Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Just blows my mind - $750k for one year for a guy that isn't even an NBA prospect.
Forth and McNeil weren’t NBA prospects. They were, though, the components that we needed.

Is 750k a lot if it means the difference between making or not making the tournament? And consider also that making it isn’t just about playing a game or two. It’s also about taking the first steps toward reclaiming who we think we are, both to us and to the next recruits and transfers.

interesting - didnt think of all that

but

otoh - a player like mintz didnt enter the portal so he cant play ncaa basketball next year right?

why?bc there's a rule that you have to enter the portal. and he didnt.

just need clear rules to buttress those already in place. the portal rules are too blurry and undeveloped, imo...they tweak them every year, too

imo you can transfer and go to any school you want...but playing ncabb isnt some god given right...there's an org that runs it and sets boundaries to protect all parties involved

even just the players themselves deserve to know and rest assured who their teammates will be when they make their decisions.

there's a lot of people's interests on the line when a single player makes a decision where to play. and they all deserve some clarity beyond the whims of who throws the biggest bag over the course of the offseason, imo.

is it fair to a player who commits to a school and then the starting center bounces in the middle of the offseason leaving a gapin hole in the roster? no!

i dont think there's an issue with letting players transfer as students but I do think that after a player has committed and SIGNED with a school that needs to mean more than just words...and backing out of that should come with penalties...

by all mean let a player transfer to another school but sorry cannot play for that new school this year after committing to your previous school for that year. tough luck.

how many different times do these players need to be able to switch schools? its getting ridiculous with 4 or 5 different schools in the player histories now...i dont really have a lot of sympathy for a player that signs with his 4th school and then decides he wants a 5th instead...life has consequences for decisons. time to learn in school.

if theres a serious excpetion thats a different story. and those cases already usually work out fine

for me i just see it as player rights and students rights arent the same thing...and the ncaa has jurisdicton over player rights, to some degree...players used to have to sit out a year to transfer...just bc nil came doesnt mean ncaa cant regulate their sport anymore.
If it doesn’t apply to coaches, administrators, and professors, then it shouldn’t be applied to athletes.

I am not disagreeing that the current state of free for all transfer and going to the highest bidder before during and after commitment has been made is insane, but the problem is NCAA used to limit transfers and then they gave up partially because they didn't want to deal with an increasing amount of the players petitioning for an exception and they can't investigate every case so they gave up and said have at it, transfer all you want here is a portal.
No. The NCAA didn’t want another antitrust loss.

Not sure if you listened to the Jason Belzer interview I linked from Orange Nation, but that is exactly what is starting to happen. Programs, including Syracuse, are no longer pretending payments to athletes are anything but pay for play and it is becoming more prevalent that the major collectives are using multi-year agreements with a claw back provision or transfer fee if the player leaves.

Apologies for the duplicate link, but this is something we all should view.

Amazing that's exactly what I've been harping about.
These agreements need to have provisions for non performance, breaches, etc

Just blows my mind - $750k for one year for a guy that isn't even an NBA prospect.
That one guy just got over $2 million and I don’t believe he’s ever been projected to be picked in a mock draft. He does have more of a chance to be drafted than Lampkin though.

There's been a good discussion on Orange Nation about the Lampkin situation and the issues it brings up. Paulie speculated on what rules could be applied to bring the NIL and portal situation. One caller, ("Scooter"), pointed out that pro leagues have anti-trust status and the NCAA doesn't so the NCAA's ability to make rules and make them stick in court is limited.

I said that that leaves us at the mercy of the much-lauded "invisible hand of the market" which is supposed to produce the proper result each time. You have to be able to seek your own level to make that work. I again suggested that, if we can't compete at the highest level in the market for players, we need to find a level we can compete at. Paulie and Steve understood my point but they still feel SU has to be at the highest level of college college football, whatever that is, even if it's a new level that never existed before.

So we'd better have plenty of cash.
I've been on board with you SWC from the beginning.I don't want to compete with the huge state university monoliths with 100,000+ seat stadiums and 10x the alumni and fanbase that SYR has. I'd rather see us in a private school conference with schools with similar resources and objectives. It may be an unpopular opinion with many on the board but I'd rather see a competitive team playing on the same level as our opponents.

I've been on board with you SWC from the beginning.I don't want to compete with the huge state university monoliths with 100,000+ seat stadiums and 10x the alumni and fanbase that SYR has. I'd rather see us in a private school conference with schools with similar resources and objectives. It may be an unpopular opinion with many on the board but I'd rather see a competitive team playing on the same level as our opponents.

You might feel this way, but 99.9% of people disagree. I know this because we already have it in Syracuse with LeMoyne. You can sit ciurtside for one of their games and buy a popcorn and soda for less than it costs to park at an SU game, and nobody goes.

You might feel this way, but 99.9% of people disagree. I know this because we already have it in Syracuse with LeMoyne. You can sit ciurtside for one of their games and buy a popcorn and soda for less than it costs to park at an SU game, and nobody goes.
Exactly. Just keeping it real -- if Syracuse goes down a level, I go casual at best. More likely just full on NBA.

Eh, Fran has a whole team of coaches, most with significant experience. He is not going it alone when game time comes.
Dino had 6 years experience leading a team, and brought in guys with experience and success at their respective coordinator positions and still failed. Some have it and some don’t. The plus for Fran is he get to showcase his talents now, red is struggling and that’s a massive negative on him, even if he eventually proves to be a good in game coach he can’t win the approval until the season starts again

Exactly. Just keeping it real -- if Syracuse goes down a level, I go casual at best. More likely just full on NBA.
I don’t know a thing about European soccer or any soccer for that matter, but that relegation thing they do over there sounds like an interesting way to do things.Maybe someone could figure a way to do that in college athletics.

I wish more local people would take advantage of LeMoyne. Trevor Roe and Will Amica, two local kids will be Dolphins this year. There are enough good local players to have 2-3 a year on the team.A few hundred people could really create a home court advantage for them.

I wish more local people would take advantage of LeMoyne. Trevor Roe and Will Amica, two local kids will be Dolphins this year. There are enough good local players to have 2-3 a year on the team.A few hundred people could really create a home court advantage for them.

I went to more LeMoyne games last year than I did SU games. It's an easier experience to take a 6 year old and watching D1 players from a courtside seat is amazing even if it is a lower level of D1. Great experience for sure.

I went to more LeMoyne games last year than I did SU games. It's an easier experience to take a 6 year old and watching D1 players from a courtside seat is amazing even if it is a lower level of D1. Great experience for sure.
I always give a ton a credit to parents who bring younger children to the dome for big games. Seems like a huge PITA

I always give a ton a credit to parents who bring younger children to the dome for big games. Seems like a huge PITA
Totally depends on the kid. My son and I have had season tickets for football since he was 4. Just the two of us. It’s coming up on our 11th season and it’s been awesome.
My daughter hasn’t been once and probably will never go. She hates loud noises.

Dino had 6 years experience leading a team, and brought in guys with experience and success at their respective coordinator positions and still failed. Some have it and some don’t. The plus for Fran is he get to showcase his talents now, red is struggling and that’s a massive negative on him, even if he eventually proves to be a good in game coach he can’t win the approval until the season starts again

Red is not struggling as of yet.

Totally depends on the kid. My son and I have had season tickets for football since he was 4. Just the two of us. It’s coming up on our 11th season and it’s been awesome.
My daughter hasn’t been once and probably will never go. She hates loud noises.
Understand this concept. Started taking my daughter to Rays games when she was six. She played softball through high school. By the time the Rays made the Series in 2008 she loved going. We have our tickets from the win they got that year framed with our picture at the game.
She is 25 now and still calls going to Rays games “our thing.”

What are the taxes like in Bali? Have you seen any iguanas?

The probability of which is either 50% or 67%, depending on who you ask.
Al Roker Im watching you.gif