Bye Bye Robbie | Syracusefan.com

Bye Bye Robbie

Marsh01

Living Legend
Wish you well but you are going to the worst hitters ballpark in the MLB

Dontcha know ... he'll be 41 years old in 2023.

Nuts. :crazy:

Jack Curry‏@JackCurryYES9m
Yankees were willing to commit almost $25M a year for Cano, but they weren't going near a 10-year contract.

Objectively as a Red Sox fan I can't believe they let Cano go. That contract is ridiculously stupid and Cashman rightfully didn't give Cano 10 yr 240, but giving Ellsbury 7 yr 152 was basically daring him to go. I respect Cashman for not caving to Jay-Z, but they are weaker with Ellsbury over Cano. Ellsbury is a top 20 hitter in MLB and Cano is a top 5 hitter.

Seattle was all like "Robinson Ca-no? More like Robinson Ca-yes!"

Objectively as a Red Sox fan I can't believe they let Cano go. That contract is ridiculously stupid and Cashman rightfully didn't give Cano 10 yr 240, but giving Ellsbury 7 yr 152 was basically daring him to go. I respect Cashman for not caving to Jay-Z, but they are weaker with Ellsbury over Cano. Ellsbury is a top 20 hitter in MLB and Cano is a top 5 hitter.

Yea but now they can go after a pitcher or even a guy like Beltran. I have no problem with not committing to 10 years. Its Arod all over again with that contract.

With Cano gone this free's up a LOT of money for the Yanks to spend. Look for them to sign Beltran now (Or Choo as a back-up to that). Trade for Brandon Phillips (Reds owner wants him gone). Tanaka. Stephen Drew to play SS, then move Jeter to 3B.

Lots of options and lots of moves coming for the Yanks

Let's be honest, Seattle will keep Cano for 3 years or so, then trade him to the Dodgers or Yanks and pay a large chunk of his salary to get some financial relief and get out from most of it. This is Texas-AROD all over again.

And then this happened...

Joel Sherman‏@Joelsherman13m
#Mets have a 4-yr agreement with Curtis Granderson, the Post has learned.

Yanks didn't want Granderson at any multi-year deal. Too many strikeouts and too low an On Base %. They NEVER offered him a multi-year deal

Happy for Granderson, he'll look good in a Mets uniform. Good dude, good player. MLB could use more like him. I understand why the Yankees felt it was time to part ways though.

Cano has 3-4 prime years left then you are watching 6+ years of decline at $24 million per year. Although it's not an exact correlation of positions, Ellsbury + McCann >>>>> than Cano + scrub at catcher that they trotted out there last year. Plus it leaves the Yankees with a lot of flexibility to make some other moves. And it mirrors what the Red Sox have done with some of their home growns over the years.

I mean I think its obvious the Yankees will use the Cano money on signing Kuroda, going after Matt Garza since he has no draft pick compensation attached, and signing Omar Infiate. Please take Stephen Drew. He is a plus plus defender, but he goes thru weeks of pure crap and then a couple weaks of being hot. I want him to go elsewhere so the SS job is given to Xander.

Let's be honest, Seattle will keep Cano for 3 years or so, then trade him to the Dodgers or Yanks and pay a large chunk of his salary to get some financial relief and get out from most of it. This is Texas-AROD all over again.
I think your right, I could see Cano going to the Dodgers in an August dump when the Dodgers were scrambling for a playoff position in the future. I don't blame the Yankees one bit I just never thought he was going to ever leave.

As others have said, comparing Ellsbury to Cano is the wrong exercise. Obviously Cano is a better hitter.

Comparing the Yankee team in 2014 to the Yankee team in 2013 is the better exercise. If they get someone like Infante, and Choo, then top to bottom it's a much better Yankee lineup. They also free up money to sign someone like Garza, who's a solid 2/3 starter. Still need bullpen help though, and possibly a 3B.

I wouldn't pencil them in for the World Series in 2014, but giving 10 years to Cano would not have been the smartest move. And they knew it.

Wish you well but you are going to the worst hitters ballpark in the MLB
How will we go on? Dump A-Hole's salary and we is back in the game I have no problem with the Yankees spending their $ to create strong teams It appears that Kuroda will re-sign with the Yankees for another year. Whether he holds up is another matter. The Yanks will have a little time to groom a youg pitcher in the farm to get him ready.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is how the new acquisitions change the Yankees offensively. Adding a plus bat at catcher and exceptional speed on the bases isn't a bad thing can make them better, even losing Cano.

One upsisde of the Cano deal for everyone else in baseball - one of the elite talents in the game is marooned in a place that won't win.

Yankees lose 1st 2nd round draft picks on McCann, Ellsbury. Get 2 sandwich picks in compensation for Cano/Granderson signing elsewhere

Glad that Hal didnt go around Cashman and make a 10 year deal with Cano, as has been done in the past with other contracts. Yankees stuck to their guns and knew the 10 year deals can never happen again.

With Cano gone this free's up a LOT of money for the Yanks to spend. Look for them to sign Beltran now (Or Choo as a back-up to that). Trade for Brandon Phillips (Reds owner wants him gone). Tanaka. Stephen Drew to play SS, then move Jeter to 3B.

Lots of options and lots of moves coming for the Yanks
It saves the yanks 25 milliuon. That isn't Beltran or Choo, and Phillips and Drew and Tanaka. It's a player and a half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom