Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Embarrassing. Although the offense was pretty solid in the second half. Watching Philly last night I was fantasizing about Sirianni coming home to Western NY (I realize this isn't going to happen)... doesn't hurt that his GM keeps hitting the mark on their line picks. Anyone remember this story? Nick Sirianni brings a taste of his hometown to the Philadelphia Eagles

A lot of blame to go around right now. Allen and McD are saying Allen’s shoulder is fine, but if it is, he simply has to play better. The ball isn’t coming out the way it usually does and it’s impacting his accuracy. I just don’t at all buy that he’s healthy right now.

Additionally, guys just having some really untimely drops and penalties right now. Dorsey could call a better game but I think it’s mostly execution issues right now. Defenses are giving Buffalo plenty of space underneath/giving us numbers in the box to run and the players just make too many mistakes.

Ultimately I think we all know this coaching staff will almost certainly remain through the end of this season. If Kincaid isn’t a more significant part of the offense by then on a consistent basis, Dorsey has to go. Kincaid is so clearly the #2 or 3 receiver right now. They did a good job yesterday of going to him but they have to keep it up.

And re: the defense and the team as a whole, I think we’ve just lost too many guys to be a Super Bowl contender this year. Can still potentially win the division but (1) I don’t expect it and (2) the injuries have put a ceiling on this team to be outside the top 5 or so IMO. Sucks but thems the breaks.

Really good post I think you hit on a lot of stuff.

I think it's clear while McDermott is highly unlikely to be let go even if this season continues to go badly I think major changes are coming.

The WR unit needs a complete overhaul outside of Diggs. Davis has not been the #2 the team needs and despite some good numbers on paper he's been a non factor in mulitple games including 1 catch for 6 yards yesterday. The slot position has been a blackhole since Beasley was cut and needs a major infusion of talent. Knox is clearly not worth the contract at this point and seems destined to be cut in the offseason unless he takes a major pay cut. I suspect Buffalo will have nearly a completely re-tooled Wr room next year with Harty, Davis, Sherrfield all gone after this year and Knox probably as well. For this year I think Dorsey has to either start calling a better game (Shandeezy's post about the ISO runs is beyond troubling) and we have to add some help at Wr somehow.

I agree with you about the defense, with so many guys out for the year I don't think you can expect this team to play like it was at times to start the year. I think Buffalo has to look at resigning Jones and really consider getting a big run stuffing DT they can pair with Jones and ED next year. I also think they need to game plan how they are going to handle the safety spot next year. Seems unlikely you can go with Hyde and Poyer again. Need to move off one for $$ purposes and get a young draft pick or FA guy in here. Bills really could use another LB as well to actually play a 4-3 at times. I know we love that big Nickel but Taron get's exposed having to play the run game so much.

That is admittedly gross.

On a somewhat related note since Geary was quote-tweeting Jeremy White, I have to say I'm kinda cracking up at guys like Jeremy White where he's citing that chart showing that the Bills pass it on first down 4% less than the top 5 teams in the league as if he's found some huge breakthrough to explain the offense's struggles. If the Bills threw it on 1st down one more time every two or three games, they'd be top 5 in that rate; it's not much of a material difference.

I get that he's frustrated, but he seems to just be posting every graphic or stat he finds and most of them don't even suggest anything damning. But this is why he's in radio; he knows how to get listeners riled up even if the points don't make all that much sense.

That is admittedly gross.

On a somewhat related note since Geary was quote-tweeting Jeremy White, I have to say I'm kinda cracking up at guys like Jeremy White where he's citing that chart showing that the Bills pass it on first down 4% less than the top 5 teams in the league as if he's found some huge breakthrough to explain the offense's struggles. If the Bills threw it on 1st down one more time every two or three games, they'd be top 5 in that rate; it's not much of a material difference.

I get that he's frustrated, but he seems to just be posting every graphic or stat he finds and most of them don't even suggest anything damning. But this is why he's in radio; he knows how to get listeners riled up even if the points don't make all that much sense.

Yeah I'm not as concerned about first down pass rate. As you said, I don't think that's where there issues really lie. The stuff Geary posted is far more concerning. That shotgun delayed handoff is somehow still in the playbook, despite almost zero success. It's maddening. Also, the muzzle on Josh Allen pulling it down and running needs to be taken off (assuming that's what the issue is). How many 30+ yard scramble runs on broken plays has he had over the years? Feels like he's had almost none this year, and they can be game changers.

Really good post I think you hit on a lot of stuff.

I think it's clear while McDermott is highly unlikely to be let go even if this season continues to go badly I think major changes are coming.

The WR unit needs a complete overhaul outside of Diggs. Davis has not been the #2 the team needs and despite some good numbers on paper he's been a non factor in mulitple games including 1 catch for 6 yards yesterday. The slot position has been a blackhole since Beasley was cut and needs a major infusion of talent. Knox is clearly not worth the contract at this point and seems destined to be cut in the offseason unless he takes a major pay cut. I suspect Buffalo will have nearly a completely re-tooled Wr room next year with Harty, Davis, Sherrfield all gone after this year and Knox probably as well. For this year I think Dorsey has to either start calling a better game (Shandeezy's post about the ISO runs is beyond troubling) and we have to add some help at Wr somehow.

