Buffalo Bills 2019 | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2019

I'm going a full game over Vegas and people think I'm being a downer. Thats how out of control expectations are. Got friends telling me that Its going to be 10+.

One factor no one discusses is that Barkley is probably the best backup QB since Reich.

Absolutely am a fan of his and have high hopes, they are just realistic. Guy isn't going to all of a sudden be a 65% comp guy. That's going to take multiple years if ever and the addition of legitimate skill position talent which we are severely lacking. My issue is that there are 0 above average starters on the entire offense. Morse is the only one that is even arguable and we'll see how well he does with very limited reps going into the season.
A lot of this team is based on potential, so I get that they have to prove it on the field.

The defense is loaded with above average talent and depth (I do want to see pressure outside Hughes step up and the run defense better than last year) but we can talk about offense...

The OL has a bunch of guys that could grade out as above average players. Dawkins entering his 3rd year. Ford as a rookie. Nsehke as a talented guy finally getting his shot. Morse, if he stays healthy.

RB by committee, the NE approach (and the right approach to the position imo) is never going to have a bell cow guy. I’d say this running back unit has the potential to be very good. Shady - Gore - Singletary etc.

Tight End, again, all potential. Kroft is an average TE and we have 2 rookies in Knox and Sweeney (if he makes the 53)

WR - No #1’s, but Brown is an above average deep threat. Beasley is an above average slot. Zay & Foster are potential.

This offense will either be elevated or held down by Allen. He has the tools around him, defense behind him, and the schedule, to have a playoff season.

You are heavily on the hype train right now. I still can't see more than 8 wins max unless the D has a season turnover wise like last years Bears.
I’m not on a hype train. I’m in the I’ve watched the games train and know what I’m looking at train.

I don’t see anything close to a mess.

A lot of this team is based on potential, so I get that they have to prove it on the field.

The defense is loaded with above average talent and depth (I do want to see pressure outside Hughes step up and the run defense better than last year) but we can talk about offense...

The OL has a bunch of guys that could grade out as above average players. Dawkins entering his 3rd year. Ford as a rookie. Nsehke as a talented guy finally getting his shot. Morse, if he stays healthy.

RB by committee, the NE approach (and the right approach to the position imo) is never going to have a bell cow guy. I’d say this running back unit has the potential to be very good. Shady - Gore - Singletary etc.

Tight End, again, all potential. Kroft is an average TE and we have 2 rookies in Knox and Sweeney (if he makes the 53)

WR - No #1’s, but Brown is an above average deep threat. Beasley is an above average slot. Zay & Foster are potential.

This offense will either be elevated or held down by Allen. He has the tools around him, defense behind him, and the schedule, to have a playoff season.

The thing I can't get past with Brown is that 2 years in a row he was not resigned by teams that have crap at WR. With the way the cap skyrockets every year, any vet that hits FA usually has some fairly major flaw if they weren't resigned and our offense is basically built with a bunch of thise dudes.

The thing I can't get past with Brown is that 2 years in a row he was not resigned by teams that have crap at WR. With the way the cap skyrockets every year, any vet that hits FA usually has some issues.
Health was the reason for the first team, I think?

Lamar Jackson centric offense was the reason for the Ravens.

Health was the reason for the first team, I think?

Lamar Jackson centric offense was the reason for the Ravens.

Both teams used early picks on similar small speed guys as soon as he left so who knows.

Im drinking the Kool Aid. Anything less than 10 wins will be disappointing to me.

I’m not on a hype train. I’m in the I’ve watched the games train and know what I’m looking at train.

I don’t see anything close to a mess.

So looking at preseason games in which parts of the offense have played together with bland playcalling for a few series? Might as well give me next weeks Powerball numbers. So are you expecting 10+ wins as well?

So looking at preseason games in which parts of the offense have played together with bland playcalling for a few series? Might as well give me next weeks Powerball numbers. So are you expecting 10+ wins as well?
I’m not expecting 10+ wins. I think we’re all beaten down enough from the last 20 years to EXPECT that.

However, on paper we are better.

The o-line killed us last year. We couldn’t establish a running game at all. I think the @Jets game and Minnesota game were the only games where handing it off to the running back was somewhat pleasant to watch. Josh, although scatterbrained because he was a rookie, rarely had time to stand in the pocket.

The o-line has been overhauled. Top 5 Center, 1st round graded G/T who looks the part and has shown competence and nastiness this preseason, talented LT going into is 3rd year, competent players in Feliciano, Spain, Long, & Nsekhe.

The offense is light years ahead of where it was at this time last year.

Even if everything else was equal from last year I like our chances to win 9ish games

The cherry on top is that Allen is in year two - we added Beasley, Brown, Singletary, Gore, & a new fleet of intriguing TE’s.

And the D will have a freak athlete at the Mike who is in his second year and looking primed. Most talented and deepest secondary I’ve seen since the 1999 squad. The 8th pick in the draft at DT. And we pretty much know what we’ll get from the rest with McD scheming it all up.

This team is ready to compete this year at a high level. There will not be lopsided games this year. Plus we have a much easier schedule. Its time to take it to the opponent. I believe we can this year.

Last edited:
Would love to turn Bodine into Josh Doctson. Salary is doable. Guy would likely walk into the locker room and be the most talented WR on the team. Not quite sure why it never clicked for him in Wash but would love to take a shot with a $1.2m base. Only thing that gives me pause being that he seems to have been avail all spring/summer with no takers so not sure if he has a fatal flaw like Treadwell does with his lack of separation or if the price has just been a bit too high until cutdown day arrived. Would just seem like a scenario with a proper risk/reward ratio.

I’m not expecting 10+ wins. I think we’re all beaten down enough from the last 20 years to EXPECT that.

However, on paper we are better.

The o-line killed us last year. We couldn’t establish a running game at all. I think the @Jets game and Minnesota game were the only games where handing it off to the running back was somewhat pleasant to watch. Josh, although scatterbrained because he was a rookie, rarely had time to stand in the pocket.

The o-line has been overhauled. Top 5 Center, 1st round graded G/T who looks the part and has shown competence and nastiness this preseason, talented LT going into is 3rd year, competent players in Feliciano, Spain, Long, & Nsekhe.

The offense is light years ahead of where it was at this time last year.

Even if everything else was equal from last year I like our chances to win 9ish games

The cherry on top is that Allen is in year two - we added Beasley, Brown, Singletary, Gore, & a new fleet of intriguing TE’s.

And the D will have a freak athlete at the Mike who is in his second year and looking primed. Most talented and deepest secondary I’ve seen since the 1999 squad. The 8th pick in the draft at DT. And we pretty much know what we’ll get from the rest with McD scheming it all up.

This team is ready to compete this year at a high level. There will not be lopsided games this year. Plus we have a much easier schedule. Its time to take it to the opponent. I believe we can this year.
This is a great post, NateW, and summarizes how I feel about this year’s team. MUCH stronger roster top to bottom with significant effort made to address areas of weakness and build depth. Really impressed with Beane’s work as I noted before. When you combine that with an easier schedule- the optimist in me thinks 10-6/dare I say 11-5? is not out of the question. But the reality is this year is going to rise and fall with Allen and the offense.

The first four weeks are going to be a great barometer from the season. If Buffalo is as good as we hope there is no reason they can’t be 3-0 going into the Pats game at home week 4. The Jets have multiple injuries/suspensions and let’s just say we all have some questions on the Giants secondary. Cincy at home is no insurmountable obstacle. If we emerge the first quarter at 3-1 with having given the Pats a really good game (or even a W) with a dynamic offense, let the dreaming begin. 2-2 or 1-3...and it is the same hope for 9-7 and the second wild card spot.

Cuts leaking out:

Lacey, Peko, Tyree Jackson, DUKE WILLIAMS, Munnerlyn, Ray Ray, Murphy, Magnuson, Acho, McCoy, Ryan Lewis, Jarron Jones, Pitts, Cam Lewis

Last edited:
Cuts leaking out:

Lacey, Peko, Tyree Jackson, DUKE WILLIAMS
Meh.. I was on the bandwagon but it seems most preseason WRs fans love don’t end up doing much, so I’ll trust the FO.

Zay, for the love of all that’s good, better do something this year.

Wow, did not see that coming. So, Gore, Yeldon, Singletary and Perry at RB, with DiMarco at FB?

Think we're looking at Singletary as RB1 with Gore to be the 1st/2nd down RB2 and Yeldon as a timeshare 3rd down guy. Honestly think the ceiling on the offense just increased a tad.

Wow, did not see that coming. So, Gore, Yeldon, Singletary and Perry at RB, with DiMarco at FB?
I hope. I like Perry more than Murphy.

I thought Shady looked fine in P-Week 3... Definitely wasn’t expecting this after that game.

Singletary did look like a beast in preseason.

At least we’ll finally see north/south Running again.

Meh.. I was on the bandwagon but it seems most preseason WRs fans love don’t end up doing much, so I’ll trust the FO.

Zay, for the love of all that’s good, better do something this year.
Damn Duke. Guy could block and catch.

I hope. I like Perry more than Murphy.

I thought Shady looked fine in P-Week 3... Definitely wasn’t expecting this after that game.

Singletary did look like a beast in preseason.

At least we’ll finally see north/south Running again.
I have not been a huge fan of Shady but am shocked by this one- cold, calculated move to save $6m+ in cap space. Frankly I was tired of his ability to turn a one yard gain into a five yard loss. And that doesn’t even mention the off the field antics. Mr. Singletary, come on down...

I have not been a huge fan of Shady but am shocked by this one- cold, calculated move to save $6m+ in cap space. Frankly I was tired of his ability to turn a one yard gain into a five yard loss. And that doesn’t even mention the off the field antics. Mr. Singletary, come on down...
I honestly thought he was a phenomenal teammate and great locker room guy. Even guys like Eric Wood, who understands the move, tweeted about that this morning.

I am definitely feeling some type of way about Shady being cut. He’s synonymous with ending the drought and fighting through injury to play in the playoff game. That said, I am excited to see what Singletary can do as a feature back. He’s looked like a serious weapon.

It has to simply be a player eval move, no? We already have a ton of cap space, what’s a few mil more... who are we spending that on this year?

I honestly thought he was a phenomenal teammate and great locker room guy. Even guys like Eric Wood, who understands the move, tweeted about that this morning.

I am definitely feeling some type of way about Shady being cut. He’s synonymous with ending the drought and fighting through injury to play in the playoff game. That said, I am excited to see what Singletary can do as a feature back. He’s looked like a serious weapon.

It has to simply be a player eval move, no? We already have a ton of cap space, what’s a few mil more... who are we spending that on this year?

Gotta be that they feel like with our line that they want guys who are going to go get the yards blocked for them and less interested in a boom or bust running style from a 31 year old with more bust than boom of late. Opening up an extra $6m in basically Sept isn't the best use of resources but I guess they can use it to outbid others on some other teams cutdown guys, use it to work on some extensions or I guess just roll it over.

Shady was a good Bill - a true warrior who often played hurt.

His salary has been sticking out like a sore thumb for awhile now. Singletary proving that he is ready this summer made him totally expendable. Now they can keep a special teams guy instead, like Perry.

It sucks, but it makes too much sense.

One last thing - like I said - I love Shady and I still think he has virtually the same speed and wiggle that he always had but he really began avoiding contact like plague last year. He didn’t like it before much but last year he would fold up quicker than Bledsoe used to when he saw any glimmer of a pass rush.

Plus, got Singletary in one of my Fantasy leagues!

Shady was a good Bill - a true warrior who often played hurt.

His salary has been sticking out like a sore thumb for awhile now. Singletary proving that he is ready this summer made him totally expendable. Now they can keep a special teams guy instead, like Perry.

It sucks, but it makes too much sense.

One last thing - like I said - I love Shady and I still think he has virtually the same speed and wiggle that he always had but he really began avoiding contact like plague last year. He didn’t like it before much but last year he would fold up quicker than Bledsoe used to when he saw any glimmer of a pass rush.

Plus, got Singletary in one of my Fantasy leagues!

To your point, finished 55th of 56 in yds after contact. Unless you have the Hogs up front, that's not gonna work out too well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom