Buffalo Bills 2022 Thread | Page 158 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2022 Thread

The thing about squib kicks is you don’t know where it’ll be scooped up and you also don’t need to return it. San Fran tried this a couple weeks ago and Seattle scooped it up at like the 30-40’yard line and were suddenly one play away from field goal range. KC also could have easily scooped it up at let’s say the 25 and just immediately given themselves up and then it’s the exact same situation they ultimately found themselves in.

Squibs are generally the worst way to go IMO. Very little upside and a decent chance it bites you in the ass.
Why are the two options squib or kick into the endzone? The kickers routinely kick the ball as a strategy deep but not quite into the end zone.

McDermott seems to forget how to coach during the big games. I don't get it. It's like...the whole being the "anti-Belichick" thing can carry him through the regular season, but come playoff time, he regresses and becomes just another super safe coach.
That playoff game against Indy, it was pretty obvious our boy tended to tense up in the playoffs.

This really sucks. But the Bengals are just better than the Bills.
I think they are all around better. But I think in better conditions the difference would have been mitigated.

Why are the two options squib or kick into the endzone? The kickers routinely kick the ball as a strategy deep but not quite into the end zone.
My bad I assumed you wanted a squib like everyone else. It’s definitely possible to just kick it short of the end zone though those will generally bounce into the end zone too. Ultimately I don’t think the kick really mattered. The defense just collapsed after the fact but I would gladly kick it through the end zone again if we could turn back time. I would much rather know they’re starting at the 25 with 13 seconds left or whatever rather than giving them likely better field position and the same amount of time (squib) or potentially giving up a TD (shorter kick). I just don’t think the risk of anything outside of a touchback was worth it. But my bad for assuming you wanted a squib kick.

My bad I assumed you wanted a squib like everyone else. It’s definitely possible to just kick it short of the end zone though those will generally bounce into the end zone too. Ultimately I don’t think the kick really mattered. The defense just collapsed after the fact but I would gladly kick it through the end zone again if we could turn back time. I would much rather know they’re starting at the 25 with 13 seconds left or whatever rather than giving them likely better field position and the same amount of time (squib) or potentially giving up a TD (shorter kick). I just don’t think the risk of anything outside of a touchback was worth it. But my bad for assuming you wanted a squib kick.
Either way, I don’t have a clue What they were doing on D those two plays. It’s hard to think of a worse strategy to employ than what they did

Feel worse today than yesterday. I pretty much accepted defeat after it was clear drive 1 we had no answers. Sucks. Not sure I can listen to Bills radio.

7 defensive linemen played yesterday. They combined for 10 tackles, 2 QB hits and 0 sacks. Oliver, Epenesa and Basham played a combined 106 snaps and had 2 tackles. Just a complete roster fail from the front office.
The two positions we’ve invested the most in are DL and RB and our best DL guy is only good if someone can force the QB to run into him. And our RBs are very average (which is fine, please for the love of god stop investing more in RBs).

Beane’s draft record is mostly bad IMO and the philosophy behind his draft decisions is even worse.

I was there at 14-0 lol
It was never our game but man, all I could think about on the opening drive of the 2nd half was "Holy crap I can't believe this game is about to be 17-14; we're getting killed". Settling for the FG there stunk; though it wouldn't have mattered with how the D responded.

The two positions we’ve invested the most in are DL and RB and our best DL guy is only good if someone can force the QB to run into him. And our RBs are very average (which is fine, please for the love of god stop investing more in RBs).

Beane’s draft record is mostly bad IMO and the philosophy behind his draft decisions is even worse.
Maybe we can trade up for a Ronnie Harmon type. Roster seems to be set elsewhere.

Feel like it got lost in the shuffle, but can we talk again about that absolutely horrific 3rd and 3 blitz call by Frazier down near the goal line. An undisguised blitz up the middle with the DB's all playing 8+ yards off the receivers. The easiest first down Joe Burrow will ever pick up in his life. Just a laughable defensive call in that situation. I think I've seen enough of Frazier. He probably should have been canned after the horrific defense he called at the the end of the Chiefs game last year.

Mock draft season starting today. Kind of hard to do without knowing how the Poyer/Edmunds situations resolve. Either or both of those spots along with IOL are of critical need. Luckily none of the 3 are premium positions and can find starters on day 2 if necessary.

Feel like it got lost in the shuffle, but can we talk again about that absolutely horrific 3rd and 3 blitz call by Frazier down near the goal line. An undisguised blitz up the middle with the DB's all playing 8+ yards off the receivers. The easiest first down Joe Burrow will ever pick up in his life. Just a laughable defensive call in that situation. I think I've seen enough of Frazier. He probably should have been canned after the horrific defense he called at the the end of the Chiefs game last year.

Burrow was probably legit laughing at the Bills coaching staff as he approached the line that play.

So embarrassing. I bet we'll hear that the communications got messed up.

But that's really the point...if you were going to blitz, your corners should know to press cover by nature.

Sad

The first half had a lot of plays where guys clearly just weren't on the same page with one another but that one just seemed to be a laughably bad call. Idk if the other DBs were up on their guys and it was just Tre giving the cushion, but I almost have to think the DBs and or Frazier didn't realize it wasn't a goal to go situation. They literally just handed Burrow an easy first down; everyone watching that game had to know what was coming there long before the ball was snapped.

Mock draft season starting today. Kind of hard to do without knowing how the Poyer/Edmunds situations resolve. Either or both of those spots along with IOL are of critical need. Luckily none of the 3 are premium positions and can find starters on day 2 if necessary.
Those and WR are the big needs. Don't really care which of those spots they address. Even if we re-sign Poyer, safety remains a need IMO because Poyer and Hyde are short-term solutions at this point. LB we can obviously hold off if Edmunds comes back (and honestly, I'd probably hold off in the first couple rounds even if he's let go; we just can't invest that many resources in the LB position).

The first half had a lot of plays where guys clearly just weren't on the same page with one another but that one just seemed to be a laughably bad call. Idk if the other DBs were up on their guys and it was just Tre giving the cushion, but I almost have to think the DBs and or Frazier didn't realize it wasn't a goal to go situation. They literally just handed Burrow an easy first down; everyone watching that game had to know what was coming there long before the ball was snapped.

They were all giving huge cushions. As a matter of fact, the Bengals played it wrong too. Would've been an easy quick slant TD to pretty much any receiver.

Burrow was probably legit laughing at the Bills coaching staff as he approached the line that play.

So embarrassing. I bet we'll hear that the communications got messed up.

But that's really the point...if you were going to blitz, your corners should know to press cover by nature.

Sad

Literally their only hope on that play was a d-lineman or blitzing LB getting a hand on the pass, which obviously didn't come close to happening.

There was MORE cushion on the other side.

My favorite coaching blunder, on a fairly slick/snowy playing surface, was running slow-developing, non-vertical counters, both run & pass, when they hadn't even established the play that's being countered, and the RB/WR (Cook and #6) haven't really broken a tackle this year).

Bengals were fast, powerful and vertical, and we don't even have those gash plays in our offense, everything is mesh handoff at a standstill. We're a Dome team.

They really lined up like this and were like “we got em here.”

F953A146-DB02-45A4-ACB7-DF6EF5B75198.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom