Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Yep, agreed. It will be interesting to see if Buffalo's Super Bowl-winning window has closed for the time being, or if this is simply an anomaly year and next year is back to normal.

I think the current window is closed, to many big money contracts and issues to be worked out in a very difficult AFC. The good news is that Allen is only 27 and clearly still in his prime for probably at least another 5-6 years give or take. The 2025 season should see Buffalo back in the picture, Defense will have been overhauled with Poyer and Hyde gone, Miller gone, and offensively the WR unit will likely be completely overhauled but you'll have Kincaid, Cook, Shakir probably 2 new Wr's maybe Diggs and probably a similar O-line but probably a new Center and maybe a new Left tackle.

Franchise probably wants to take a shot in 24 but with the cap issues I am not sure how that's gonna work barring cutting Tre, trading Knox (gonna have to eat a decent amount), getting Miller to somehow take less etc. I really hope they redo the Wr unit and safety positions this off-season. Hyde is a FA and I can't see him back. Most other positions should be OK with Milano back and hopefully Jones re-signed. I do worry about DE again being an issue with Epenesa and Groot just OK this season. Buffalo really needs to resign Jones on the DL and Rasoul Douglas, both guys are massive pieces for next year.

I think the current window is closed, to many big money contracts and issues to be worked out in a very difficult AFC. The good news is that Allen is only 27 and clearly still in his prime for probably at least another 5-6 years give or take. The 2025 season should see Buffalo back in the picture, Defense will have been overhauled with Poyer and Hyde gone, Miller gone, and offensively the WR unit will likely be completely overhauled but you'll have Kincaid, Cook, Shakir probably 2 new Wr's maybe Diggs and probably a similar O-line but probably a new Center and maybe a new Left tackle.

Franchise probably wants to take a shot in 24 but with the cap issues I am not sure how that's gonna work barring cutting Tre, trading Knox (gonna have to eat a decent amount), getting Miller to somehow take less etc. I really hope they redo the Wr unit and safety positions this off-season. Hyde is a FA and I can't see him back. Most other positions should be OK with Milano back and hopefully Jones re-signed. I do worry about DE again being an issue with Epenesa and Groot just OK this season. Buffalo really needs to resign Jones on the DL and Rasoul Douglas, both guys are massive pieces for next year.

Hopefully they cut Poyer in the offseason as well. $2M dead cap hit but $5.5M in cap savings.

Hopefully they cut Poyer in the offseason as well. $2M dead cap hit but $5.5M in cap savings.

I think in a perfect world they would, problem is with Hyde leaving (almost a lock) it would be tough to try and replace both guys in one off-season. If they like Hyde better they could re-sign him and cut Poyer but that's a lot of moving parts for a team with cap issues. I know WR has a pretty stacked FA class but not sure what safety looks like. Have to think a safety is going to be a position taken within the first three rounds. I assume WR, Safety and some combo of OL/DL is likely to be the top 3 picks in the draft.

Allen hasn't played great but the lack of caveats in that post sticks out. First off the 1st Int was 100% on Gabe Davis. 2nd and fumble 100% Josh. The other issue is that a great qb doesn't lead the lead in interceptions doesn't add up when everyone's hero Mahomes is #2 in ints

Yep, agreed. It will be interesting to see if Buffalo's Super Bowl-winning window has closed for the time being, or if this is simply an anomaly year and next year is back to normal.

The Ravens had a couple down years due to injuries/poor play but they look better this year. Maybe the Bills will be the same

The Ravens had a couple down years due to injuries/poor play but they look better this year. Maybe the Bills will be the same
agreed it does happen. It's just been a bad year and there is more to it than we know as well. Something is just wrong here.

I don’t know if I agree this window is closed… Bills have top 5 talent but continuously shoot themselves in the foot. The real question is whether McD is the one to get the most out of the talent… so far this year the answer is a resounding no. Not sure what the problem is.

Moving forward they need two DBs, two safeties, a wr2, a RT and C.

I don’t know if I agree this window is closed… Bills have top 5 talent but continuously shoot themselves in the foot. The real question is whether McD is the one to get the most out of the talent… so far this year the answer is a resounding no. Not sure what the problem is.

They need more draft picks to hit but the recent drafts look a little better. Bernard, Cook, Kincaid, Torrence all hitting, Oliver and Epenesa having a career years. Even Spencer Brown playing better

They got bad luck with the Von and Tre injuries, but they probably could've prepared for life after Hyde/Poyer better and upgraded WR2 and use Gabe as a depth WR.

Bills have Benford and Douglas under contract next year but need to re-work Douglas as his cap hit is to much. Obviously Elam has been a major disappointment but he's still here as well. Re-sign Dane again and that's a decent 4 man group before adding any FA's or guys via the draft.

Wr and Safety seem like absolute locks for the first three rounds. After that you can make teh case for several positions including OT, DT/DE or even CB as you noted. Will need another RB as only Cook is still under contract but they can use one of those late round picks or a 5th or something.

That was a helluva pass and catch. Wilson put the ball where no one else could get it and Sutton is an all-pro. Pass rush bit the spin move and they were left out of position just enough for Russ to get the pass off.
It was dumb blind luck . Wilson wasn’t even looking. If they tried that 1000 times they complete it once . That was the one.

It feels like Dorsey could be a bit of a scapegoat right now. 7th in yards per game, 8th in points per game. That's the top quartile of the league, for both.
The team loses in weird / quirky ways . Often outplaying their opponents on the way to L’s. That sounds like a man at the top issue . Not a coordinator level issue

The window is open as long as they have Allen. Unless you have Mahomes you need to be good, healthy, and lucky to get to let alone win a Super Bowl.

no he's the guy in charge that took one of the best offenses and QB's in the NFL and now has them somewhere between bad and mediocre at best depending which stats you choose to grab or look at

The guy that couldn't count to 12 was the special teams coach and he should be fired as well. You aren't firing the head coach or Josh Allen so somebody was going down with the ship. That's life in the NFL.

As a person, I really like Dorsey. Smart, bit quirky and different than most coaches but just could never string gameplans together on a consistent basis. He had a few great games but too few and far between
Which stats do you see where they are bad and mediocre besides Josh's turnovers? Anything to do with yards, points, efficiency they don't fall anywhere close to bad or mediocre. 5th in passing yards and 9th per attempt. 10th in rushing yards and 5th per attempt. Top 10 in both rushing and passing scoring. 5th in points per play. 8th in points per game. 5th most trips to the Red Zone along with 3rd best TD% once they get there. They are both good and efficient on offense. The issue is they are being limited in the amount of drives per game they have because Josh won't stop turning it over and the defense now struggles to get off the field resulting in them being 31st in the league in TOP the past 3 weeks with 25mpg. Opponents running the 6th most plays per game last 3 games and averaging a -2 turnover margin during those games. Firing Dorsey isn't going to have any effect on those things unless McD forces Brady into a 50/50 run/pass balance which will neutralize our best players and then make Josh probably play hero ball even worse.

Which stats do you see where they are bad and mediocre besides Josh's turnovers? Anything to do with yards, points, efficiency they don't fall anywhere close to bad or mediocre. 5th in passing yards and 9th per attempt. 10th in rushing yards and 5th per attempt. Top 10 in both rushing and passing scoring. 5th in points per play. 8th in points per game. 5th most trips to the Red Zone along with 3rd best TD% once they get there. They are both good and efficient on offense. The issue is they are being limited in the amount of drives per game they have because Josh won't stop turning it over and the defense now struggles to get off the field resulting in them being 31st in the league in TOP the past 3 weeks with 25mpg. Opponents running the 6th most plays per game last 3 games and averaging a -2 turnover margin during those games. Firing Dorsey isn't going to have any effect on those things unless McD forces Brady into a 50/50 run/pass balance which will neutralize our best players and then make Josh probably play hero ball even worse.
What do the stats look like the past 5 weeks or since the Miami game? The injuries on defense aren't getting any better. The burden falls on the offense and your franchise QB and they just haven't been anywhere near good enough.

Like I said, using stats for 10 games is fine but the season changed in London and if you wanted to make the playoffs the burden fell on the offense and Josh and they have simply not been good enough.

The defense is beyond the walking wounded. Everybody knows the defenses isnt going to be very good at all but the points they have given up hasn't been horrible.

Fair or not fair, with the defense as injured as it is, the offense needed to step up and put up 28+ points consistently to win games. It has not been nearly good enough at scoring points. Scoring < 10 pts at half time in 5 of our last 6 games is not good enough. Buffalo has one of the healthiest offenses in all of football. The offense is by far the problem, and has been for awhile.

Jax: 7 pts
NYG: 0 pts
NE: 3 pts
TB: 17 pts
Cin: 7 pts
Den: 8 pts

The window is open as long as they have Allen. Unless you have Mahomes you need to be good, healthy, and lucky to get to let alone win a Super Bowl.
Mahomes hasn’t been that good this year. KC’s defense is carrying them.

We were 13s away from having a home game in the AFC championship and we blew it. It's looking worse and worse by the year.

I will never forgive McDermott and Frazier for that. Never.
Yeah that was the opportunity for sure. Was already thinking about how great that game was going to be to attend. Brutal

I mean and last year had tix for the game in Atlanta but I never thought we would beat CInci.

IMG_4090.png

You could substitute Dorsey and Allen into the highlighted portion and not know the difference lol. Hopefully Brady has learned from his failures in Carolina. To be fair to him, going from the talent advantage he had at LSU to what he had in Carolina is a pretty drastic change for a young OC but the Carolina offense was pretty much unwatchable during his two seasons there and a lot of the criticisms levied towards Dorsey are the exact same things Brady struggled with there.

View attachment 233309

You could substitute Dorsey and Allen into the highlighted portion and not know the difference lol. Hopefully Brady has learned from his failures in Carolina. To be fair to him, going from the talent advantage he had at LSU to what he had in Carolina is a pretty drastic change for a young OC but the Carolina offense was pretty much unwatchable during his two seasons there and a lot of the criticisms levied towards Dorsey are the exact same things Brady struggled with there.

To be fair to Brady, the 2020 offense he coached in Carolina was quarterbacked by Teddy Bridgewater (who actually had the best year of his career that year - 3,700 yards, 69.1% completion percentage, 15 TDs and 11 INTs). 2021 he had noted bust Sam Darnold followed by the corpse of Cam Newton. Not a lot to work with there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom