Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

If Eddie is indeed in better shape and gets to work as soon as a deal is finalized while making another jump in his final year he could be worth the money bringing him in cost and be one the best centers in the country next year.

Most guys improve year over year. We aren’t bringing in 35 yr old vets who’ve peaked. These are still kids who can keep improving as 5th and 4th yr seniors.

To me it’s important we make this happen and hopefully land that GSt kid and then get to work on putting these pieces together to get us back into the tourney

I feel like I missed something in the first 80 pages but we're thinking Eddie could be one of the best centers in the country next year?

I feel like I missed something in the first 80 pages but we're thinking Eddie could be one of the best centers in the country next year?

I’m saying if he has a good summer, gets in better shape and makes another jump like he did jr to sr year he could be in that conversation as one of the best in the country and ACC especially given a lot of good centers are now out of eligibility or gone pro. Right now he’s a good offensive center with a skillset at his size that is scarce when you look across cbb. Defensively is a different story.

How did I prove your point? Did you even read my post? Duke has a better portal class than us!!!!

I used 247. You used ON3. But even if we use only ON3, you are skewing the numbers. Dukes rating is affected by a guy that is not ranked. Take away the unranked player and Duke averages a 92. Which would be the best in the ACC to go along with the #1 recruiting class.

Duke 4 transfers - 94, 91,91, unranked

Syracuse 3 transfers - 91, 90, 90

You picked Duke because they are a top brand. Which is crazy to compare us to Duke, but you are wrong about their portal class!!!!
Just going back the overall On3 rankings. They’re not my rankings and I don’t run the site.

Nope. He is just big and has tourney experience. If he decided to go back to work for Buzz we’d be stuck begging to have Patterson and Carey come back.

How did I prove your point? Did you even read my post? Duke has a better portal class than us!!!!

I used 247. You used ON3. But even if we use only ON3, you are skewing the numbers. Dukes rating is affected by a guy that is not ranked. Take away the unranked player and Duke averages a 92. Which would be the best in the ACC to go along with the #1 recruiting class.

Duke 4 transfers - 94, 91,91, unranked

Syracuse 3 transfers - 91, 90, 90

You picked Duke because they are a top brand. Which is crazy to compare us to Duke, but you are wrong about their portal class!!!!

One final comment for the week… Let’s also be fair while I get the math in your point - that kid from Rice actually playing a meaningful minute would be quite something so unranked might not be all that far off…

One final comment for the week… Let’s also be fair while I get the math in your point - that kid from Rice actually playing a meaningful minute would be quite something so unranked might not be all that far off…
Well that’s kind of my point. He probably won’t play. So really they only added 3 guys. All 3 of which are better than what we added.

Well that’s kind of my point. He probably won’t play. So really they only added 3 guys. All 3 of which are better than what we added.

Are they? Maybe but who knows. Gillis was a role player, Sion a solid player for the 10th place team in the American and then of course Maliq who is their best addition. Nothing flashy at all in that portal class when you break it down outside our guy that sets them apart from our haul so far.

There is too much speculation based on arbitrary rankings when it comes to the portal no different than how UK and Duke HS recruiting classes win them the off season too. We had a higher rated portal class last year… I’ll leave that one to stand on its own based on the results.

Are they? Maybe but who knows. Gillis was a role player, Sion a solid player for the 10th place team in the American and then of course Maliq who is their best addition. Nothing flashy at all in that portal class when you break it down outside our guy that sets them apart from our haul so far.

There is too much speculation based on arbitrary rankings when it comes to the portal no different than how UK and Duke HS recruiting classes win them the off season too. We had a higher rated portal class last year… I’ll leave that one to stand on its own based on the results.
Duke has three lottery picks in next year's draft in their freshman recruiting class. Maybe four. I went through their roster and couldn't figure out how Maliq Brown gets any playing time. He's literally deep depth for them in case two centers and/or two power forwards get hurt. He left us as one of our most important players and arrived at Duke as the fifth guy in a four man rotation at center and power forward.

I imagine he's excited about playing only in blowouts after the real players beat up on somebody.

Duke's transfer class could be you, me and Doc Holliday's bones, and they would be just about as irrelevant to Duke next season.

Meanwhile, if Lampkin doesn't come here next season, we're starting an injured McLeod who, when healthy, can play about 20 minutes with literally no backup center on the roster.

Our other transfers are deep depth.

I'm not sure who in their right mind would be comparing Syracuse to Duke when it comes to recruiting.

Duke has three lottery picks in next year's draft in their freshman recruiting class. Maybe four. I went through their roster and couldn't figure out how Maliq Brown gets any playing time. He's literally deep depth for them in case two centers and/or two power forwards get hurt. He left us as one of our most important players and arrived at Duke as the fifth guy in a four man rotation at center and power forward.

I imagine he's excited about playing only in blowouts after the real players beat up on somebody.
That's funny because I was speaking to somebody on staff at Duke last week and was told there's a good chance Maliq will start. But I guess you must know better.

1- we got more than just Diggs and McCord. And Football NIL has a much bigger value to pull money from. Again, I doubt we crack the top 30 in NIL funds.

2- college football is allowed 10 coaches for 85 players. Average of 8.5 players per coach.

College basketball is allowed 6 coaches for 15 players. Average of 2.5 players per coach.

3- how did he shake up the assistant coaches? He replaced himself and then Gerry got a promotion? That’s shaking it up? He kept the status Que. we kept the band together after the least successful 10 year stretch in basketball history.

4- I’m not talking about in game coaching. Hence I didn’t mention it in my post. I don’t love everything he does, but that has nothing to do with the point I’m making about roster construction, recruiting assistant coaches, and the players he targets in the transfer portal. That was the point of my post.

5- are we not in a bidding war right now with Texas A&M? Was it not reported that we had to increase our offer? And now we need another face to face meeting? So a possible 3rd negotiation?
How many games as he won? Why don't we wait to see how Fran does with all of the other things other than recruiting that go in to being a head coach at the college level?

Per On3, you have to scroll for a lonnnng time and keep clicking “show more” before you reach our transfers.

The portal transfers are ranked:
Lampkin 196
Davis 128
Carlos 256

This is per On3.

I fail to understand how anyone could put any positive inference on a #41 portal transfer ranking when these are the individual numbers from that same site. What does #41 mean, when the average is 194.

Obviously, not all teams took or needed 3 players. Obviously, not all teams needed an influx of talent just to make a jump into expected tournament contention. Obviously, not all teams lost more players than they took in. So, what the hell does #41 mean? What’s the hammer for? Struggling to understand why there is so much infighting. We are all on the same team, even with different perspectives. I wish we could share common sense. Seems to be implicit in the term.
you should include freeman and moore in the class...and you should also include the returning players

I much rather pick up players that fit and want to be here and buy-in etc than flashy names with high rankings who play me me me ball

How many games as he won? Why don't we wait to see how Fran does with all of the other things other than recruiting that go in to being a head coach at the college level?

I think my point is being missed. I’m showing what Fran has been able to build in the offseason with more disadvantages than what Red has on the basketball side of things.

The original question was in regards to the advantages the basketball program has over the football program and why the football team has been able to do a complete 180 in the offseason from a perception point of view. Meanwhile, the basketball program seems to be faltering?

It had nothing to do with actual game-planning or actual gameday coaching.

I believe Kiyan could be a difference maker in changing the perception of SU basketball. The problem is, that is still 1 year away. I’m concerned that we missed on pg options and now our best transfer is playing games with us. It could be a very concerning year. The. You’re looking at two really poor years and the pressure is tenfold. Now you have the pressure on you and diminishing resources to build a team around kiyan.

By the way, did we ever hire 2 additional coaches we are allotted that are not allowed to recruit? Maybe I missed something, but that seems like a miss on the administration or Red to not fill those positions. Maybe an offensive and defensive coordinator.

I think my point is being missed. I’m showing what Fran has been able to build in the offseason with more disadvantages than what Red has on the basketball side of things.

The original question was in regards to the advantages the basketball program has over the football program and why the football team has been able to do a complete 180 in the offseason from a perception point of view. Meanwhile, the basketball program seems to be faltering?

It had nothing to do with actual game-planning or actual gameday coaching.

I believe Kiyan could be a difference maker in changing the perception of SU basketball. The problem is, that is still 1 year away. I’m concerned that we missed on pg options and now our best transfer is playing games with us. It could be a very concerning year. The. You’re looking at two really poor years and the pressure is tenfold. Now you have the pressure on you and diminishing resources to build a team around kiyan.

By the way, did we ever hire 2 additional coaches we are allotted that are not allowed to recruit? Maybe I missed something, but that seems like a miss on the administration or Red to not fill those positions. Maybe an offensive and defensive coordinator.
I think you are overrating Anthony a bit. I will also wait and see how this off season all shakes out before I say that we are faltering right now.

This is why comparing and ratings don’t make any sense. They used the portal to bring in super smart, hustling team-first adults to blend and lead their kids. That’s not gonna trigger high ratings but it’s exactly what they need. I actually got some (rare) first hand feedback on the analytical software they use to be the first filter as they narrow the batch of of portal guys which led them to who they target (as a start, before more vetting). I was told only two players have been promised starting spots and the rest will work itself out. It sounds like they’re super dialed in to make the most of what they have. It honestly sounds like the opposite of Kentucky and some of the other teams who failed with hot shot freshman as the lead.

I think you are overrating Anthony a bit. I will also wait and see how this off season all shakes out before I say that we are faltering right now.
I think he is very good. But I think more so, the name will do wonders to rejuvenate the fan base and the casual fans. More interest, will result in more money for the program.

I looked up the assistant coach thing. And didn’t see anything online. Any idea why we have not hired two non recruiting assistant coaches? Any idea if that is Reds decision? Seems like a no brainer to get as many coaches as posssible. Even if they can’t recruit. Help with game planning, philosophers, in game decisions, etc.

OOOH!!! So we're sliiiiiightly less crappy in the transfer portal than Dook -

who took our best player -

and we're supposed to somehow feel superior in some fashion about that??
Are people delusional enough to think Judah wasnt our best player last year?

Maybe you just hear it a lot and it stuck in your head?
Tv Show No GIF by The Daily Show