Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 90 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Oh yeah, well whatever opinion you have here, YOU'RE ALL IDIOTS

Pop Tv Seriously GIF by One Day At A Time

Dasher before Lampkin fiasco: “We’re bringing in another guard and another forward. Names you will recognize.”

Dasher after the Lampkin fiasco: “Yeah, that’s out the window now.”
There are still a lot of players out there. Every season my favorite baseball team brings in quality players I've never heard of, or forgotten all about, in spite of there only being 30 MLB teams and me being a pretty big fan.

There are 362 division 1 teams, and more than half of the division 1 players entered the portal this year. Some of those guys entered the portal thinking they were the Lampkin, Leffew or Richmond of the portal. The guy who was going to get rich from NIL money in his last season.

Some of those guys are now worrying if they can get any P5 roster place or any NIL at all. There will be bargains, as guys start to panic and take offers they wouldn't consider today.

Red will be a buyer among those late summer transfers, and our depth will fill in.

Maybe we'll even get quality to add to our rotation.

Surprised to see so many people complaining that the kid was negotiating. It's certainly annoying but it's more about the current state of college athletics, and us not having any other options at the position. He had leverage and he used it.

I get that roster building is tough for everyone right now but we haven't had a decent center recruit, outside of Jessie Edwards, since we stopped letting the players sleep with Laurie Fine. We need to get better there, or this will continue to happen.

Lampkin is part of the new wave of career college players, who will realize they likely don't have a clear path to the NBA, and it will be far more lucrative for them to be a hired gun before they head overseas. Judah should've done the same thing tbh.

Surprised to see so many people complaining that the kid was negotiating. It's certainly annoying but it's more about the current state of college athletics, and us not having any other options at the position. He had leverage and he used it.

I get that roster building is tough for everyone right now but we haven't had a decent center recruit, outside of Jessie Edwards, since we stopped letting the players sleep with Laurie Fine. We need to get better there, or this will continue to happen.

Lampkin is the part of the new wave of career college players, who will realize they likely don't have a clear path to the NBA, and it will be far more lucrative for them to be a hired gun before they head overseas. Judah should've done the same thing tbh.
The people complaining have never been in demand enough to warrant negotiating.

There are still a lot of players out there. Every season my favorite baseball team brings in quality players I've never heard of, or forgotten all about, in spite of there only being 30 MLB teams and me being a pretty big fan.

There are 362 division 1 teams, and more than half of the division 1 players entered the portal this year. Some of those guys entered the portal thinking they were the Lampkin, Leffew or Richmond of the portal. The guy who was going to get rich from NIL money in his last season.

Some of those guys are now worrying if they can get any P5 roster place or any NIL at all. There will be bargains, as guys start to panic and take offers they wouldn't consider today.

Red will be a buyer among those late summer transfers, and our depth will fill in.

Well said. So in other words how markets and economics work.

That sort of rationalization is fine, however it doesn’t address my point. Expectations were set before the Lampkin fiasco. Now we’re changing course and blaming Lampkin. That doesn’t make sense, though, because a donor stepped up to take care of Lampkin. So that entire ordeal should have no bearing on our existing plans.

This is what I mean by copium. We’re just making excuses for everything that has gone wrong, as if they’re not real issues.

Maliq Brown bails and now we’re pretending he’s not a big loss?

Leffew spurns us and now we’re pretending Plan B (Carlos) is better than or just as good as Plan A? (Who is backing up Carlos, BTW?)

Scapegoating Lampkin because negotiations with other players fell through and/or we don’t have as much NIL as we thought?

This offseason had the potential for an A grade. That required Red threading a needle, though. We’ve been depending on threading needles for years and it’s not working.

Can anyone explain to me how academics work in this open transfer proces. How do these kids seem to automatically qualify wherever they go ?? Did we forget these are academic institutions?
They have enough money to pay a Ghost Student, like a Ghost Writer.

I will say this again. Spend a few dollars and get Dean Francis Patreon pods. This Lampkin stuff is crazy. Reminds me of the Program or Blue Chips.

Seriously. It’s not just “he wanted a few more bucks”. But whatever people need to tell themselves.

I’ll root on THE GUY (not the “kid”) as he’s wearing a Syracuse uni. Hopefully he comes through for us.

Last edited:
NIL is different than free transfers. If the transfers without sitting out 1 year were limited to once as an undergraduate and once as a graduate, that would temper the number of transfers.
I like it. I've been struggling how to limit this mess without unnecessarily restricting players' options.

If we end up in another disappointing season then the clock starts ticking on Red. We’ve been conditioned to expect disappointment and failure and it comes out in every single post anymore. We just need to see better results plain and simple. The formula that gets us there no one really knows yet but Red has to make that call.

All fair. You are a great poster to me so I’m taking everything you say with value, but you also understand when I see a posts from the same people who called me (and you if I remember correctly) a bad fan because we were concerned that we replaced Sweet 16 level players with friends of Buddy and relatives, that I don’t value their opinions when they are calling folks negative without analysis, again.

I look at our roster and I see what Red is doing. I’ve made it clear that I like Red. I just don’t think the talent level is what is needed to be a serious tourney team. Bubble level? Could be! And if we make the tourney, you could say the concerns this offseason were overplayed

All fair. You are a great poster to me so I’m taking everything you say with value, but you also understand when I see a posts from the same people who called me (and you if I remember correctly) a bad fan because we were concerned that we replaced Sweet 16 level players with friends of Buddy and relatives, that I don’t value their opinions when they are calling folks negative without analysis, again.

I look at our roster and I see what Red is doing. I’ve made it clear that I like Red. I just don’t think the talent level is what is needed to be a serious tourney team. Bubble level? Could be! And if we make the tourney, you could say the concerns this offseason were overplayed

Hmmm I’m not sure I would have gone that far to defend Symir… but fair point whether it was me or not. I personally don’t particularly care how we are split as fans I’m just kind of at the point of until next fall we are all playing Nostradamus when it comes to what things will look like.

Hmmm I’m not sure I would have gone that far to defend Symir… but fair point whether it was me or not. I personally don’t particularly care how we are split as fans I’m just kind of at the point of until next fall we are all playing Nostradamus when it comes to what things will look like.

I’m saying you correctly called out that Symir wasn’t the level of player we were losing.

And it wasn’t and isn’t about being “right”. It’s the suggestion that “negative” thoughts aren’t genuine analysis. If I thought we had a lights out roster, I would be THRILLED and would say so

Last edited:
Seriously. It’s not just “he wanted a few more bucks”. But whatever people need to tell themselves.

I’ll root on THE GUY (not the “kid”) as he’s wearing a Syracuse uni. Hopefully he comes through for us.

Deans stuff is good on Eddie not to spoil it. Worth the listen. What’s funny is that it puts it out there in the open but Eddies demands are more the norm you see with this stuff than not. I look forward to when the NCAA is completely toothless and more guys talk openly about some of this stuff.

I’ve noted before I work with a guy who was an ACC guard back in the 80s. The stories of the stuff guys would demand and ask for is hilarious honestly. He follows the Cuse stuff a lot since we talk all the time and knows many of our former players being a DC guy ( not a Hoya).

We have the luxury of a community that is much bigger and more plugged in than a lot of other programs so we don’t necessarily read or hear about all the different demands etc other portal guys put out there today. Game hasn’t changed just more people can play it now.

I’m kind of in the middle here when it comes to folks who are angry at Lampkin, and folks who are fully supportive of him squeezing out every penny.

He’s certainly well within his rights to do what he did. And it’s not illegal. I won’t root against him or trash his character this year and after his career at Syracuse is over. I mainly blame the system that made this possible.

But I’m certainly not going to praise Lampkin either or say “he did nothing wrong.” If he had an agreement with Syracuse and then tried to reneg to make more $$ the decision certainly isn’t ethical. I won’t celebrate it.

And the whole “well any of us would’ve done the same thing” argument is hollow to me. A lot of people (I would argue most) do unethical things when they can benefit. That doesn’t make it right.

Last edited:
I’m kind of in the middle here when it comes to folks who are angry at Lampkin, and folks who are fully supportive of him squeezing out every penny.

He’s certainly well within his rights to do what he did. And it’s not illegal. I won’t root against him or trash his character this year and after his career at Syracuse is over. I mainly blame the system that made this possible.

But I’m certainly not going to praise Lampkin either or say “he didn’t nothing wrong.” If he had an agreement with Syracuse and then tried to reneg to make more $$ the decision certainly isn’t ethical. I won’t celebrate it.

And the whole “well any of us would’ve done the same thing” argument is hollow to me. A lot of people (I would argue most) do unethical things when they can benefit. That doesn’t make it right.

To me it’s time to become a bit more numb to all of this. If he works hard, balls out and is a good teammate then the money stuff is whatever. We were all salivating over Kadary coming back and he wanted a mid year deal negotiation at Seton Hall and probably would have cost us the kind of money that sent Eddie to A and M..

To me it’s time to become a bit more numb to all of this. If he works hard, balls out and is a good teammate then the money stuff is whatever. We were all salivating over Kadary coming back and he wanted a mid year deal negotiation at Seton Hall and probably would have cost us the kind of money that sent Eddie to A and M..

I don’t disagree. I’m too deep into this offseason but I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that I won’t really follow the roster swapping stuff going forward starting next spring/summer. It’s too hectic. I’ll get plugged in come the fall when rosters are set.