I agree with you about the defense, with so many guys out for the year I don't think you can expect this team to play like it was at times to start the year. I think Buffalo has to look at resigning Jones and really consider getting a big run stuffing DT they can pair with Jones and ED next year. I also think they need to game plan how they are going to handle the safety spot next year. Seems unlikely you can go with Hyde and Poyer again. Need to move off one for $$ purposes and get a young draft pick or FA guy in here. Bills really could use another LB as well to actually play a 4-3 at times. I know we love that big Nickel but Taron get's exposed having to play the run game so much.
I think Kincaid is likely to be the main slot WR moving forwards in the mold of the "big slot", but you probably want a pure slot WR to throw out there at times too. Unless he improves a ton as a blocker, you probably don't want Kincaid to play him in-line very often. But agree overall; even if Davis were proving himself this season (which he's not), he was probably a good season away from pricing himself out of our market anyways. Buffalo has to find some answers at the WR position outside of Diggs. And agree re: Knox as well; I've admittedly been a Knox hater since Day 1, but with his contract, it feels like a fairly safe bet he will not be back next season barring a major turnaround.

It's a pretty sticky situation the Bills have found themselves in. They're at the point in the life cycle now where they're more likely to start losing talent rather than adding it, so ordinarily, you'd want to kinda push your chips in on this season and try to ensure this is your best chance at a Super Bowl. At the same time, there are some obvious holes on the roster that you'd love to address this season to keep things on track. But they've just lost so many important pieces defensively; it's really tough. Even if you can add a big ticket item in-season here, there's a very good chance we've just lost too much talent to injuries this season.

Yeah I'm not as concerned about first down pass rate. As you said, I don't think that's where there issues really lie. The stuff Geary posted is far more concerning. That shotgun delayed handoff is somehow still in the playbook, despite almost zero success. It's maddening. Also, the muzzle on Josh Allen pulling it down and running needs to be taken off (assuming that's what the issue is). How many 30+ yard scramble runs on broken plays has he had over the years? Feels like he's had almost none this year, and they can be game changers.

This, someone over at Buffalorumblings had a great point I saw today. He said the O staff has done a 180 from last year when everything was a downfield shot and Allen ran with abandon to now its zero shots and Allen's afraid to run. We have to take some more deep shots but also you can't neuter Allen with the running stuff, that's a part of his game for better or worse. I know you don't want him to get hurt but he's not Brady or Rodgers, he has to be able to run.

Similar to the Kincaid usage, I'm willing to cut Dorsey some slack and hope that they'll ramp this up as the season goes on; especially considering my suspicions that Allen is less healthy than the team says.

That Geary tweet is laughably bad if true though. Truly pathetic stuff.

That injury last year wrecked that contract. He was playing great and now looks like a shell of himself. Story of the Bills history unfortunately
Yeah I think it was looking like a great signing until then, he was a difference maker until the injury but like you said the bad luck is what it is. That was a move to try and win a Super Bowl and it kind of backfired but been took the shot. That said I think Miller is toast. Maybe next year might get a few good games but he’s not producing much this year unfortunately

Yeah I think it was looking like a great signing until then, he was a difference maker until the injury but like you said the bad luck is what it is. That was a move to try and win a Super Bowl and it kind of backfired but been took the shot

Ya I can't blame Beane for taking a shot, it was working before he got hurt. Best hope now is that you get a really good comeback type of season next year in what will be his final season here as Buffalo will surely bail out after next year.

This, someone over at Buffalorumblings had a great point I saw today. He said the O staff has done a 180 from last year when everything was a downfield shot and Allen ran with abandon to now its zero shots and Allen's afraid to run. We have to take some more deep shots but also you can't neuter Allen with the running stuff, that's a part of his game for better or worse. I know you don't want him to get hurt but he's not Brady or Rodgers, he has to be able to run.

It seems to me like he can easily run the ball without taking hits often. Run out of bounds or slide. The majority of big hits he's taken when running the ball are his own fault. Lowering a shoulder for an extra yard and a half instead of sliding or stepping out of bounds. There's seemingly an easily achievable middle ground here.

Last edited:
He gets injured passing not running.

Doesn’t appear to have been a penalty.
is that ignoring the fact he went down and came back towards the line.. The other guy was maybe a TE and maybe that led to some confusion?

Dawson Knox to have wrist surgery. I can say no more.

The stupidity of not designing run plays for him to “keep him healthy” is best illustrated when you realize this results in more Allen runs on busted plays which are not designed and are riskier to the QB than properly blocked plays where he knows he’s running from the start

One thing this will do is get Buffalo the hell out of 12 personnel and get 3 Wr's on the field with Kincaid.
Not it won’t. They’ll end up doing what they did when Kincaid was out… bring in an extra OT as a fake 2nd TE. We’re talking about Dorsey here

They took a deep shot yesterday with Diggs who was wide open and Allen missed him by 10 yards.

One thing this will do is get Buffalo the hell out of 12 personnel and get 3 Wr's on the field with Kincaid.
Now that he can practice after being on IR, I wonder if Shorter is showing anything in practice. Big physical receiver.

Now that he can practice after being on IR, I wonder if Shorter is showing anything in practice. Big physical receiver.

At this point I hope they active him and Isabella, try anything at this point.

I don't understand the uproar over the 12 personnel usage

They're 12th in EPA/play in 12 personnel, which is pretty solid considering they're playing a rookie TE in his first 5/6 games. They're doing exactly what the Chiefs did last year after trading away Tyreek freaking Hill

Did they lean on 12 personnel a little too much so far this year? Probably

Should they start using Josh as a runner out of shotgun again? Sure

Could they use more out of the WR2 role? Absolutely

But I think the offensive struggles aren't as easily explained as one main factor, it's all multifaceted between playcalling, decision making, and execution.

dont miss a fg and Diggs doesnt drop the last one and they still have a pretty good shot at winning the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom