Buffalo Bills 2018 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2018

Right, this just guarantees it. That's too much money for a guy that I don't think is going to make enough of a difference in your win/loss record to earn that type of money.
I honestly don't care what he costs. I'd prefer a real QB (non-stop gap) and to not trade away all our draft ammo. Cousins does that and seems like a natural fit in Buffalo.

If I was GM, get Cousins and rebuild the Front 7 in the Draft with a 3rd Round RB sprinkled in.

I honestly don't care what he costs. I'd prefer a real QB (non-stop gap) and to not trade away all our draft ammo. Cousins does that and seems like a natural fit in Buffalo.

If I was GM, get Cousins and rebuild the Front 7 in the Draft with a 3rd Round RB sprinkled in.

Idk I could see Cousins being a highly mediocre QB who commands top dollar and destroys your cap situation for 5 years.

Idk I could see Cousins being a highly mediocre QB who commands top dollar and destroys your cap situation for 5 years.
Very well could be, but that's the best chance I see at us finally hitting on a QB. The potential is there for him to be a big time QB. Otherwise we kick the can down the road until next year, or the next.. or trade away our stockpile and next years draft picks possibly to move up into the Top 5-8. That leaves Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson as our options if we draft a QB high.

Very well could be, but that's the best chance I see at us finally hitting on a QB. The potential is there for him to be a big time QB. Otherwise we kick the can down the road until next year, or the next.. or trade away our stockpile and next years draft picks possibly to move up into the Top 5-8. That leaves Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson as our options if we draft a QB high.

I think there's at least some sort of chance that Mayfield falls to 21, but assuming he doesn't, I'd be ecstatic to have Lamar in Buffalo. I wouldn't touch Rudolph until probably the 4th round though.

I think there's at least some sort of chance that Mayfield falls to 21, but assuming he doesn't, I'd be ecstatic to have Lamar in Buffalo. I wouldn't touch Rudolph until probably the 4th round though.

Lamar is the great QB mystery of the draft to me, so much athleticism. It's a huge gamble but I would much rather take a shot with him than any other qb that would fall to 21 or 22. He could be great, really could. He's been very quiet so far. Bills don't want him to blow up though by any means.

From my perspective, the Bills shouldn’t trade up unless you can get Rosen or Darnold, MAYBE Allen. Mayfield is intriguing and I like him at 21 or 22- but I am not crazy about giving up enormous draft capital to get him. Lamar Jackson is a no- why would you draft a mobile QB when they showed zero ability to leverage Tyrod?

Cousins would represent a huge upgrade but I just don’t see them eating up the cap space. Personally my guess is they reload the roster and go into the season with Peterman and/or some journeyman at the helm...

From my perspective, the Bills shouldn’t trade up unless you can get Rosen or Darnold, MAYBE Allen. Mayfield is intriguing and I like him at 21 or 22- but I am not crazy about giving up enormous draft capital to get him. Lamar Jackson is a no- why would you draft a mobile QB when they showed zero ability to leverage Tyrod?

Cousins would represent a huge upgrade but I just don’t see them eating up the cap space. Personally my guess is they reload the roster and go into the season with Peterman and/or some journeyman at the helm...

Pretty much my worst nightmare.

And regarding Lamar, he’s more comfortable in the pocket than Tyrod and has a lot more potential as both a passer and runner and Daboll isn’t Dennison.

Pretty much my worst nightmare.

And regarding Lamar, he’s more comfortable in the pocket than Tyrod and has a lot more potential as both a passer and runner and Daboll isn’t Dennison.

Agree, Lamar wasn't a Heisman winner for nothing, he's better in every area that Tyrod at this point in his career with a boatload more potential. I would like to see them get Jackson and a journeyman that can start day 1 and bring Jackson along.

Dennsion tried to fit Tyrod into his west coast scheme, which was an absolute horrible idea but I am not surprised because Dennison doesn't know anything else. If the Eagles taught us anything it's tapering your offense to the QB.. Plain and simple. Jackson may not be the biggest dude but he's tall enough and has stayed healthy for 3 years in college which is saying at least something.

Couple articles past couple days speculating Keeping Tyrod and drafting Lamar
If we're going to stand pat and draft a QB at 21/22, I could live with this.

Still have a bad taste in my mouth from how poorly Tyrod played against Jax, but maybe Daboll will actually play to a mobile QB strengths and not whatever Dennison was trying to do.

If we're going to stand pat and draft a QB at 21/22, I could live with this.

Still have a bad taste in my mouth from how poorly Tyrod played against Jax, but maybe Daboll will actually play to a mobile QB strengths and not whatever Dennison was trying to do.

I am thinking same, who is out there that they will actually go get? I would rather they stay put and draft a QB, I am still not sold that Jackson falls this far given his athleticism, I just think some team will bite before.

If they have to deal the two first picks to get who they want up above I am OK with it, I just hate to see some crazy move up where they move to 5 and give up soo much gambling on a rookie Qb when it's all a gamble.

Jackson may have a higher boom/bust ratio but quite a few of them too other than maybe Rosen/ Darnold and who knows if Rosen will stay healthy or have the chops

I think this is probably the best case scenario if the Bills don't want to basically tank this upcoming season. I don't think the vets that Buffalo can acquire would be upgrades over Tyrod. If Buffalo intends to make a push up the draft board to get a guy like Darnold, then sure, dumping Tyrod is probably fine as it would save a decent amount of money.

In the very least, I think Buffalo should probably just pay Tyrod the $6 million that's due on the 3rd day of the new league year or whatever it is and then keep him on the roster and see what happens as draft day rolls around. In the very least doing so makes Tyrod more trade-able.

I am thinking same, who is out there that they will actually go get? I would rather they stay put and draft a QB, I am still not sold that Jackson falls this far given his athleticism, I just think some team will bite before.

Yeah. I mean, historically speaking, 5 QBs going in the top 20 has only happened once before, but this is a pretty special class and there are a lot of teams in need of a QB. I'm hoping that all that's required on the Bills part is a Josh Freeman-type move where Tampa moved up two spots to make sure they got their guy (which obviously didn't end up working out).

Yeah. I mean, historically speaking, 5 QBs going in the top 20 has only happened once before, but this is a pretty special class and there are a lot of teams in need of a QB. I'm hoping that all that's required on the Bills part is a Josh Freeman-type move where Tampa moved up two spots to make sure they got their guy (which obviously didn't end up working out).

Agreed, if they think they can get the QB they want at say 12-15, then yeah I would like that move but to move up to 1-3, not so much.

I would stay away from Lamar Jackson because I don’t know how durable he’ll be in the NFL.

His superlative athleticism allowed him to avoid taking many direct hits in college. The same speed gap he enjoyed in the ACC won’t exist in the NFL.

I also think his athleticism created time to read and throw that also won’t be available in the NFL.

I hope the kid is successful in the NFL. I view his insane athletic ability as a hindrance to developing the skills & toughness needed to be a franchise QB.

I’d prefer a Mayfield/Rodgers type - athletic enough to avoid big hits and used to having less time than being able to scramble 25 yards away from the pocket and set up.

I would stay away from Lamar Jackson because I don’t know how durable he’ll be in the NFL.

His superlative athleticism allowed him to avoid taking many direct hits in college. The same speed gap he enjoyed in the ACC won’t exist in the NFL.

I also think his athleticism created time to read and throw that also won’t be available in the NFL.

I hope the kid is successful in the NFL. I view his insane athletic ability as a hindrance to developing the skills & toughness needed to be a franchise QB.

I’d prefer a Mayfield/Rodgers type - athletic enough to avoid big hits and used to having less time than being able to scramble 25 yards away from the pocket and set up.

yep and that is the argument against him for sure and hence the pause on him for many, will be interesting to see where we ends up. Other than guys like Big Ben, Cam, Wentz ( who all have been hurt FWIW) what QB in the NFL can take a ton of hits without getting hurt.

The speed of the game is an adjustment for every rookie at all positions.

yep and that is the argument against him for sure and hence the pause on him for many, will be interesting to see where we ends up. Other than guys like Big Ben, Cam, Wentz ( who all have been hurt FWIW) what QB in the NFL can take a ton of hits without getting hurt.

The speed of the game is an adjustment for every rookie at all positions.

Good point about the bigger QBs you mention above although I’d put Cam & Wentz in a separate category than Big Ben.

I think Buffalo shouldn’t go crazy trying to get a franchise QB this year.

Sure, if a QB prospect falls in the draft or they have an opportunity to roll the dice in a later round then take a crack.

Free agent “franchise” QBs never work out because they break the cap. The Bills have a great opportunity over the next 2-3 drafts to really craft a multi-year contender.

I think they’re better off doing that then trying to win now with a Cousins.

The only reason I think Cousins could work, even with the cap busting price tag, is our stockpile of draft picks. Five premium picks allows us to possibly hit on 5-6 starters this year on rookie contracts.

Assuming Gaines gets a stupid high contract offer and we sign Cousins and can't afford him:

Round 1 - DT/DB
Round 2 - LB/LB
Round 3 - Interior OL
Round 4 - RB
Round 5 - BPA/BPA

2019 draft we focus on OL/WR/DT.

Also factor in Dareus $$$ coming off the books next year, Kyle retiring this year or next, Wood $$$ off the books next year and McCoy and his $$$ wont be here for the full duration of a Cousins contract.

Last edited:
Ye
Good point about the bigger QBs you mention above although I’d put Cam & Wentz in a separate category than Big Ben.

I think Buffalo shouldn’t go crazy trying to get a franchise QB this year.

Sure, if a QB prospect falls in the draft or they have an opportunity to roll the dice in a later round then take a crack.

