Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Okay, and this isn't any more of an update but right now the word is that Eddie is sticking with us. He told a teammate and the coaches have told people that. I just want him up for summer session 1 to get him the heck away from Texas.
Same. Being told he’s good to go, but I’m going to be sweating biscuits and gravy until he gets on campus.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree. The reason this isn’t going to happen is because right now or previously, athletes were treated different than a normal student. If colleges start forcing students to enroll in their college if they sign a letter of acceptance or they won’t be allowed to change their mind and attend another school. Than they’ll be able to enforce that with athletes. But as long as every other college student can change their mind on what college they attend until classes start. College athletes will be allowed to as well.
why do they even have NLIs and signing days etc all that jazz then?

why even sign and commit lol?

I mean it's the same concept with NLIs and HS kids. HS kids can ask out of a NLI and then go to a different school. Most schools will let kids out due to negative publicity if they don't.
how many times doesthat actually happen without some emergency etc?

arent there still deadlines and parameters there beyond merely "first day of class"?

Fair points - I am not trying to be the guy that trashes a kid because they (potentially) aren't playing for my favorite team, and perhaps I do remember Onuaku through rose colored glasses - what Orange fan doesn't.

Haven't seen enough tape on Lampkin to speak more definitively but I did watch a few games. It's not crazy to wonder if De Silva and Simpson simply improved and those guys made it easier for him than vice versa - I am no hoops savant but there's a reason Eddie isn't off to the NBA this year and those guys are. He is cashing in, it's honestly what Judah should have done.

I hope I am wrong though and Lampkin leads us to an ACC title and back to the Tourney. (if he makes it to campus)
judah can still do it

the "busts" from the NBA process are going back to school

AKA get your popcorn ready

Just blows my mind - $750k for one year for a guy that isn't even an NBA prospect.
Have you looked in the portal what’s available today? The Center position is a black hole of nothingness right now.

Even worse is that since all those Covid kids stayed in college most the younger 5’s got limited time. Edey Dickinson Bancot Flip Clingen Hall Burns. The list goes on and on.

There are very few centers that have any relevant playing experience. Patterson is listed as a top 15 center that’s left in the portal. The kid hasn’t even seen the court in college.

Yes its insane but there is nothing out there.

Have you looked in the portal what’s available today? The Center position is a black hole of nothingness right now.

Even worse is that since all those Covid kids stayed in college most the younger 5’s got limited time. Edey Dickinson Bancot Flip Clingen Hall Burns. The list goes on and on.

There are very few centers that have any relevant playing experience. Patterson is listed as a top 15 center that’s left in the portal. The kid hasn’t even seen the court in college.

Yeah I mean seller’s market for sure, it’s just crazy how desperation has driven value up. Wish I was 6’11 lol

There's been a good discussion on Orange Nation about the Lampkin situation and the issues it brings up. Paulie speculated on what rules could be applied to bring the NIL and portal situation. One caller, ("Scooter"), pointed out that pro leagues have anti-trust status and the NCAA doesn't so the NCAA's ability to make rules and make them stick in court is limited.

I said that that leaves us at the mercy of the much-lauded "invisible hand of the market" which is supposed to produce the proper result each time. You have to be able to seek your own level to make that work. I again suggested that, if we can't compete at the highest level in the market for players, we need to find a level we can compete at. Paulie and Steve understood my point but they still feel SU has to be at the highest level of college college football, whatever that is, even if it's a new level that never existed before.

So we'd better have plenty of cash.
Only baseball has an exemption for anti-trust. The other sports don’t.

This will be the last year of the Covid extra year. Red even mentioned he thinks recruiting will become a little more important moving forward. The key will be keeping them. I’m hoping that Lampkin will be one of the better post players in our league. He has experience. I look forward to seeing Lampkin battle the bigs in the ACC.

how many times doesthat actually happen without some emergency etc?

arent there still deadlines and parameters there beyond merely "first day of class"?
There was a decent amount last month or so (Liam McNeeley (Indiana to Kansas) and all the Kentucky freshman come top of mind) but its more so due to not liking coaching style/role and coaching changes. Much less tampering for HS kids to flip than portal guys.

HS kids have to go enroll in summer sessions to be locked in. I think Eddie Lampkin is a grad transfer so he might be able to leave before first day of class even if he enrolled (ex: Will McNair with Prov decommit after going on international trip then going to Kansas St and being instantly eligible)

its really simple

the NCAA controls the portal

they may not control the dollar figures but they do have a say in player movement

once a portal player signs with a team they are removed from the portal - very easy solution to all of this that doesnt include contracts (though might as well go that route if possible)

its ridiculous that a player can sign with a team but still be in the portal imo

in other words - portal players get 1 portal exit and 1 signature to use, per year...not infinity (as is apparently the current rule)
It's simple in theory, it's not simple in practice.

Back in the days when a player requested a transfer and had to sit out one year, that transfer had to be approved and the school has to sign a release, and most of the time, there had to be an explanation for the transfer. In other words, yes NCAA can implement a rule saying you enter the portal but once you sign on the dotted line you are committed and binded and no more switching...fine...but the problem is there has to be an exception for it, this exception is what NCAA doesn't want to deal with on a case by case basis and play the role of investigating whether the claim of exception is legit or not for everyone who ask for one. Exceptions like:

My dad/mom/brother/sister got seriously sick, I need to stay closer to home in Oklahoma.
My dad got a new job, my entire family is moving from upstate NY to Austin TX, I no longer want to be enrolled in a NYS college.
My coach or assistant coach left, he was my tie to the school, I no longer want to go there.
I was promised a starting role, they just recruited over me yesterday, I want to start and play elsewhere.
I am experiencing asthma here in Miami, I never had this problem in Arizona, I want to move back to Arizona.
I want to change my major from Communications to Craft Brewing & Distillation Science and this school doesn't offer that major, I need to go to a school that offers that.
I have mental health issues and I need to stay close to home.
I was practicing yesterday and suffered an injury that may be season ending and I no longer feel I can contribute to this team by spending the season in rehab, I want to move closer to home.
My girlfriend in West Virginia is pregnant, I need to move there to be with her.
etc etc etc...

NCAA doesn't want to evaluate and judge on the exception cases, and you can't enforce and one chance rule without allowing an exception for the cases that are legit, but the reality is everyone is going to ask for an exception with all kinds of excuses.

It's simple in theory, it's not simple in practice.

Back in the days when a player requested a transfer and had to sit out one year, that transfer had to be approved and the school has to sign a release, and most of the time, there had to be an explanation for the transfer. In other words, yes NCAA can implement a rule saying you enter the portal but once you sign on the dotted line you are committed and binded and no more switching...fine...but the problem is there has to be an exception for it, this exception is what NCAA doesn't want to deal with on a case by case basis and play the role of investigating whether the claim of exception is legit or not for everyone who ask for one. Exceptions like:

My dad/mom/brother/sister got seriously sick, I need to stay closer to home in Oklahoma.
My dad got a new job, my entire family is moving from upstate NY to Austin TX, I no longer want to be enrolled in a NYS college.
My coach or assistant coach left, he was my tie to the school, I no longer want to go there.
I was promised a starting role, they just recruited over me yesterday, I want to start and play elsewhere.
I am experiencing asthma here in Miami, I never had this problem in Arizona, I want to move back to Arizona.
I want to change my major from Communications to Craft Brewing & Distillation Science and this school doesn't offer that major, I need to go to a school that offers that.
I have mental health issues and I need to stay close to home.
I was practicing yesterday and suffered an injury that may be season ending and I no longer feel I can contribute to this team by spending the season in rehab, I want to move closer to home.
My girlfriend in West Virginia is pregnant, I need to move there to be with her.
etc etc etc...

NCAA doesn't want to evaluate and judge on the exception cases, and you can't enforce and one chance rule without allowing an exception for the cases that are legit, but the reality is everyone is going to ask for an exception with all kinds of excuses.
interesting - didnt think of all that

but

otoh - a player like mintz didnt enter the portal so he cant play ncaa basketball next year right?

why?bc there's a rule that you have to enter the portal. and he didnt.

just need clear rules to buttress those already in place. the portal rules are too blurry and undeveloped, imo...they tweak them every year, too

imo you can transfer and go to any school you want...but playing ncabb isnt some god given right...there's an org that runs it and sets boundaries to protect all parties involved

even just the players themselves deserve to know and rest assured who their teammates will be when they make their decisions.

there's a lot of people's interests on the line when a single player makes a decision where to play. and they all deserve some clarity beyond the whims of who throws the biggest bag over the course of the offseason, imo.

is it fair to a player who commits to a school and then the starting center bounces in the middle of the offseason leaving a gapin hole in the roster? no!

i dont think there's an issue with letting players transfer as students but I do think that after a player has committed and SIGNED with a school that needs to mean more than just words...and backing out of that should come with penalties...

by all mean let a player transfer to another school but sorry cannot play for that new school this year after committing to your previous school for that year. tough luck.

how many different times do these players need to be able to switch schools? its getting ridiculous with 4 or 5 different schools in the player histories now...i dont really have a lot of sympathy for a player that signs with his 4th school and then decides he wants a 5th instead...life has consequences for decisons. time to learn in school.

if theres a serious excpetion thats a different story. and those cases already usually work out fine

for me i just see it as player rights and students rights arent the same thing...and the ncaa has jurisdicton over player rights, to some degree...players used to have to sit out a year to transfer...just bc nil came doesnt mean ncaa cant regulate their sport anymore.

Last edited:
interesting - didnt think of all that

but

otoh - a player like mintz didnt enter the portal so he cant play ncaa basketball next year right?

why?bc there's a rule that you have to enter the portal. and he didnt.

just need clear rules to buttress those already in place. the portal rules are too blurry and undeveloped, imo...they tweak them every year, too

imo you can transfer and go to any school you want...but playing ncabb isnt some god given right...there's an org that runs it and sets boundaries to protect all parties involved

even just the players themselves deserve to know and rest assured who their teammates will be when they make their decisions.

there's a lot of people's interests on the line when a single player makes a decision where to play. and they all deserve some clarity beyond the whims of who throws the biggest bag over the course of the offseason, imo.

is it fair to a player who commits to a school and then the starting center bounces in the middle of the offseason leaving a gapin hole in the roster? no!

i dont think there's an issue with letting players transfer as students but I do think that after a player has committed and SIGNED with a school that needs to mean more than just words...and backing out of that should come with penalties...

by all mean let a player transfer to another school but sorry cannot play for that new school this year after committing to your previous school for that year. tough luck.

how many different times do these players need to be able to switch schools? its getting ridiculous with 4 or 5 different schools in the player histories now...i dont really have a lot of sympathy for a player that signs with his 4th school and then decides he wants a 5th instead...life has consequences for decisons. time to learn in school.

if theres a serious excpetion thats a different story. and those cases already usually work out fine

for me i just see it as player rights and students rights arent the same thing...and the ncaa has jurisdicton over player rights, to some degree...players used to have to sit out a year to transfer...just bc nil came doesnt mean ncaa cant regulate their sport anymore.
I am not disagreeing that the current state of free for all transfer and going to the highest bidder before during and after commitment has been made is insane, but the problem is NCAA used to limit transfers and then they gave up partially because they didn't want to deal with an increasing amount of the players petitioning for an exception and they can't investigate every case so they gave up and said have at it, transfer all you want here is a portal.

Something has to happen though. I predict one of these will happen soon.

(1) Coaches got so sick of it they go at each other...kind of like John Chaney threatened to kill John Calipari at a UMass press conference over some recruiting drama.
(2) Modifications of contract terms between players and schools to include some sort of a buy out clause with a severe financial penalty if the player switches team after signing.
(3) Schools have enough of it that they start to work together to basically stay away from players who uncommit. If you commit then back out, you tarnish your name image and likeness and you are dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom