Buffalo Bills 2022 Thread | Page 159 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2022 Thread

Not getting ANY points before half was huge. I will stick to that point. Down 17-7 and driving after a nice throw and catch to Gabe. Being around the 40 with plenty of time left, 3 downs, 3 timeouts. Obviously a TD would have been enormous getting it to 17-14 but even 3 really helps out. Instead 3 straight plays with no yards and no timeouts used. Really shocking to me how we did not run a single run there to try to get 5+ to at least give the chance to either go for it or kick. You simply could not NOT even try for either in that spot. That was a huge sequence in the game imo.

In fact the more I think of it the more annoyed I get.

Not getting ANY points before half was huge. I will stick to that point. Down 17-7 and driving after a nice throw and catch to Gabe. Being around the 40 with plenty of time left, 3 downs, 3 timeouts. Obviously a TD would have been enormous getting it to 17-14 but even 3 really helps out. Instead 3 straight plays with no yards and no timeouts used. Really shocking to me how we did not run a single run there to try to get 5+ to at least give the chance to either go for it or kick. You simply could not NOT even try for either in that spot. That was a huge sequence in the game imo.

It happens every time we get on the other side of the 50. Run game gets us there and then we COMPLETELY ABANDON it. Three timeouts and nearly two minutes left. No reason to not work in a run or a screen or anything that's not a pass 20 yards downfield.

Lmao. Even worse than I remember at the bottom. Is that really real?

As I was watching live, I thought "surely the backers are going to fake the blitz and drop into coverage. Try to goad Burrow into a quick slant that they can knock down or pick off." But nope. Just blitzed and gave up an easy first down.

In fact the more I think of it the more annoyed I get.
Our OC just calls plays randomly. Need to get a first on third and short ? No need to aim for the sticks , throw a low percentage bomb down the sideline and hope.

Need 5-10 yards to get into FG range ? Don’t limit yourself! Throw it into the end zone 3 straight times!!

In his pre-game hype video Fitzmagic posed the question - how can you not get pumped playing in the Divisional game at home? Wondering if he knew something.

In his pre-game hype video Fitzmagic posed the question - how can you not get pumped playing in the Divisional game at home? Wondering if he knew something.
I'm sure that was unrelated, basically saying that everyone was pumped up, how can you not be?

The thing about squib kicks is you don’t know where it’ll be scooped up and you also don’t need to return it. San Fran tried this a couple weeks ago and Seattle scooped it up at like the 30-40’yard line and were suddenly one play away from field goal range. KC also could have easily scooped it up at let’s say the 25 and just immediately given themselves up and then it’s the exact same situation they ultimately found themselves in.

Squibs are generally the worst way to go IMO. Very little upside and a decent chance it bites you in the ass.
so what's the proper strategy? A nine iron style of kick that lands is caught around the 10 that the returner still will run and kill some time?

so what's the proper strategy? A nine iron style of kick that lands is caught around the 10 that the returner still will run and kill some time?
Yeah that was probably the call, at least I think so. Fair catch you're at the 10. Run it back to the 35 or so, you probably waste 4-5 seconds but you never know. I do know it could have not gotten any worse!

Games like yesterday are brutal but the Bills were done from the start. Last year was their legit shot and they blew it with the 13 second nonsense

Saffold said the team had no energy all week.
I have no reason to doubt him and believe it to be true. Lack of emotional energy would absolutely contribute to the total no-show yesterday. But I also think its too easy to chalk it up to that- there is a desperate need for offensive talent surrounding Allen & Diggs, not to mention the complete dismantling of both lines. I won't even get into the schematic issues as I beat that one to death during the game.

Bottom line, it feels like the Bills are going in the wrong direction IF your goal is to win the Super Bowl. I know that its a great problem to have, especially off of three straight AFC east titles. But with a generational QB we have to set the sights higher and I believe McDermott, Beane etc will do that. But it starts with an honest assessment of performance- both players and coaches. It was a great year at 13-3, but all of us saw the signs before yesterday that we had problems in virtually every area that fell flat against Cincy. Was emotional energy an issue? Probably. But yesterday wasn't the first time we've seen abysmal red zone play calling or a problem defending the run, as an example.

I'll say it again, going to be a long offseason...

I think kicking it out the back of the end zone like we did is the proper strategy.

Listening to the ringer podcast breakdown of the game yesterday and heard alot of the same of what’s being said here.

-Buffalo has a tendency to do a bit too much of “we do what we do” regardless of what seems to work best against certain opponents .

-show cover zero blitz but then play very soft behind. In essence begging Burrow to dice you up

- this one was scary: the concept that our coach is from the Ron Rivera coaching tree and maybe he’s great at getting the plane off the ground but can’t land it .. a La riverboat Ron

-lack of impact D-line player despite all the capital spent on it

Listening to the ringer podcast breakdown of the game yesterday and heard alot of the same of what’s being said here.

-Buffalo has a tendency to do a bit too much of “we do what we do” regardless of what seems to work best against certain opponents .

-show cover zero blitz but then play very soft behind. In essence begging Burrow to dice you up

- this one was scary: the concept that our coach is from the Ron Rivera coaching tree and maybe he’s great at getting the plane off the ground but can’t land it .. a La riverboat Ron

-lack of impact D-line player despite all the capital spent on it

All good points and I believe accurate.

On McDermott I am torn, have to give him a ton of credit for what he did in turning this franchise around after 20 years of garbage. That said I also can't stick my head in the sand and deny that he's starting to feel like Marty Schottenheimer Part 2. I am also a big Beane fan but his drafting strategy for the D-line has been a disaster beyond Oliver and even he's been a bit hit or miss though I think overall he's been pretty good. He's gotten a lot of credit for some great late picks but not a lot for misses that have started to pile up including the D-line guys, a certain guard from Oklahoma, a couple of LB's, Zack Moss etc.

On McDermott I am torn, have to give him a ton of credit for what he did in turning this franchise around after 20 years of garbage. That said I also can't stick my head in the sand and deny that he's starting to feel like Marty Schottenheimer Part 2. I am also a big Beane fan but his drafting strategy for the D-line has been a disaster beyond Oliver and even he's been a bit hit or miss though I think overall he's been pretty good. He's gotten a lot of credit for some great late picks but not a lot for misses that have started to pile up including the D-line guys, a certain guard from Oklahoma, a couple of LB's, Zack Moss etc.
I think sometimes we forget how much McBean is joined at the hip too. Do we have any idea how much autonomy Beane even has? I don't but somehow I don't see him overruling the guy who brought him here. "Nah Sean I know you like Metcalf but have you seen this guy at Wake set the edge vs Babers' squad".

Interestingly most of Beane’s picks have been praised. So is it the drafting it or the player development and how they are used?

Interestingly most of Beane’s picks have been praised. So is it the drafting it or the player development and how they are used?

A bit of both IMO. Some players (Zay, Teller, etc.) didn't develop cause of the scheme in BUF but have become contributors elsewhere, some players have gotten drafted too high but are still in the league (Moss, Ford, etc.) some players are taking a while to develop (Oliver, Edmunds, Basham)

But RE: the D-line investment it's not all bad. Rousseau will be a good player, Daquon Jones was a great signing, and Von obviously was great until the torn ACL. And having guys like Phillips and Shaq as depth was smart IMO. But it's clear from yesterday Beane needs to invest in the O-line better and get another WR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom