Murphy, Edmunds, Milano, White, Davis, Poyer and Hyde is a pretty legit collection of talent on that side of the ball.

On offense, we have Benjamin, McCoy and Clay as playmakers. We can hope Zay makes a sophomore jump. After that, I’m willing to see how the offense looks with a QB who’s actually willing to throw the ball, whether that’s Allen or McCarron, I don’t care. Just the fact it’s not Tyrod gives me hope the offense improves next year.

I understand Beane used this draft to get his QB and the QB of McDermott’s defense.

I think they overpaid for Allen but understand why they did it. I would’ve loved for the Bills to stand pat at 22 or trade down to recover a 2nd rounder or 2.

Then they would’ve had a good chance for a quality WR, LB or OL. I hope both 1st rounders pan out, especially Allen.

Agree with you about standing pat at 22 or trading down and picking up say a 2 and a 4 or 5, think that would have been a great move but clearly Edmunds is off the board with that type of move. Again I like both moves but just wish we kept one more pick by shifting one of the 2s to 2019. Still they do have a 3rd a 4th and two 5s.

I feel like somehow, someway, we trade up for a WR. You don’t draft a QB who can throw it a mile then only have one deep threat on the roster who’s named Kaelin Clay.

I think fans are overly pessimistic about the talent on this team. The defense has Top 10 potential.

Hughes, Star, Kyle, Murphy, Edmunds, Milano, White, Davis, Poyer and Hyde is a pretty legit collection of talent on that side of the ball.

On offense, we have Benjamin, McCoy and Clay as playmakers. We can hope Zay makes a sophomore jump. After that, I’m willing to see how the offense looks with a QB who’s actually willing to throw the ball, whether that’s Allen or McCarron, I don’t care. Just the fact it’s not Tyrod gives me hope the offense improves next year.

That collection of playmakers is among the very worst in the NFL I would say. Not sure there are many other #1 RB/WR/TE combinations I would prefer less. A 30 year old RB who is still extremely talented but I assume is playing out his final year in Buffalo, a solid possession receiver who's previous team desperately needs WR talent but gave him up for a 3rd rd pick and a TE that is ok at best.

Even with a top 10 defense, if you have subpar QB play which is an absolute guarantee then there isn't really a way to compete. All those top 5 defenses with Pettine and Schwartz didn't amount to anything because the offense was trash and those defenses were certainly more talented than what will be put on the field this year.

It's possible to overachieve like last year but with 5 of the 1st 7 on the road, I just don't see it happening and I'm completely fine with it. I just want Allen to stay off the field until at least after the bye to avoid having his development stunted and for Benjamin and Zay to become a competent NFL WR duo. Benjamin is watching all of the guys in his draft class get paid and that is terrifying because I sure don't want to give him $14m a year at this point but if he were to leave then good god that position is stripped naked.

That collection of playmakers is among the very worst in the NFL I would say. Not sure there are many other #1 RB/WR/TE combinations I would prefer less. A 30 year old RB who is still extremely talented but I assume is playing out his final year in Buffalo, a solid possession receiver who's previous team desperately needs WR talent but gave him up for a 3rd rd pick and a TE that is ok at best.

Even with a top 10 defense, if you have subpar QB play which is an absolute guarantee then there isn't really a way to compete. All those top 5 defenses with Pettine and Schwartz didn't amount to anything because the offense was trash and those defenses were certainly more talented than what will be put on the field this year.

It's possible to overachieve like last year but with 5 of the 1st 7 on the road, I just don't see it happening and I'm completely fine with it. I just want Allen to stay off the field until at least after the bye to avoid having his development stunted and for Benjamin and Zay to become a competent NFL WR duo. Benjamin is watching all of the guys in his draft class get paid and that is terrifying because I sure don't want to give him $14m a year at this point but if he were to leave then good god that position is stripped naked.
I’m not super high on KB and Clay, but they are good and I’d love to see them play with a QB/Offense that actually throws the ball this year.

(For next year) I’d take KB/Clay/McCoy over any other WR/TE/RB combo in the AFCE... Give Brady those 3 next year instead of Gronk and Co. and he would murder defenses.

Im emphasizing “next year” because it’s pretty clear Clay and Shady have a year or two left with us and KB’s future in Buffalo hinges on him proving he can be healthy all year. Luckily for us RB is a position we can address in the draft with ease and we have a ton of cap space in ‘19.

Bills had a nice 1st round, got the right Josh.

This one is a Bills QB, tough, big arm, ready for the cold...not the entitled, snowflake, SoCal millennial one.

Jets did what they had to do, it’s sucks that Darnold will be a bust, but they had to try.

Could’ve been worse, they could’ve drafted a backup, dime a dozen RB like the pats did.

BB might be tanking them...

One way to look at things is if the Bills had the typical one pick per round and were selecting at the 22nd spot. We just landed Allen and Edmunds with our first and second round picks!

This one is a Bills QB, tough, big arm, ready for the cold...not the entitled, snowflake, SoCal millennial one.

Jets did what they had to do, it’s sucks that Darnold will be a bust, but they had to try.

Could’ve been worse, they could’ve drafted a backup, dime a dozen RB like the pats did.

You think Allen will be better than Darnold - LOL !!!!

Even if Darnold busts, Allen will be a bigger bust.

How does anyone know what Allen will do since he played with a cast of misfits his career? he had the best measurable s and wonderlik.
Great arm and solid feet, he may be another big ben.

Even as a bust he is a step up above tyrod.

How does anyone know what Allen will do since he played with a cast of misfits his career? he had the best measurable s and wonderlik.

I think Allen is more similar to Cam Newton than Big Ben. I'm very happy with how last night went. I've thought Allen and Darnold were the top 2 on the Bills board throughout the process. Would have been nice to have those 2nd rounders to address WR and OLine, but there's a lot of WRs to be had on Day 3 (I'm also sneaky worried that McBeane think they're fine with what they have at WR, but we'll see).

I think Allen is more similar to Cam Newton than Big Ben. I'm very happy with how last night went. I've thought Allen and Darnold were the top 2 on the Bills board throughout the process. Would have been nice to have those 2nd rounders to address WR and OLine, but there's a lot of WRs to be had on Day 3 (I'm also sneaky worried that McBeane think they're fine with what they have at WR, but we'll see).
They brought in a couple WRs for workouts so there’s that.

I can’t see how they’re ok with Benjamin, Zay and Kerley but they may be.

I’d be happy with a potential starter at WR or TE tonight.

O-Line, it seems like they’re just throwing bodies at every position aside from Dawkins/LT. Lots of competition...not a lot of proven talent.

This entire post is absurd from top to bottom.

Because some people know everything duh. The folks who just speak as if their opinion is a certainty are the ones that truly are incredible.

O-Line, it seems like they’re just throwing bodies at every position aside from Dawkins/LT. Lots of competition...not a lot of proven talent.

I wonder if they make the Cordy deal if they knew Richie was going to call it quits. I think they still probably do because of his contract/availability issues and he wasn't one of their guys but losing 3/5 of the line all within a month is wild.

It would be a disaster if we didn't go WR with our 3rd pick unless someone slips that they are in love with. At the very least our 4th rd pick should be a WR. Next two picks should be WR/OL. I think Incognito will end up back on the field this year as well for us, makes way to much sense for both parties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom