Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread

I’m watching people whine about Green Bay not giving Rodgers help when they keep going defense and investing in the defense (aside from Jordan Love, of course)

Wouldn’t us coming out of this off-season with only really replacing Brown with Sanders be GB like actions?

Josh Allen’s only proven talent is in going 4 wide with good pass pro.

Hope that we can develop a run game.

Hope that mid round RBs can elevate.

Hope that mid-late round TE’s can elevate.

I’m just sayin...
Big difference was GB was coming off an NFC championship game appearance and decided to trade up for. Qb in rd 1 and then took a backup rb in rd 2. That was a truly insane thing to do.

I’m watching people whine about Green Bay not giving Rodgers help when they keep going defense and investing in the defense (aside from Jordan Love, of course)

Wouldn’t us coming out of this off-season with only really replacing Brown with Sanders be GB like actions?

I’m just sayin...
Key difference is that we've done the work surrounding him with a lot of talent the past few years. Trading for Diggs, signing Beasley/Brown/Sanders, spending early picks on Davis/Knox/Singletary/Moss.

Green Bay hasn't spent a 1st round pick on a skill position guy since they got Rodgers. Their last 5 drafts they've spent their Day 1 and Day 2 picks on:

2016: DT, OT (who has never been a starter), OLB
2017: CB, S, DT
2018: CB, CB, LB
2019: LB, S, C, TE (who has barely gotten snaps)
2020: QB, RB (who was a reach at the time and is now locked in as a backup), TE (who was generally a healthy scratch)

I do think there's an argument to be made that when you have a QB like Rodgers, you should focus more on the defense and rely on your star QB to elevate the offense, but they've generally been below-average defensively despite all of these investments on that side of the ball, so they've essentially left him to elevate relatively untalented offensive guys while also not giving him a defense to compliment them.

Big difference was GB was coming off an NFC championship game appearance and decided to trade up for. Qb in rd 1 and then took a backup rb in rd 2. That was a truly insane thing to do.

And then spent cap space to keep their starting RB

Yes, but it was basically all coverage sacks/plays where other people's pressure led the QB to just run into Rousseau. His tape doesn't really stand out at all but he has the body and motor to become a good player. I imagine the hope will be for him to eventually be able to play on the edge on 1st and 2nd down and kick inside on 3rd down; kinda like a Calais Campbell. But for now, he has a lot of developing to do before he can be relied on.
Yep Calais and Chandler type

I’m just sayin...

Well the difference is Buffalo spent a 1st round pick and then some on Diggs last year and brought in Sanders this year plus back to back 3rd round picks on RB's. I do think looking to take a TE makes a lot of sense as Knox is uneven. The two WR's in last years draft make WR less of a need but if someone is there we like we should probably pull the trigger.

I'm gonna wait until the draft is over before giving full judgement. I think the big difference is Rodgers is at the end of his career and there's more pressure on him to win another ring or two instead of being just a one ring guy. Allen still has a lot of his career left.

I bet the Bills draft a C or WR in the middle rounds, and maybe they still pull an Ertz trade.
I mean at this point what do the Eagles think they can get when it's generally conceded they'll have to cut him? It appears the Bills aren't going to extend Allen this off season so maybe they could afford Ertz for a season or two.

Well the difference is Buffalo spent a 1st round pick and then some on Diggs last year and brought in Sanders this year plus back to back 3rd round picks on RB's. I do think looking to take a TE makes a lot of sense as Knox is uneven. The two WR's in last years draft make WR less of a need but if someone is there we like we should probably pull the trigger.
Knox needs to carry a football in his hands 24/7 during the off season.

Agreed 100%, but people do bring up the lack of investment on that side of the ball for Rodgers.

I’m simply saying that the level of investment, especially given the return last year on defense, is wearing on me.

Yes, we’ve given Allen good pass pro and 4 good WR’s - arguably Allen is the one who made people view Diggs as Top 3, Beasley as the top slot, Davis a steal in RD4 etc..

Never the less, kudos to the FO for transforming a dumpster fire of OL and WR’s his rookie year to a Top 10 pass pro OL and Top 5 WR room.

THAT SAID...

Nonexistent run game.

Mid-late round picks at Tight End. No heavy investment in FA.

Mid-Round picks at RB.

KC has a Top 5 WR room. The top TE. Drafted a RB early. Then went bonkers in FA when their OL was exposed to try and fix it.

We were exposed by KC on Offense as well... We re-signed our OL guys, signed Breida and swapped out Brown for Sanders. So far.

Hindsight is 20/20 but we could’ve drafted Rousseau and trade up for JOK tonight, then used Addison/Milano money for a TE, or signed a pass rusher and drafted Offense.

Of course I have the benefit of knowing how the draft played out last night, but FO types typically have an idea.

I hope to be proven wrong tonight in my worry that we are taking Allen’s greatness last year for granted in our obsession with defensive investment - and those results lacking thus far.

I mean at this point what do the Eagles think they can get when it's generally conceded they'll have to cut him? It appears the Bills aren't going to extend Allen this off season so maybe they could afford Ertz for a season or two.
Seems like the Colts want him and have the cap for it.

We could cut Hughes or Addison to make room or draft a C and cut Morse.

Agreed 100%, but people do bring up the lack of investment on that side of the ball for Rodgers.

I’m simply saying that the level of investment, especially given the return last year on defense, is wearing on me.

Yes, we’ve given Allen good pass pro and 4 good WR’s - arguably Allen is the one who made people view Diggs as Top 3, Beasley as the top slot, Davis a steal in RD4 etc..

Never the less, kudos to the FO for transforming a dumpster fire of OL and WR’s his rookie year to a Top 10 pass pro OL and Top 5 WR room.

THAT SAID...

Nonexistent run game.

Mid-late round picks at Tight End. No heavy investment in FA.

Mid-Round picks at RB.

KC has a Top 5 WR room. The top TE. Drafted a RB early. Then went bonkers in FA when their OL was exposed to try and fix it.

We were exposed by KC on Offense as well... We re-signed our OL guys, signed Breida and swapped out Brown for Sanders. So far.

Hindsight is 20/20 but we could’ve drafted Rousseau and trade up for JOK tonight, then used Addison/Milano money for a TE, or signed a pass rusher and drafted Offense.

Of course I have the benefit of knowing how the draft played out last night, but FO types typically have an idea.

I hope to be proven wrong tonight in my worry that we are taking Allen’s greatness last year for granted in our obsession with defensive investment - and those results lacking thus far.
These were all Day 2 picks, those are significant investments. I don't really think Knox is panning out to be what we needed. The RBs are fine IMO; I don't think Edwards-Helaire is a significant step up from them.

I think it makes sense to try to build up the defense when you have an elite QB, but even so, looking at the offense:

Diggs - Major trade and contract
Beasley - Signficant FA signing
Brown/Sanders - Short term deals, but significant ones.
Singletary - Day 2 pick
Moss - Day 2 pick
Knox - Day 2 pick
Williams - Significant FA signing
Ford - Day 2 pick that we traded up for
Dawkins - Day 2 pick and major signing
Feliciano - Significant FA signing
Morse - Major FA signing

We've invested a ton in the offense and almost all of them are significant contributors.

These were all Day 2 picks, those are significant investments. I don't really think Knox is panning out to be what we needed. The RBs are fine IMO; I don't think Edwards-Helaire is a significant step up from them.

I think it makes sense to try to build up the defense when you have an elite QB, but even so, looking at the offense:

Diggs - Major trade and contract
Beasley - Signficant FA signing
Brown/Sanders - Short term deals, but significant ones.
Singletary - Day 2 pick
Moss - Day 2 pick
Knox - Day 2 pick
Williams - Significant FA signing
Ford - Day 2 pick that we traded up for
Dawkins - Day 2 pick and major signing
Feliciano - Significant FA signing
Morse - Major FA signing

We've invested a ton in the offense and almost all of them are significant contributors.
My pushback would be that we literally had nothing on offense in Josh Allen’s first year, so of course it will seem to be a lot. We built an offense, basically, from scratch. And the FO deserves a ton of props for that.

I trust the FO, but it’s unfair to Josh to tell him he needs to be the entire offense again with bottom 10 running game, running back and tight end play. The fixes may very well be in-house.

I don’t hate the Rousseau pick. Being compared to Calais Campbell and JPP is high praise. I just am beginning to have the tinge of frustration given that investment plus picks of Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa, now Rousseau, FA $$$ for Milano and Addison still on this roster.

I could see next year being Hughes and Addison's last years. The money freed up from those two can be used on the offense knowing that there's already good draft capital spent on the D-line. Then when Allen's contract extension kicks in 2023 you move out more dead weight and spend the remaining money where needed.

My pushback would be that we literally had nothing on offense in Josh Allen’s first year, so of course it will seem to be a lot. We built an offense, basically, from scratch. And the FO deserves a ton of props for that.

I trust the FO, but it’s unfair to Josh to tell him he needs to be the entire offense again with bottom 10 running game, running back and tight end play. The fixes may very well be in-house.

I don’t hate the Rousseau pick. Being compared to Calais Campbell and JPP is high praise. I just am beginning to have the tinge of frustration given that investment plus picks of Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa, now Rousseau, FA $$$ for Milano and Addison still on this roster.
That's undeniably true. I am curious to see if we end up addressing the OLine in the draft. We seemingly have all the starting spots spoken for already but I think there's more room to improve with the OLine than there is with the RBs.

That's undeniably true. I am curious to see if we end up addressing the OLine in the draft. We seemingly have all the starting spots spoken for already but I think there's more room to improve with the OLine than there is with the RBs.
I still think playmaker WR is a spot. We go 4 wide a lot.

Last year we entered the AFCCG with Diggs, Brown, Beasley and Davis all injured.

I could see next year being Hughes and Addison's last years. The money freed up from those two can be used on the offense knowing that there's already good draft capital spent on the D-line. Then when Allen's contract extension kicks in 2023 you move out more dead weight and spend the remaining money where needed.

Hard to see how it isn't their last years. Hughes has been great but he's slowed down the last few seasons and Buffalo is rewarding him more then anything for this year by keeping him aboard (and our lack of other options). Addison seemed liked a good signing when it occurred but in retrospect we were about 3-4 years late to the party on him.

Last year we entered the AFCCG with Diggs, Brown, Beasley and Davis all injured.

I could see another WR this draft but with the salary cap what it is there is a limit to what any team can do. Hard for any team to overcome their top 4 WR's being hurt. Take Hill of KC there WR core is mediocre at best. TB probably has the best core but when those guys were battling injuries they struggled as well. A young slot guy with speed is probably what we need most with Beasley's long term future here clouded but DE and CB also need an infusion of talented players as well and Safety needs to be addressed at some point as well. The salary cap going down hurt a team like Buffalo a lot, if it was a normal year we probably make some moves for guys who ended up elsewhere.

I could see another WR this draft but with the salary cap what it is there is a limit to what any team can do. Hard for any team to overcome their top 4 WR's being hurt. Take Hill of KC there WR core is mediocre at best. TB probably has the best core but when those guys were battling injuries they struggled as well. A young slot guy with speed is probably what we need most with Beasley's long term future here clouded but DE and CB also need an infusion of talented players as well and Safety needs to be addressed at some point as well. The salary cap going down hurt a team like Buffalo a lot, if it was a normal year we probably make some moves for guys who ended up elsewhere.
I think Elijah Moore or Rondale Moore would be interesting picks.

Both would play this year and be future solutions for whenever Beasley steps aside.

Sounds like the Jets like Elijah Moore though.

From what I've read, Iffy seems like a good fit and I know they've talked with him a couple of times.

From what I've read, Iffy seems like a good fit and I know they've talked with him a couple of times.

Don't think he's going to be there by the time we pick unfortunately.

Would love it if it happens. I'd be very happy if Rondale Moore was our 2nd round pick. I know Joe Marino is banging the table for Dyami Brown as well.

I think Elijah Moore or Rondale Moore would be interesting picks.

Both would play this year and be future solutions for whenever Beasley steps aside.

Sounds like the Jets like Elijah Moore though.
I had heard the Jets are pretty locked in on Ojulari tonight assuming Jacksonville doesn't take him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom