Burn it all down. This is rock bottom | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Burn it all down. This is rock bottom

Here’s my main issue with where things are right now. There is no brand of basketball right now. All these other teams you watch there is a style and a brand that they are known for. Can’t say SU is known for the 2-3 anymore because now its a joke bc coaches know how to coach a lot better. To think that JB is literally going to be better than anybody else as a coach right now is insane. It’s over for him. For those who are afraid of someone else, literally losing is losing and right now how they are losing is different than I have ever seen before.

All these others coaches have created an identity for their teams and players. Tonight was the epitome of rock bottom where the coach simply CANNOT put his players in a position to win. From there, you have to look yourself in the mirror and realize you’re not that good of a coach anymore. The run has been amazing, what you have done is amazing, but you are suppose to leave a program better than what you arrived and please do that now before you completely sink it JB

This team is worse than last year’s. What do they run offensively? Dribble drive, motion, swing? Nothing but iso and these guys aren’t good enough for that. Good disciplined teams with lesser talent run good offense to score and win games. Boeheim too stubborn to try.
The teams have gotten progressively worse each year. Thank back to the NIT team with Andrew White and those guys.

I don't post very often but tonight's game has me deep in thought about the state of SU hoops. I had so much hope for this group of incoming freshman. I still think we have some talented players. But there are some very serious issues that I see.

Joe Girard has lost his mojo. He looks out of shape, flat, and demoralized. I'm not sure he gets it back. I think perhaps, Copeland needs to play more, just to get experience for next year since we're not winning anything this season.

Judah's talent is undeniable, but until he can hit an outside shot, he's going to be guarded really tightly, so his handle and vision need to improve.

We are horrendous rebounding team outside of Jesse.

We have been outplayed and out coached in the second half of our games this year. JB is not making second half adjustments, and has not effectively set up out of bounds plays in two critical game situations.

JB acts and speaks like he doesn't even enjoy coaching anymore. I see no fire, no passion, and no love of the game anymore. He comes across as a coach who's held on too long out of spite with the NCAA. Sadly the NCAA could care less, and he's the one who's tarnishing his own legend.

I wish I could write something positive tonight... but I think this decline has gone on long enough. Colgate is better than us. St. John's is better. I think we'd probably lose to several other NY schools if we played them too (Seton Hall, the Bonnies, and perhaps even Iona). We aren't NY's college team anymore. It really is time to move on. Even the optimists know that it isn't going to get better with the oldest D1 coach. We need new blood... and I hope it's not Red or Gmac. We need a complete overhaul with current offensive and defensive schemes that work in today's game, and a coach that will pound the pavement, use technology, and travel. It's time.

Every year he hangs on he hurts his own legacy, but also the chances of the program ever being competitive at the same level again once he leaves.

Maybe that's the point

Oats would be the kind of fast-rising, high profile, difference-making coach that would instantly turn around our recruiting and the buzz around the program. The problem is we’d have to pay him a boatload of money to leave Bama. I think the program has the money to make it work (because of Dome ticket and basketball program revenue) but the issue is, will the administration actually pony up?
Oats would hands down be the best hire but personally I think there’s no chance. If it came down to money, Bama could ultimately match any amount of cash we could potentially throw at Oats. And why wouldn’t they? They’re a football school but why not take a small ratio of that money (literally pennys to them) and keep their basketball nationally relevant too. Oats also seems like the type of guy that would use his success at Bama to land a Kentucky type job, not a Syracuse type job.

This would be a tournament team under a different coach.
Not sure if I would go that far, we have a talent deficiency

We looked like boys against men out there, hard to overcome that w coaching

Oats would hands down be the best hire but personally I think there’s no chance. If it came down to money, Bama could ultimately match any amount of cash we could potentially throw at Oats. And why wouldn’t they? They’re a football school but why not take a small ratio of that money (literally pennys to them) and keep their basketball nationally relevant too. Oats also seems like the type of guy that would use his success at Bama to land a Kentucky type job, not a Syracuse type job.
Yeah we missed the Oats boat years ago. His buyout is still high, like $10-12 million. The only thing we have over Bama is status on wins list and a larger venue, doubt that is enough.

That ship has sailed.

Yeah we missed the Oats boat years ago. His buyout is still high, like $10-12 million. The only thing we have over Bama is status on wins list and a larger venue, doubt that is enough.

maxresdefault.jpg

The saddest part is that we’re not the laughing stock. No one outside of us idiots cares. The rest of the country doesn’t expect Syracuse to compete for championships anymore. Being on the bubble is our rep, and we can’t even do that now.

It's mainly just fun for UConn and Rutgers fans at this point.

Again. The desire for “new blood” by posters calling for 70 year old Coach of 2-2 Iona Rick Pitino will never make sense to me. Ever. You’ve got to be kidding me.
Agreed. No desire at all for Pitino to replace JB. Hopefully if JB departs at season end so the AD can go out and find the best candidate. If it's mid season we ride with one of the staff and go from there. I for one appreciate everything JB did to put Syracuse on the map but if he cares at all about what he built he needs to finally step away. Here's to hoping things go the right way for all parties really soon.

True on Rutgers, but I’m guessing UConn fans, with their multiple championships, think this is not surprising at all. Expected and boring actually.

You would think except they reference our struggles in multiple threads over there still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom