Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread

I guess I need to 86 what I said about Feliciano and pretend like I love this...

I don’t hate it, but I’m not sure where we go to address the running game with only Ford being a change on the OL (if we keep the same running backs)... which Beane’s comments a while back seemed to point to, but then again, he’s legit a wizard, so...

I'm hoping they draft an OG/OC, CB, WR, and a RB.

Restructure a few more contracts and try to sign a TE and maybe a DE
I’d be shocked if we could get a TE and a DE.

I could see us do some finagling and get a TE like Henry or James, then go with Ossai, Rousseau etc at 30 if they are there.

I’d be shocked if we could get a TE and a DE.

I could see us do some finagling and get a TE like Henry or James, then go with Ossai, Rousseau etc at 30 if they are there.

Yeah prolly will only have room to get one, and I keep going back and forth between whether I'd want a TE or a DE in Free Agency

Yeah prolly will only have room to get one, and I keep going back and forth between whether I'd want a TE or a DE in Free Agency
If the breakdown I saw post-the other moves, pre-Feliciano is true... we just used up all our money (minus rookies) on the the Feliciano deal.

They can restructure some bigger deals, and of course Beane could always do something completely unexpected, but as of right now, we seem to be straight up against the cap.

I guess I need to 86 what I said about Feliciano and pretend like I love this...

I don’t hate it, but I’m not sure where we go to address the running game with only Ford being a change on the OL (if we keep the same running backs)... which Beane’s comments a while back seemed to point to, but then again, he’s legit a wizard, so...
Feliciano is probably our best interior lineman plus he’s our back up center to Morse who, because of his head injuries, could pull the plug on his career at the drop of a hat.

As far as RB’s go... I think Moss was really finding his groove before getting hurt. I’m not sure what to think of Singletary. Is it a vision issue or is he just too slow? The drop off from year 1 to year 2 was surprising to me.

I think Beane will find a way to get a 3rd running back to the roster, on the cheap, that has a chance to supplant one of them.

I can’t really argue with any of the off-season decisions so far. Gotta find a way to get a more explosive edge rusher on the roster though.

Feliciano is probably our best interior lineman plus he’s our back up center to Morse who, because of his head injuries, could pull the plug on his career at the drop of a hat.

As far as RB’s go... I think Moss was really finding his groove before getting hurt. I’m not sure what to think of Singletary. Is it a vision issue or is he just too slow? The drop off from year 1 to year 2 was surprising to me.

I think Beane will find a way to get a 3rd running back to the roster, on the cheap, that has a chance to supplant one of them.

I can’t really argue with any of the off-season decisions so far. Gotta find a way to get a more explosive edge rusher on the roster though.
I like Moss. I’m completely over Singletary for the moment.. not just his running ability, but his horrible timing to be a terrible pass catcher.

I think Morse is our best interior talent, and Ford is simply unproven... but I don’t hate the Feliciano re-signing.. that said, whether it’s coaching, scheme or RB talent, something needs to change for this team to run the ball better.

I’ll continue my being proven wrong by Beane and say NO WAY WE SIGN A PASS RUSHER IN FREE AGENCY... let’s hope this works... but my guess is a guy like Ossai at 30, along with the development of Epenesa is what we pin our hopes on.

I like Moss. I’m completely over Singletary for the moment.. not just his running ability, but his horrible timing to be a terrible pass catcher.

I think Morse is our best interior talent, and Ford is simply unproven... but I don’t hate the Feliciano re-signing.. that said, whether it’s coaching, scheme or RB talent, something needs to change for this team to run the ball better.

I’ll continue my being proven wrong by Beane and say NO WAY WE SIGN A PASS RUSHER IN FREE AGENCY... let’s hope this works... but my guess is a guy like Ossai at 30, along with the development of Epenesa is what we pin our hopes on.

Don't hate the re-signings as all are favorable deals but with the lowered cap hard-to-see how were active at all I FA unless there is another cut or major restructure coming. 1st and 2nd edition picks scream BPA at RB DE or CB.

Don't hate the re-signings as all are favorable deals but with the lowered cap hard-to-see how were active at all I FA unless there is another cut or major restructure coming. 1st and 2nd edition picks scream BPA at RB DE or CB.
I'm just counting on some of these vets who have got cut or guys that find the market to be lukewarm wanting to do 1 year deals on contenders before heading back into a better FA market next Spring. That's my hope anyway.

I'm just counting on some of these vets who have got cut or guys that find the market to be lukewarm wanting to do 1 year deals on contenders before heading back into a better FA market next Spring. That's my hope anyway.

Agreed but we're gonna have to free up some $$ because as LIC noted after these extensions were up against it big time

Yeah I'm kind of having the same thoughts on bringing the same OL and RBs back and hoping the run game isn't the same mess it was last year. Guess they're counting on Ford being a big piece and the RBs getting better with experience.

Spotrac showing $10.1m in space as of now without Feliciano in there. That also includes Lee Smith still on the roster at $2.25m with 0 dead cap. Matakevich at $3.7m with $350k dead cap. Klein at $6.4m cap hit. I do not expect any of those numbers to be on the cap sheet in the next few days. Smith likely gone and Matakevich will either take a fairly big paycut or be gone and Klein will be restructured. Between those moves and what I imagine will be a 1st year cap hit of somewhere around $4m for Feliciano, would imagine we're looking at $12-14m in space to work with.

Last edited:
Looking at where this offense stands right now as FA starts, I see:

Top 10 OL
Top 10 WR trio (Diggs, Davis, Beasley)
Top 5 QB

Bottom 10 TE room
Bottom 10 RB room

Lack of depth behind our starting 3 WRs

On Defense:

Middle of the pack DL
Middle of the pack LB’ers (with a lot of potential)
Top 10 Secondary

CB2 is a big question mark

Top 10 OL
Top 5 QB

Bottom 10 TE room
Bottom 10 RB room

On Defense:

Middle of the pack DL
Top 10 Secondary

Think I'm pretty close with you on everything but would knock down the OL to middle of the pack. I think the only one of the 5 that we can count on to be an above-average starter is Dawkins. Williams looks like he may be as well but the other 3 are not.

DL would be the only other one that could maybe get knocked down. With Oliver not showing any progress last year, there may not be a single guy outside of Epenesa that will be around in 2023.

Think I'm pretty close with you on everything but would knock down the OL to middle of the pack. I think the only one of the 5 that we can count on to be an above-average starter is Dawkins. Williams looks like he may be as well but the other 3 are not.

DL would be the only other one that could maybe get knocked down. With Oliver not showing any progress last year, there may not be a single guy outside of Epenesa that will be around in 2023.
I wouldn’t argue too much with you on the OL... they are a top notch pass pro group, but until they prove they can run block - that knocks them down a peg.

On the DL, it definitely hinges a lot on Oliver and Epenesa. Hughes and Addison are solid, and might be better if the line plays better as a whole, but that’s about it... Who knows what Star will be upon return and Johnson, Butler, Harry are all JAG’s.

I wouldn’t argue too much with you on the OL... they are a top notch pass pro group, but until they prove they can run block - that knocks them down a peg.

On the DL, it definitely hinges a lot on Oliver and Epenesa. Hughes and Addison are solid, and might be better if the line plays better as a whole, but that’s about it... Who knows what Star will be upon return and Johnson, Butler, Harry are all JAG’s.
Saw this today in Joe B's FA prediction article and very much hated it. Not because we would really miss Star a lot, though he absolutely helps the defense but because we would lose him AND also the opportunity to add a mid-tier guy in FA too.

Don’t be surprised if Star Lotulelei retires​

If there is one thing the Bills don’t want to come true, it’s Star Lotulelei retiring and the team incurring an additional cap hit on an already cap-strapped year. However, there is at least one sign that the Bills could be preparing for his departure. They kept Vernon Butler over Quinton Jefferson, knowing that Butler can more capably fill in at one-technique defensive tackle, even with Harrison Phillips and Justin Zimmer still on the roster. Lotulelei opted out from last year and is already 31 years old. He also has made a lot of money throughout his career and could be content with just walking away, especially with the money the Bills still owe him. With their restructure last offseason just before the pandemic, Lotulelei’s guaranteed 2020 base salary ($4.5 million) tolled to 2021, which means the Bills have to pay that out whether or not he plays. The Bills would incur an additional cap charge of $4.7 million in 2021 if Lotulelei were to retire, which could inhibit some of their offseason moves or lead to another player release. — Joe Buscaglia

Jonuu Smith pipe dream has officially burst.

Jonuu Smith pipe dream has officially burst.

Once we re-signed everybody that went out the window, we simply don't have the $$. We should again next year but were SOL now.

Once we re-signed everybody that went out the window, we simply don't have the $$. We should again next year but were SOL now.
Well not only that we couldn't. More that we shouldn't at that price. YEEEEEEESH

Top 10 OL
Top 5 QB

Bottom 10 TE room
Bottom 10 RB room

On Defense:

Middle of the pack DL
Top 10 Secondary

WR and CB are both interesting areas for this team to address. I know the team likes the late round pick from Pitt but its hard to see us not bringing in somebody or re-signing our friend Levi Wallace.

For WR i would try to get McKenzie back if at all possible, let him be the new return man and a decent 4th WR. Either way we will need to bring in either a veteran in his twilight or draft a WR because right now the depth is non-existent and were an injury or two away from being in major trouble.

WR and CB are both interesting areas for this team to address. I know the team likes the late round pick from Pitt but its hard to see us not bringing in somebody or re-signing our friend Levi Wallace.

For WR i would try to get McKenzie back if at all possible, let him be the new return man and a decent 4th WR. Either way we will need to bring in either a veteran in his twilight or draft a WR because right now the depth is non-existent and were an injury or two away from being in major trouble.
Need a WR who can stretch the field.

Need a WR who can stretch the field.
Believe Gabe and Diggs are going to be doing that in tandem with Cole and Knox underneath unless they use an early pick on a speedster. I don't think anyone they are likely to bring in via FA is likely to be anything more than the 5th option on passing downs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom