Buffalo Bills 2019 | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2019

As if they didn't vs the Jets & Titans? IDK not surprised either way I guess.
What would've surprised me is an average # of points teams have vs the Browns this year.

The Browns came in giving up 25 points/game, and that's not factoring in defensive/ST points allowed. Offense scored 14, and Allen's missed throws notwithstanding, should have scored 20, if Hauschka did HIS job.

Mariota was benched and I think most would agree that Darnold has regressed. Also, those games were before the Dolphins (yes, the pathetic Dolphins) exposed the Bills sieve-like run defense.

It’s bad. Daboll is a problem to me at this point, even tho our O talent is lacking.
The lack of Singletary and the excessive deep shots on 3rd and shorts all season are worthy criticism.

Some of it is overblown though. He schemes up open guys deep 2-3 times per game and Allen is in a complete funk with his deep throws. We also have, what seems to be, a lot of drops. The Roberts drops was inexcusable.. and why is he even out there running routes?... that’s right, because it leads to our main offensive issue... lack of talent.

We desperately need a legit WR opposite Brown and a playmaker RB to replace Gore. Brown, Knox, Beasley and Singletary are nice pieces, and the OL is good enough, but lack of deep ball accuracy and playmakers is THE biggest reason we aren’t scoring 25+ per game.

The 53 yarder didn't even have the length. An NFL kicker can't reach from 53?

Forgot which game it was last year, but he was short on an even shorter attempt, and it wasn't a weather issue

bad decision, but even if he sees Beasley there, does Hauschka miss a 43-yarder, instead of a 53-yarder?

Was any explanation given as to why they burned 25-30 seconds off the clock just before that play?

The defense is in desperate need of playmakers - the pass rush has been anemic, at best, and we've really struggled to force turnovers. When I saw the huge cushions we were giving up early on the GW drive for the Browns, I knew we were toast.

bad decision, but even if he sees Beasley there, does Hauschka miss a 43-yarder, instead of a 53-yarder?

Was any explanation given as to why they burned 25-30 seconds off the clock just before that play?

The defense is in desperate need of playmakers - the pass rush has been anemic, at best, and we've really struggled to force turnovers. When I saw the huge cushions we were giving up early on the GW drive for the Browns, I knew we were toast.

The defense is barely on my radar at this point. They do their job at a level to win NFL games. One unit is 3rd in PPG and the other is 22nd and dropping. Any complaints about the D are fairly ridiculous.

The defense is barely on my radar at this point. They do their job at a level to win NFL games. One unit is 3rd in PPG and the other is 22nd and dropping. Any complaints about the D are fairly ridiculous.

Disagree - if you can't admit that they've been gashed on the ground for the past 4 games, then I don't know what to say.

In the past 5 games, I believe we've forced two turnovers (both forced by Tre White, against Miami).

And the pass rush - especially the front 4 - is pretty weak. Who had the sacks today?

The offense was bad today, absolutely no doubt about it, but they handed the defense the lead, with 5:00 left, and the defense couldn't shut the door.

Disagree - if you can't admit that they've been gashed on the ground for the past 4 games, then I don't know what to say.

In the past 5 games, I believe we've forced two turnovers (both forced by Tre White, against Miami).

And the pass rush - especially the front 4 - is pretty weak. Who had the sacks today?

The offense was bad today, absolutely no doubt about it, but they handed the defense the lead, with 5:00 left, and the defense couldn't shut the door.

Thats similar to being mad about the zone on Wed for giving up 48. If I could be guaranteed to give up 19 every week while scoring 2 for all 16 games I'd sign up for that. The offense is garbage, has been garbage and will continue to be. If you can't complete a pass 30 yards down field through 9 games then you're the problem.

Steelers D just put on a clinic on how to close out a game.

Their offense didn't score a TD, so the defense went out and scored themselves, on one of their 4 turnovers forced.

Thats similar to being mad about the zone on Wed for giving up 48. If I could be guaranteed to give up 19 every week while scoring 2 for all 16 games I'd sign up for that. The offense is garbage, has been garbage and will continue to be. If you can't complete a pass 30 yards down field through 9 games then you're the problem.

If we were up 46-45, and we gave up a wide open 3 pointer, which cost us the game, then yes, I'd be mad at the defense.

Defense allowed completions on over 68% of Mayfield's pass attempts, and over 5.5 yards per rushing attempt (be it Chubb, Hunt or Mayfield). That's not good, no matter how desperately one tries to spin it.

If we were up 46-45, and we gave up a wide open 3 pointer, which cost us the game, then yes, I'd be mad at the defense.

Defense allowed completions on over 68% of Mayfield's pass attempts, and over 5.5 yards per rushing attempt (be it Chubb, Hunt or Mayfield). That's not good, no matter how desperately one tries to spin it.
Certainly not desperate. Team is 3rd in ppg allowed and will still be after today.

Certainly not desperate. Team is 3rd in ppg allowed and will still be after today.

middle of the pack in turnovers and sacks. can't always rely on the opposing kicker to miss FGs.

the defense playing subpar and the offensive being ineffective are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Today is a prime example of that.

Starting QBs faced this year;

1. Darnold - trying out for an M. Night movie as we speak
2. Eli - Benched
3. Dalton - Benched
4. Brady - best defensive performance of the year, IMO
5. Mariota - benched
6. Fitz - started year as backup
7. Wentz - windstorm, but defense was annihilated by Howard and Sanders
8. Haskins - first NFL start
9. Mayfield - meh. overrated.

My issue is that it’s a sliding scale...

We’ve invested so much into this defense and we still need an EDGE as our pass rush from the front 4 is nonexistent, our run defense is utter garbage lately and it may be time to start looking at DB2 upgrade options. We create no turnovers because we have no pass rush.

The offense is still in need of playmakers and we all knew it wouldn’t be “complete” until after this offseason.. Unless Allen can figure out his deep ball woes, it’s going to be a slog game in/game out. We become about 100x less dynamic when Gore comes in for Singletary. Teams can shade their coverage towards Brown... look what Landry did when we locked Tre White up on Odell.

All in all... this defense should be better. They should be dominant given the resources allocated and they’re simply “good”... a Top 10 defense, sure, but not a defense that can carry us to the playoffs.. Our playmaker bereft offense is going to have to figure it out to beat one of Bal, Dal, Pit or NE.

Last edited:

The pass rush is okay; they just aren't really even trying for sacks for the most part. They're generally ranked among the top 5-15 in terms of pass rush success, but they're mainly trying to collapse the pocket and make the QB uncomfortable rather than going for sacks and risking losing contain.

Run defense is a genuinely serious issue though.

Having said that, it all comes back to the offense. If the defense doesn't hold the opponent under like 14 points, it's probably a loss. I love Allen but the holes in his game are pretty clearly holding the offense back right now; which is okay in the long-term, but it's going to end up putting the playoffs in doubt.

My issue is that it’s a sliding scale...

We’ve invested so much into this defense and we still need an EDGE as our pass rush from the front 4 is nonexistent, our run defense is utter garbage lately and it may be time to start looking at DB2 upgrade options. We create no turnovers because we have no pass rush.

The offense is still in need of playmakers and we all knew it wouldn’t be “complete” until after this offseason.. Unless Allen can figure out his deep ball woes, it’s going to be a slog game in/game out. We become about 100x less dynamic when Gore comes in for Singletary. Teams can shade their coverage towards Brown... look what Landry did when we locked Tre White up on Odell.

All in all... this defense should be better. They should be dominant given the resources allocated and they’re simply “good”... a Top 10 defense, sure, but not a defense that can carry us to the playoffs.. Our playmaker bereft offense is going to have to figure it out to beat one of Bal, Dal, Pit or NE.

IDK are the investments that lopsided? We traded up what eight times for Allen, Ford & Zay Jones plus the highest paid Center.

I can see us going Defense in the 1st again this year if we can get a WR in FA.

My dream would be to sign Amari Cooper and Kareem Hunt if they shake loose.

Pass on Hunt - guy is an absolute POS. Yes, please to Cooper, though.

Agree with you regarding the 1st round this year - help at DE and DT is definitely needed. LB, as well.

Pass on Hunt - guy is an absolute POS. Yes, please to Cooper, though.

Agree with you regarding the 1st round this year - help at DE and DT is definitely needed. LB, as well.
I doubt we’d be in on Hunt, but he and Singletary would be an absurd rotation as neither guy is a workhorse back. It would be an ideal situation.

I doubt we go LB high. They like Thompson to take over for Lorax. DT, we have Harry coming back and, hopefully, will resign Jordan Phillips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom