Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Yes it’s all about “you” and what u can get. Me and mine. NIL funds are a zero sum game. What he was able to up leaves less for others aka teammates.
But I’m from a very different era. My father served in the Normandy theatre at age 19. That’s the generation that raised me. I have given generously to this school from which I earned three degrees. Have attended every final 4 since I was a student in 1975.
This is a fan board. I can have an opinion. Unless those rules have changed too.

I don't believe anyone said you can't have an opinion. This seems to be a common defense around here when an unpopular view is expressed.

If you find your philosophies of ethics more beneficial to society as a whole, you do them no service by being the "get off my lawn guy" in my humble opinion. You are better served to meet them where they are, have the discussion and sell your "better philosophy" with your better results and behaviors. Attraction rather than promotion especially in this instant gratification world that has been bombarding young people with promotional information.

As far as Eddie or any of these other kids, what did they go to college for? Isn't the end goal to be more valuable in the job market? Its very easy on an internet board to tell someone else they should give away their money.

Eddie gives us a post presence and a guy to run the offense through. He is a capable and willing passer. These things are valuable and what the staff is looking for. Eddie is smart enough to recognize his value as are the coaches of other teams who were trying to get him away from us.

Lampkin is exactly what this team needed. We have an elite shooter in Bell, and a bunch of guys who can hit an open three.

What we needed was a guy who would force opponents to give those guys space. Lampkin is just like Arinze Onuaku. He has to be guarded in the post, usually doubled, or he will score at a very high rate. Except, Lampkin is a great passer.

Having Lampkin is going to really help the offense.

Lampkin also is the big body we've wanted since Georgetown and Pitt started bullying us 20 years ago... Nobody is doing that with Lampkin out there. It is going to be refreshing to airways have the biggest guy on the court, whether it's Lampkin or the Highlander.
I agree, also for a team that desperately needs a tourney appearance let me check my notes. Oh right he's the only player on our roster that has seen the post season. Sometimes that's what you need in the locker room.

I think that Red and the staff have done an excellent job since taking over from Jim. First lets all admit that the program was a mess. Jim left Red in a bad spot and for him to pull together 20 wins given what he inherited, the injuries, benny and whatever other drama he needed to clean up i find that pretty amazing.

Going into next season we have solid if not excellent players at all 5 positions. If Chance and McClead are healthy we are two deep at every position. I hope that we add another shooter and i would like to see Patterson come back. 12 kids on the roster not including walk ons would be fine. On paper i like this team. Lets see how the chemistry plays out but i do think we make the dance.
This! Every bit of this! I don't think people realize what a hole Jim left this program in. I get the Lampkin situation was a bit messy and Red appears to have gotten a bit desperate but what he's done since he took over has been fantastic. He had a mish-mash roster that he pushed to 20 wins (something Jim hadn't done since 18-19), recorded more ACC wins than Jim had since the initial ACC season, purged a poorly constructed roster and landed the best recruit we have seen since Melo. It hasn't been perfect, I get that but this team has every opportunity to be really really good.

It's not the player vs the team. It's the player vs the system, No offense but Eddie don't care about your feelings when it comes to a 20-30% pay increase. You can resent them if you want but i'll say again he didn't break any rule or code of conduct or break the law or do anything ethically wrong. If I have two job offers and I have not signed a contract I can do whatever I want. The NCAA put the players in the system and this is what happens.

The losing bidder can be pissed of course. We have now taken several players and their best football recruiter from a Texas A&M school that doesn't even know where Syracuse is on the map, honestly we should've expected this kind of crap. I'd hate to be a Texas A&M fan right now if Cuse is going to snipe other players from them.

For those actually paying attention the system has already changed just like that so all this whining may be a moot point by next year. Bet your butts large universities paying the player instead of random NIL collectives will look alot different.

NIL is not going away. Look at the WNBA Aces for example. NIL will still play a roll even if the universities are starting to pay the players.

And I know Lampkin doesn’t care what I think. My point being, I’m pissed at Lampkin cause I root for Syracuse University. Lampkin messed with our offseason, and prevented us from getting better in other areas by renegotiating like he did. I’m on record of saying nothing illegal happened. But as a fan, he hurt our program. And the only way to rectify that is to produce and win a lot of games.

Remember just yesterday when you said we don’t have Syracuse fans anymore and only have a bunch of NBA Scouts. You’re completely ignoring how this affected Syracuse University and the ability to get more players at other positions of need. He renegotiated multiple times and held us hostage. We had no chance but to match the offer so late in the game. But that goes against everything Red was trying to accomplish. And here you are applauding the player.

You’re essentially saying good for the player even if it was at the expense of Syracuse University.