Free agent “franchise” QBs never work out because they break the cap. The Bills have a great opportunity over the next 2-3 drafts to really craft a multi-year contender.

I think they’re better off doing that then trying to win now with a Cousins.
If only Peterman had shown something, this draft would be like Christmas.

The only reason I think Cousins could work, even with the cap busting price tag, is our stockpile of draft picks. Five premium picks allows us to possibly hit on 5-6 starters this year on rookie contracts.

Assuming Gaines gets a stupid high contract offer and we sign Cousins and can't afford him:

Round 1 - DT/DB
Round 2 - LB/LB
Round 3 - Interior OL
Round 4 - RB
Round 5 - BPA/BPA

2019 draft we focus on OL/WR/DT.

Also factor in Dareus $$$ coming off the books next year, Kyle retiring this year or next, Wood $$$ off the books next year and McCoy and his $$$ wont be here for the full duration of a Cousins contract.

That’s an awful lot of positions of need & draft picks to bank on none of those rookies being a bust.

Cousins, or any big $$ free agent QB, eliminates draft margin for error.

I prefer not to remove that margin for error from my front office.

And all it takes is one hit for Kirky to put Buffalo back into cap purgatory. Then all of those well selected rookies leave Buffalo as free agents because Cousins’ contract ate the cap space needed to re-sign them.

No thanks.

That’s an awful lot of positions of need & draft picks to bank on none of those rookies being a bust.

Cousins, or any big $$ free agent QB, eliminates draft margin for error.

I prefer not to remove that margin for error from my front office.

And all it takes is one hit for Kirky to put Buffalo back into cap purgatory. Then all of those well selected rookies leave Buffalo as free agents because Cousins’ contract ate the cap space needed to re-sign them.

No thanks.
You can't assume your QB gets hurt. If it happens, it happens.

Let's say it gets all the way to 5 years $150 mil.. We have a ton of cap space coming off the books soon and McCoy will be retired by then.

Rookie contracts being 4 years with a 5th year team option means those rookie contracts last throughout the Cousins contract.

I'd say I'm ok with 3 options:

-Sign Cousins

-Keep Tyrod, Draft Jackson or slight trade up for Mayfield.

-Sending both our firsts and a pick next year for Darnold. Move Tyrod and address holes with mid level free agents since we'll then have some cap space.

Agree, Lamar wasn't a Heisman winner for nothing, he's better in every area that Tyrod at this point in his career with a boatload more potential. I would like to see them get Jackson and a journeyman that can start day 1 and bring Jackson along.

Dennsion tried to fit Tyrod into his west coast scheme, which was an absolute horrible idea but I am not surprised because Dennison doesn't know anything else. If the Eagles taught us anything it's tapering your offense to the QB.. Plain and simple. Jackson may not be the biggest dude but he's tall enough and has stayed healthy for 3 years in college which is saying at least something.

Totally agree with you re: Dennison but saying Jackson is better than Tyrod at this point isn't going to get us to where we want to go. Agree that Daboll is going to be a big upgrade (almost by default) but I am just skeptical that Jackson isn't an NFL athlete first and a QB second. Now, if they can use one of the 2s or 3s to grab him? For the price that just might be okay...but my hope then is the Bills fully commit to an offense with RPO elements similar to what we saw the Eagles run and not try to convert him into a standard pocket passer.

You can't assume your QB gets hurt. If it happens, it happens.

Let's say it gets all the way to 5 years $150 mil.. We have a ton of cap space coming off the books soon and McCoy will be retired by then.

Rookie contracts being 4 years with a 5th year team option means those rookie contracts last throughout the Cousins contract.

I'd say I'm ok with 3 options:

-Sign Cousins

-Keep Tyrod, Draft Jackson or slight trade up for Mayfield.

-Sending both our firsts and a pick next year for Darnold. Move Tyrod and address holes with mid level free agents since we'll then have some cap space.

I’m not assuming the free agent QB gets hurt.

Peyton Manning is the only free agent QB to have playoff success with his new team. And he didn’t sign for the max available to win one with Denver.

No other free agent QB has had any playoff success.

Buffalo has to find their next QB in the draft if they want to build a multi-year contender.

If this year doesn’t present the best opportunity to draft that QB then try again next year.

I don’t think this year’s draft has a can’t miss QB worth trading up for.

Buffalo will be fine next year (even with Tyrod) with their strong run game, defense and a new OC who will probably not call Fatty Boom-Ba-Latty up the gut on 3rd & 6.

All this being said, Beane and McDermott have their work cut out for them. I hate to take a step back with a rookie QB, overpay a free agent..etc.

Not sure what the right way to go is... not an easy choice.
Worst case is trading way up and the qb really struggles next year. That would suck but it happens

I'm ok with this scenario. Tyrod is and always will be a game manager and might not be a bad thing for him to help develop Lamar.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of getting Bridgwater from the Vikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom