Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

We can’t be real about it. We have to just cross our fingers and hope things fall our way. Every year in recent history.

No tourney for 3 years. And still never seen an “I was wrong” post about the mess of the end of JBs run. But if Lumpkin wills us to a 21 win NIT season, your post will be bumped

If we end up in another disappointing season then the clock starts ticking on Red. We’ve been conditioned to expect disappointment and failure and it comes out in every single post anymore. We just need to see better results plain and simple. The formula that gets us there no one really knows yet but Red has to make that call.

Not knocking you but do you really think we should be able to land a class like Amari/big cliff while keeping Maliq and then getting a PG like Kadary? I mean I think the portal has created this expectation of super teams and that we should expect to be putting those kind of teams on the floor.

Donnie , JJ and Bell I’m sure are not cheap I’m sure and assuming Chance wasn’t either even with the injury. Now you add 3 more guys plus whoever else… that are all more experienced and thus cost money maybe more than what you see with a freshman.
I think we should complete our shopping list. We still have scholarships available; we should use them. We still have NIL at our disposal; we should spend it. Specifically:

1. Bring in a starting PG. Carlos committed as a backup. Settling on him as the starter means we failed to address one of our biggest needs.
2. Bring in a replacement for Maliq Brown. He wasn’t supposed to leave. He did. There’s still a void.
3. We supposedly had NIL funds at our disposal to address both of the above. Now we apparently don’t because of Lampkin. The problem with that logic is a donor “stepped up” to pay Lampkin, so the previous NIL funds should still be available. If those funds were also needed for Lampkin, then we didn’t have enough in the first place.

Look, we were told no one would outwork Red on the recruiting trail. Obviously that was hyperbolic. Still, we haven’t seen anything close to that. He’s been played by other coaches and players alike. That doesn’t mean I don’t want him to succeed. I do want him to succeed. He’s just not there yet and it’s OK to admit it.

If Lampkin is buying his Cuse gear at Shirt World, he shouldn't be surprised if what he thought he was paying is way different when he gets to the register.
John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

If Lampkin is buying his Cuse gear at Shirt World, he shouldn't be surprised if what he thought he was paying is way different when he gets to the register.
John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners
Karma.

Not my question I’m asking is it the expectation that we should be able to put a team like a Cliff/Amari with Donnie, Bell, JJ and Kadary ( or other top 3 PG) on the floor with expensive depth too? That would be a top 10 team on paper that was bought through the portal.

We are arguing names vs results at this early juncture in Reds tenure. UConn went with HS kids and a couple portal guys that weren’t huge names just solid gets. I just think people are getting way too caught up in chasing rankings and bigger names and not putting together a complete team.

I said it before but we are operating in an echo chamber as a fan base too as though other bigger programs aren’t battling with the same concerns.

The teams that have had success have taken different paths with the portal to meet with what they want to do. Last year felt more like name shopping- this year seems to have more strategy behind it. Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s waaaay too early to be considering this off season a crash and burn just because of the portal rankings of who we landed.

I’m still not sure what you mean.

the team you listed isn’t top 10. Bell and JJ are mid players at best.

Donnie hasn’t done anything on a D1 court.

This is my point — how many years do we need to go through the same exercise with inferior talent of waiting and seeing?

We are average or below average at every position as of now in our starting lineup barring Donnie blowing up or Chance killing it out of nowhere.

We have been mired in mediocrity for years. UConn is out here winning titles and going to put 3-5 players in the league in this draft alone.

I’m not trying to be obstinate with you, I enjoy your posts, but I’m done accepting where we are, even before the season.

Not my question I’m asking is it the expectation that we should be able to put a team like a Cliff/Amari with Donnie, Bell, JJ and Kadary ( or other top 3 PG) on the floor with expensive depth too? That would be a top 10 team on paper that was bought through the portal.

We are arguing names vs results at this early juncture in Reds tenure. UConn went with HS kids and a couple portal guys that weren’t huge names just solid gets. I just think people are getting way too caught up in chasing rankings and bigger names and not putting together a complete team.

I said it before but we are operating in an echo chamber as a fan base too as though other bigger programs aren’t battling with the same concerns.

The teams that have had success have taken different paths with the portal to meet with what they want to do. Last year felt more like name shopping- this year seems to have more strategy behind it. Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s waaaay too early to be considering this off season a crash and burn just because of the portal rankings of who we landed.
Solid take.

Mike Waters' take that we only have 10-11 (god willing) players on the team is because we don't need more.
Methinks it's because 1) we can't AFFORD more, and/or 2) we're not an attractive destination for talent any more.
Who wants to get paid now.

I’m still not sure what you mean.

the team you listed isn’t top 10. Bell and JJ are mid players at best.

Donnie hasn’t done anything on a D1 court.

This is my point — how many years do we need to go through the same exercise with inferior talent of waiting and seeing?

We are average or below average at every position as of now in our starting lineup barring Donnie blowing up or Chance killing it out of nowhere.

We have been mired in mediocrity for years. UConn is out here winning titles and going to out 3-5 players in the league.

I’m not trying to be obstinate with you, I enjoy your posts, but I’m done accepting where we are, even before the season.

I mean to be fair a top 15 freshman is a what if for any team is it not? But you recruit that level expecting they are what you think they are.

I’d argue that’s a top 10 team if you are also adding the kind of depth folks expect behind them. It was just an example pick your top portal guys that are expensive and name them instead. My point is the amount of money it takes is money not a lot of schools have so you have to find the right way to put the expensive pieces together from the portal with HS players and make it work. It took Hurley 3 years to right that ship. We are in year 2. We won’t be defensive juggernaut. We will be better offensively. We will be possibly better defensively if Chance and McLeod are healthy as options.

We overpaid for Eddie hands down but we had to and we would have had to plus more to get elite players at both key positions - and maybe then we can’t pay the returning guys.

If we won 23 games last year ( should have given some of the mental lapses) and made the tourney the perspective would be different. Our past has eliminated patience but we haven’t tanked under Red yet. We do have all the pieces to have a team that does what you want a winning team to do- can they execute and can our returning guys improve just as we have always leaned on for good years and bad years.

I expect the same level of top 5 seed as you- but it’s going to be a different formula for SU than it is other programs and we know Red is trying to find that right mix.

None of us know if this team is a tourney team , bubble team or bottom dweller.

Not knocking you but do you really think we should be able to land a class like Amari/big cliff while keeping Maliq and then getting a PG like Kadary? I mean I think the portal has created this expectation of super teams and that we should expect to be putting those kind of teams on the floor.

Donnie , JJ and Bell I’m sure are not cheap I’m sure and assuming Chance wasn’t either even with the injury. Now you add 3 more guys plus whoever else… that are all more experienced and thus cost money maybe more than what you see with a freshman.
Exactly. This isn’t a fantasy sports league.

Personally I’m watching what happens with Duke this coming year not because I think we compare. I do think however what Scheyer did this year will be a big driver for how teams construct their roster in future years.

5 5 star players and a 4 star recruit coming in and then the pick of the litter in the portal is just absurd talent wise. Theyve given him a blank check and the incoming players have basically said the brand and the big check is good enough for me regardless of whether I touch the court or not.

The Dookies have seen an early tourney departure and an elite 8 but more importantly have watched a UNC and NCstate team in their backyard go on better runs since K left. They’re not getting the return on spend they expect.

If Duke isn’t in the final 4 with this squad I think other coaches will take note and start thinking about whether paying the highest price for the most # of players and bringing in a whole roster of 5 star Fresh is really the recipe.

Everyone I think agrees that balance is needed but what we’re seeing real time right now in college sports is a lot of new and old coaches trying a lot of different things to figure out what works for their program.

I mean to be fair a top 15 freshman is a what if for any team is it not? But you recruit that level expecting they are what you think they are.

I’d argue that’s a top 10 team if you are also adding the kind of depth folks expect behind them. It was just an example pick your top portal guys that are expensive and name them instead. My point is the amount of money it takes is money not a lot of schools have so you have to find the right way to put the expensive pieces together from the portal with HS players and make it work. It took Hurley 3 years to right that ship. We are in year 2. We won’t be defensive juggernaut. We will be better offensively. We will be possibly better defensively if Chance and McLeod are healthy as options.

We overpaid for Eddie hands down but we had to and we would have had to plus more to get elite players at both key positions - and maybe then we can’t pay the returning guys.

If we won 23 games last year ( should have given some of the mental lapses) and made the tourney the perspective would be different. Our past has eliminated patience but we haven’t tanked under Red yet. We do have all the pieces to have a team that does what you want a winning team to do- can they execute and can our returning guys improve just as we have always leaned on for good years and bad years.

I expect the same level of top 5 seed as you- but it’s going to be a different formula for SU than it is other programs and we know Red is trying to find that right mix.

None of us know if this team is a tourney team , bubble team or bottom dweller.
I get your point, but my main concern is the lack of defense and lack of shooting outside of Bell. That’s not exactly a winning formula.

I get your point, but my main concern is the lack of defense and lack of shooting outside of Bell. That’s not exactly a winning formula.

Oh there are concerns and legit ones- this will be the hardest off season Red may ever have to get the returning guys to make major improvements in their games, all of the portal crap, adding a new coach and then apply what he’s learned as a coach to start winning more games and proving he’s got what it takes. We saw glimpses and the mess he managed was a big one. Things never come all together perfectly but he needs to be at 80 pct this upcoming year. I’m hoping that Chance not playing despite rumors he was close was a strategy play to make sure that gamble bears fruit.

I think we should complete our shopping list. We still have scholarships available; we should use them. We still have NIL at our disposal; we should spend it. Specifically:

1. Bring in a starting PG. Carlos committed as a backup. Settling on him as the starter means we failed to address one of our biggest needs.
2. Bring in a replacement for Maliq Brown. He wasn’t supposed to leave. He did. There’s still a void.
3. We supposedly had NIL funds at our disposal to address both of the above. Now we apparently don’t because of Lampkin. The problem with that logic is a donor “stepped up” to pay Lampkin, so the previous NIL funds should still be available. If those funds were also needed for Lampkin, then we didn’t have enough in the first place.

Look, we were told no one would outwork Red on the recruiting trail. Obviously that was hyperbolic. Still, we haven’t seen anything close to that. He’s been played by other coaches and players alike. That doesn’t mean I don’t want him to succeed. I do want him to succeed. He’s just not there yet and it’s OK to admit it.
Why are the coaches still locked in their offices watching tape if the NIL is totally gone? If there’s one thing we’ve seen before it’s that sometimes a big NIL donor magically appears when the bat signal goes up. Hell maybe even Dasher has a good day at the poker table and that’s enough to save the day and get the guy. When the staff finds the piece they want we’ll step up it just ain’t gonna be for a guy with a price tag of 400K.

Start the effort to get our NIL into the 5 million range then. Everyone seems to forget we had recruits and decent players returning too. It’s not like we had zero money already tied up before shopping the portal. Who you getting that’s a better PG in the portal right now??

Are contributions to an NIL fund currently tax deductible? Under the just announced tentative agreement between the NCAA and P4-5 conferences, would a donation to a University's own NIL fund be tax deductible?

You would be wrong.
You don’t know anything either. No one knows any of the actual realities of these NIL numbers. A lot of it is BS from agents and promised numbers and it’s all hugely incentive laden (a guy has to win conference player of the year or a championship to get anywhere near these numbers).

You don’t know anything either. No one knows any of the actual realities of these NIL numbers. A lot of it is BS from agents and promised numbers and it’s all hugely incentive laden (a guy has to win conference player of the year or a championship to get anywhere near these numbers).
That’s not how Syracuse has operated. At least until this season.

...and they've had recent success, so players WANT to play there, and some are willing to forego maximizing what they could get in NIL compensation at other schools to go be a part of that winning.

Bingo we have to prove we can win and there are multiple reasons to come play here. You can’t just buy that. The Johnnies are trying to do it again in year 2 as an example…

Why are the coaches still locked in their offices watching tape if the NIL is totally gone? If there’s one thing we’ve seen before it’s that sometimes a big NIL donor magically appears when the bat signal goes up. Hell maybe even Dasher has a good day at the poker table and that’s enough to save the day and get the guy. When the staff finds the piece they want we’ll step up it just ain’t gonna be for a guy with a price tag of 400K.
Dasher before Lampkin fiasco: “We’re bringing in another guard and another forward. Names you will recognize.”

Dasher after the Lampkin fiasco: “Yeah, that’s out the window now.”

How many games as he won? Why don't we wait to see how Fran does with all of the other things other than recruiting that go in to being a head coach at the college level?
Blasphemy