I don't believe anyone said you can't have an opinion. This seems to be a common defense around here when an unpopular view is expressed.

If you find your philosophies of ethics more beneficial to society as a whole, you do them no service by being the "get off my lawn guy" in my humble opinion. You are better served to meet them where they are, have the discussion and sell your "better philosophy" with your better results and behaviors. Attraction rather than promotion especially in this instant gratification world that has been bombarding young people with promotional information.

As far as Eddie or any of these other kids, what did they go to college for? Isn't the end goal to be more valuable in the job market? Its very easy on an internet board to tell someone else they should give away their money.

Eddie gives us a post presence and a guy to run the offense through. He is a capable and willing passer. These things are valuable and what the staff is looking for. Eddie is smart enough to recognize his value as are the coaches of other teams who were trying to get him away from us.
Fact is very simple if we want better players, we make better NIL available. I do not like it, free agency every year. Kids can't have a favorite player over four years ant more and worse, sometimes a player fans love leaves for an opponent or conference rival. on the other hand, all you need is a deep check book and you can turn any program around legally now.

Fact is very simple if we want better players, we make better NIL available. I do not like it, free agency every year. Kids can't have a favorite player over four years ant more and worse, sometimes a player fans love leaves for an opponent or conference rival. on the other hand, all you need is a deep check book and you can turn any program around legally now.
NIL is different than free transfers. If the transfers without sitting out 1 year were limited to once as an undergraduate and once as a graduate, that would temper the number of transfers.

NIL is not going away. Look at the WNBA Aces for example. NIL will still play a roll even if the universities are starting to pay the players.

And I know Lampkin doesn’t care what I think. My point being, I’m pissed at Lampkin cause I root for Syracuse University. Lampkin messed with our offseason, and prevented us from getting better in other areas by renegotiating like he did. I’m on record of saying nothing illegal happened. But as a fan, he hurt our program. And the only way to rectify that is to produce and win a lot of games.

Remember just yesterday when you said we don’t have Syracuse fans anymore and only have a bunch of NBA Scouts. You’re completely ignoring how this affected Syracuse University and the ability to get more players at other positions of need. He renegotiated multiple times and held us hostage. We had no chance but to match the offer so late in the game. But that goes against everything Red was trying to accomplish. And here you are applauding the player.

You’re essentially saying good for the player even if it was at the expense of Syracuse University.
I’m looking closely at the WNBA Aces right now and will spend my weekend researching how they compare with Cuse Men’s hoops.

Hopefully SU and our staff learned a valuable lesson with how this played out and it won’t happen again with the rule changes already anyway.

Eddie is on campus and like it or not he’s a huge part of the team next year and we have a lot riding on him. I’d almost take it as far as saying Autry’s career as head coach is on the line. If he’s a bust Autrys butt will be on fire heading into year 3.

I’m looking closely at the WNBA Aces right now and will spend my weekend researching how they compare with Cuse Men’s hoops.

Hopefully SU and our staff learned a valuable lesson with how this played out and it won’t happen again with the rule changes already anyway.

Eddie is on campus and like it or not he’s a huge part of the team next year and we have a lot riding on him. I’d almost take it as far as saying Autry’s career as head coach is on the line. If he’s a bust Autrys butt will be on fire heading into year 3.
Someone in Vegas is paying every WNBA aces player on the team 100,000 dollars for name image and likeness sponsorships. Navigating the WNBA Salary cap. The average WNBA salary is 102,000 dollars. So everyone on the aces is getting an additional 100,000 dollars more than any other team.

The point, paying players for NIL is not going away even when the colleges start paying players. NIL can be used in every sport. I assume that it doesn’t occur in most professional settings because the top players are already signing massive deals and NIL money would be so irrelevant. That’s not the case in college, even when the teams start paying players. If not the top players, the medium and lower end players will get more NIL to ensure that player goes to that school.

I think this is about the ambiguous statement(s) from Lampkin himself, about how he ‘couldn’t go back to Boulder/Colorado’ or somesuch. I’ve read that a few times, and then there have been reaction posts from us that have ‘interpreted’ that in various ways, from relationship issues to conditioning related to the altitude. I still don’t know the actual reason.
My understanding (from reading a bunch of articles, his former team fan boards, and this monstrous thread) is that Lampkin had trouble with the altitude. His weight gain and lack of endurance last season would support this, but it may be hearsay and not his own words.

But he was heavy to finish the season compared to current photos, and he also moved like he might have been injured at the end of last season. He had a definite hitch in his gossip giddy-uo that wasn't there during his most recent workout videos.

The fact he dominated in the NCAA tournament despite bad conditioning and a possible injury really bodes well for us if both those things are ameliorated this off season.

I feel like I missed something in the first 80 pages but we're thinking Eddie could be one of the best centers in the country next year?
I don't think anybody expects him to be the best center in the country in an absolute sense... He's not getting drafted higher than any of Duke's 4 lottery pick centers and forwards, for instance.

But his skill set on offense might make him the best center in the country for us.

Also, the contrast between the Highlander and Lampkin's playing styles and body types might make for synergy as they are rotated in and out quickly.

Last edited:
Good on him. Terrible on our roster managemen and strategy for who we went after this offseason.

Bingo. This is a crazy overpay and the way that it dragged on is awful and limited what else we could do.

Our roster is maybe bubble, at best, now and we had to scramble just to be here.

As Day2 stated, this was a scramble for Red, not for Cuse. We aren't doing anything of note this year with this roster.

Glad Lampkin is getting some Cuse swag. Cool.

I definitely believe Lampkin did the right thing for himself, taking care of himself in an unregulated free market. The whole nature of this college free agency is technically illegal, so there aren't any rules at all. He helped himself, and is much better off as a result.

I also hold resentment, as you do, for screwing with our team's plan this off season. Birth things can be true.

I also am very relieved things wound up with him in Syracuse.

My hope is that, in six months, if not earlier, the consensus among Syracuse fans is:

Lampkin, Worth Every Penny!

Last edited:
Bingo. This is a crazy overpay and the way that it dragged on is awful and limited what else we could do.

Our roster is maybe bubble, at best, now and we had to scramble just to be here.

As Day2 stated, this was a scramble for Red, not for Cuse. We aren't doing anything of note this year with this roster.

Not knocking you but do you really think we should be able to land a class like Amari/big cliff while keeping Maliq and then getting a PG like Kadary? I mean I think the portal has created this expectation of super teams and that we should expect to be putting those kind of teams on the floor.

Donnie , JJ and Bell I’m sure are not cheap I’m sure and assuming Chance wasn’t either even with the injury. Now you add 3 more guys plus whoever else… that are all more experienced and thus cost money maybe more than what you see with a freshman.

Last edited:

I wish people would stop saying the word overpay when they clearly don't understand what it means. We aren't at a convenient store where we can go half a mile to find another store selling the same candy bar for less. Lampkin, and other players with his size and skill, are rare. And every team wants them.

Other teams are paying similar players as much or more than we're paying Lampkin. There are only so many skilled, experienced, big men to go around, and most of them are in the NBA.

Another team tried to poach him from us by offering this much money!

If the market says he is worth this much money, it isn't an overpay, it is exactly what he's worth.

I wish people would stop saying the word overpay when they clearly don't understand what it means. We aren't at a convenient store where we can go half a mile to find another store selling the same candy bar for less. Lampkin, and other players with his size and skill, are rare. And every team wants them.

Other teams are paying similar players as much or more than we're paying Lampkin. There are only so many skilled, experienced, big men to go around, and most of them are in the NBA.

If the market says he is worth this much money, it isn't an overpay, it is exactly what he's worth.

Nah. I’ll call it an overpay. We can just disagree.

Not knocking you but do you really think we should be able to land a class like Amari/big cliff while keeping Maliq and then getting a PG like Kadary? I mean I think the portal has created this expectation of super teams and that we should expect to be putting those kind of teams on the floor.

What super team? We aren’t even a roster that’s a lock for the tournament.

Should the expectation be that this is who we are now? If so, all good. But let’s be real about the roster we have

I wish people would stop pretending the word overpay doesn’t exist.

Should the expectation be that this is who we are now? If so, all good. But let’s be real about the roster we have

We can’t be real about it. We have to just cross our fingers and hope things fall our way. Every year in recent history.

No tourney for 3 years. And still never seen an “I was wrong” post about the mess of the end of JBs run. But if Lumpkin wills us to a 21 win NIT season, your post will be bumped

Not my question I’m asking is it the expectation that we should be able to put a team like a Cliff/Amari with Donnie, Bell, JJ and Kadary ( or other top 3 PG) on the floor with expensive depth too? That would be a top 10 team on paper that was bought through the portal.

We are arguing names vs results at this early juncture in Reds tenure. UConn went with HS kids and a couple portal guys that weren’t huge names just solid gets. I just think people are getting way too caught up in chasing rankings and bigger names and not putting together a complete team.

I said it before but we are operating in an echo chamber as a fan base too as though other bigger programs aren’t battling with the same concerns.

The teams that have had success have taken different paths with the portal to meet with what they want to do. Last year felt more like name shopping- this year seems to have more strategy behind it. Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s waaaay too early to be considering this off season a crash and burn just because of the portal rankings of who we landed.