Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread

Hunter Henry paired with Jonnu Smith for the Pats is the first thing that’s made me a little frustrated at our approach.

We have no tight ends and can’t defend them.

Now the Pats sign the two best TE’s on the market.

Hunter Henry paired with Jonnu Smith for the Pats is the first thing that’s made me a little frustrated at our approach.

We have no tight ends and can’t defend them.

Now the Pats sign the two best TE’s on the market.

Ya that's a very good add by NE although that assumes he is going to stay remotely healthy which he really hasn't been able to do. Still that's a real nice TE combo. I get your frustration but with our cap situation not a lot we can do about it. This is the first time NE has gone FA spending like this in a long time, and clearly based on their failings in the draft there trying to fill a lot of holes especially on offense.

Ya that's a very good add by NE although that assumes he is going to stay remotely healthy which he really hasn't been able to do. Still that's a real nice TE combo. I get your frustration but with our cap situation not a lot we can do about it. This is the first time NE has gone FA spending like this in a long time, and clearly based on their failings in the draft there trying to fill a lot of holes especially on offense.
I love Beane, but I hate what he’s done/doing with the DL. I think it’s a major question mark heading into the season, after being a huge liability last year. Not a fan of Butler/Addison not being outright cuts. That would’ve freed up money for a TE, or to make a run at one of the young pass rushers.

Just a different philosophy they have apparently.

It wasn’t a rotation by KC that killed our OL... it was Jones and Clark.

I love Beane, but I hate what he’s done/doing with the DL. I think it’s a major question mark heading into the season, after being a huge liability last year. Not a fan of Butler/Addison not being outright cuts. That would’ve freed up money for a TE, or to make a run at one of the young pass rushers.

Well I think the problem was/is if you cut Butler and Addison to free up money for a Henry now your looking at having to replace 2 D-line pieces with likely little money with Star's status unknown and Hughes in the twilight of his career. The pandemic and reduced cap really hurt what Buffalo wanted to do, if this is a regular cap year we probably get one of those TE's or an upper level DE. Now were limited by the cap and spent what wiggle room we had to re-sign our own guys like Milano and Feliciano and others. Were gonna have to add through the draft and then hit FA again next year when we should have a good amount of cap space assuming Allen's new deal isn't to crazy.

Well I think the problem was/is if you cut Butler and Addison to free up money for a Henry now your looking at having to replace 2 D-line pieces with likely little money with Star's status unknown and Hughes in the twilight of his career. The pandemic and reduced cap really hurt what Buffalo wanted to do, if this is a regular cap year we probably get one of those TE's or an upper level DE. Now were limited by the cap and spent what wiggle room we had to re-sign our own guys like Milano and Feliciano and others. Were gonna have to add through the draft and then hit FA again next year when we should have a good amount of cap space assuming Allen's new deal isn't to crazy.
Yea, I hear ya... and Star definitely screwed us over from a football perspective with his opt-out and retirement pondering (which would crush us in dead cap)... but still, these issues we talk about are due to how obsessed McBeane are with a DL rotation, as opposed to two studs and some JAG’s/Rookies.

We had, and still have, far too much investment tied into a DL that is a weakness.

If New England wants to spend $25m a year on TEs after trading up twice for 2 3rd rd TEs in the draft last year then by all means let them. The bill is going to come due on that and buying in FA usually doesn't provide any kind of surplus value.

Were never going to go after any of the prime guys at full sticker price and that seems like a very good idea. Just sitting back and waiting for prices to come down to where you can get good value.

Yea, I hear ya... and Star definitely screwed us over from a football perspective with his opt-out and retirement pondering (which would crush us in dead cap)... but still, these issues we talk about are due to how obsessed McBeane are with a DL rotation, as opposed to two studs and some JAG’s/Rookies.

We had, and still have, far too much investment tied into a DL that is a weakness.

I agree on the DL, I thought we would move on from multiple guys not just Jefferson, however, I think multiple guys taking cuts/restructures helped keep them on the team. Our main issue is that right now we have DT's that are under-performing specifically Phillips and Oliver. We really need Epenesa to take that next step this year and I also assume there is likely to be major turnover next year on the D-line with Hughes, Butler, Addison and Phillips probably all gone via the end of their deals or FA. We've spent a lot of money and picks on the DL with honestly not a lot to show for it. Epenesa is again key, if he's a middling guy were gonna be in disastrous trouble. Oliver would probably benefit if Starr came back, I hope he doesn't retire at this point. Oliver and Phillips are probably the most disappointing right now, Phillips lost his starting job and Ed just hasn't made that much of an impact.

I agree on the DL, I thought we would move on from multiple guys not just Jefferson, however, I think multiple guys taking cuts/restructures helped keep them on the team. Our main issue is that right now we have DT's that are under-performing specifically Phillips and Oliver. We really need Epenesa to take that next step this year and I also assume there is likely to be major turnover next year on the D-line with Hughes, Butler, Addison and Phillips probably all gone via the end of their deals or FA. We've spent a lot of money and picks on the DL with honestly not a lot to show for it. Epenesa is again key, if he's a middling guy were gonna be in disastrous trouble. Oliver would probably benefit if Starr came back, I hope he doesn't retire at this point. Oliver and Phillips are probably the most disappointing right now, Phillips lost his starting job and Ed just hasn't made that much of an impact.
The thing with the DL is that it looks sketchy right now but if they add just 1 quality piece at DT or DE it all of a sudden looks pretty decent. I'd expect they will be adding that piece either in the veteran market or with an early pick and then things will look ok. But for absolutely sure the future depends on Oliver and Epenesa to step up and solidify 2 of the 6 main rotation spots going forward as the other 4 are certainly going to be open next spring.

The thing with the DL is that it looks sketchy right now but if they add just 1 quality piece at DT or DE it all of a sudden looks pretty decent. I'd expect they will be adding that piece either in the veteran market or with an early pick and then things will look ok. But for absolutely sure the future depends on Oliver and Epenesa to step up and solidify 2 of the 6 main rotation spots going forward as the other 4 are certainly going to be open next spring.
I just don’t see us getting that EDGE piece in the draft. Probably another guy like Epenesa that has talent but will take some time to develop.

We could absolutely address space eating DT to free up Oliver if Star retires or is out of shape.

I would have rather cut Butler and Addison to free up money for someone like Ngakoue.

I thought the consensus was that Phillips came on in the 2nd half of the season.

I just don’t see us getting that EDGE piece in the draft. Probably another guy like Epenesa that has talent but will take some time to develop.

We could absolutely address space eating DT to free up Oliver if Star retires or is out of shape.
Certainly do not expect to see a 2021 game changer added. I'd expect to pluck a guy out of a grouping of guys like Kawaan Short, Aldon Smith, Carlos Dunlap. Older vets that may be washed up but may be able to give a quality season on a 1 year deal with limited or no guarantees in year 2.

Providing a bit of insight into where Beane’s head is at: We were in on Kendrick Bourne and Gronk considered a similar offer from the Bills before re-signing with TB.

Butler has to stay in case Star decides to retire. I'm fine with not paying for Henry or Jonnu, I'd rather sign a vet like Rudolph, someone who can push Knox to get better or at least be a decent upgrade over him last year.

DE is def the biggest concern. I think AJ will step up but I'd like to see a solid piece added there and use Jerry/Addison as solid depth.

Got ourselves a new punter - Matt Haack formerly of the Dolphins. A bit surprised we didn't get Bojo back after he finally put it together this year but probably a $$ issue.

Tons of smoke around Ertz to Buffalo right now.

Love the Sanders signing.. dude will be filthy in 4-wide sets and gives us an unreal group of WR’s around a developing Gabe Davis.

1/$6m for Sanders. About 1.5 more than I was hoping. Guess he's making 75% of what Brown was scheduled to make and is a better player. Not that it was some kind of either or situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom