Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 99 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

He's not nearly efficient enough for his size and position to be great.

He's not nearly good enough on the short roll to handle the pass and then decision making facing the bucket from that point on the floor.

He had three NBA players with him on the court last year.

Won't be the case this year. Maybe 1 that won't be hitting his NBA potential during the year.

It’s interesting that Colorado had 3 NBA draft picks on that team because watching them you would never know it. A team with that much pro talent should be a 1 or 2 seed not a 10.

If he is going to be his best version of himself it would be a combination of his offense at Colorado and his overall game/defense at TCU.

His back injury last year may have played a role too. Not saying he’s a completely different player but his lift and movement was better his Jr year vs Sr year that he fought through the injury with.

I expect our offense will be a bit different this year vs running the short roll with Maliq so often.

2 big things to look for as we get into real practice will be his conditioning and snippets of where he is setting up vs where we have Donnie setting up. I’m very curious to see how Red plans to play them off one another.

While I do think Mike is a little too confident Lampkin won't work out for us, he's not wrong to question it. I don't remember seeing too many SU NCAA tourney games recently, so not all of our roster moves are working out the way we hoped.

While I do think Mike is a little too confident Lampkin won't work out for us, he's not wrong to question it. I don't remember seeing too many SU NCAA tourney games recently, so not all of our roster moves are working out the way we hoped.
Same...I think he's way overhyped on this board, but he DOES have nifty low post moves which we haven't had forever and he does have size/strength. The concern is he's had that since he came into college basketball and that hasn't resulted in a dominating rebounder. Maybe this is the year he puts it all together. If he does make a leap on offense with the level of shooter Bell is, could be a great offensive duo. Defense, I think is the valid question no one seems to have an answer for other than hope.

I'd also note...outside of Zoo who's always an honest debater... No one is actually addressing what Mike said with counter opinions.

It's like deja vu the last 5+ years.
"I don't think so and so is a point guard. Here are my reasons why..."
OK COACH. Snide answers. Losing season ensues. "You're a troll" Rinse and repeat.

We all hope it gets better. The fact the level of discourse hasn't changed is disappointing though.

We should be able to agree to disagree all while rooting on our guys.

JJ and Bell are the key, Donnie being a one and done and Eddie being good enough then the rest doing their part. I think it’s fair to say if we are putting Eddie being better than good enough as the first priority then it’s too much to expect. I like what he can bring but won’t deny I have questions too. Show us you can give us the best you got on both ends of the court and I’ll be content. If we do much better than making the tourney we will all be beside ourselves but making the tourney should be the realistic goal we all hold as a top end success measure this year.

If people can’t see that Lampkin is a quality offensive player i literally believe they have not watched a single speck of game footage from him last year. Please for the love of god turn off the advanced stat brain rot and access your “that boy nice” level of analysis.

This guy is everything you want out of a 5 on the offensive end. I am pointing out plays that had nothing to do with the NBA talent on the floor. They are plays that would have not been possible without his offensive skills, and it’s a March madness game with the season on the line. The only reasonable anti-Lampkin takes begin and end with his defense, not definitive statements about him being incapable of one specific aspect of playing the 5 on O. That is just a bunch of nonsense. He balls on offense. Period.

If people can’t see that Lampkin is a quality offensive player i literally believe they have not watched a single speck of game footage from him last year. Please for the love of god turn off the advanced stat brain rot and access your “that boy nice” level of analysis.

This guy is everything you want out of a 5 on the offensive end. I am pointing out plays that had nothing to do with the NBA talent on the floor. They are plays that would have not been possible without his offensive skills, and it’s a March madness game with the season on the line. The only reasonable anti-Lampkin takes begin and end with his defense, not definitive statements about him being incapable of one specific aspect of playing the 5 on O. That is just a bunch of nonsense. He balls on offense. Period.

He’s a good offensive player and a good energy guy on the floor. He does gamble at times too much as a passer and at times isn’t great in positioning himself off pick and roll action. He’s a lot like DJ Burns who was a solid college center who had a great run at NC State and had his dominant moments. I think there is a measure of overhyping the kid as some have said. He has to prove he is significantly better to reach that hype and that’s a question mark plus maybe a bit unreasonable to expect. He would be a key piece but not “the piece” of this years team. We need a lot of things to go right in our favor this year in terms of improvement and health for everything to click so the “make the tourney” goals are a fair top end expectation at the moment. We could all be shocked by a better than expected team or disappointed at this juncture. Lady Luck hasn’t treated us very well of recent so…

I’m a fan and like that we have him this year to be clear. I’d take 5th year Jesse over 5th year Eddie but glad we have a legit 5 man with some beef in the middle who is a problem for opponents in the paint.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned I will say is I do love how he seals his man on the glass and how even if he doesn’t get the board he occupies space and a player to allow teammates to attack the glass ( note to Donnie).

It’s interesting that Colorado had 3 NBA draft picks on that team because watching them you would never know it. A team with that much pro talent should be a 1 or 2 seed not a 10.

If he is going to be his best version of himself it would be a combination of his offense at Colorado and his overall game/defense at TCU.

His back injury last year may have played a role too. Not saying he’s a completely different player but his lift and movement was better his Jr year vs Sr year that he fought through the injury with.

I expect our offense will be a bit different this year vs running the short roll with Maliq so often.

2 big things to look for as we get into real practice will be his conditioning and snippets of where he is setting up vs where we have Donnie setting up. I’m very curious to see how Red plans to play them off one another.

You have a fair argument. But we aren’t giving the keys to JJ to change our O and our concepts, imo.

JJ is going to need/want a screen to start almost every O possession.

Who is setting that screen? Who is re-screening? Who is handling the roll?

You have a fair argument. But we aren’t giving the keys to JJ to change our O and our concepts, imo.

I think this is why we may not see heavy minutes with JJ at the 1 as things play out and Carlos gets more minutes and some from Chance if he is healthy. That said I’m very curious to how we use Donnie in this offense for the same reasons. I’d love to see some pick and roll action with Donnie if he can set a decent screen. Also that goes to that I’m curious on Eddies conditioning and can he operate more effectively in roll action in this offense.

Because of how Judah dominated the ball last year we never got to really see Reds offense so it’s still a little bit of an unknown. Playing 5 out has different looks and thus while we have some ideas in our heads we still have to see it. I honestly feel just as in the dark as last summer except for the fact we know a couple of the returning guys and we know the team will be older.

A lot of what Lampkin does will please us. Some of it won't. We're used to that. We're college basketball fans.

I think he's more a power forward than he is a center. Maybe sometimes he could play with McLeod.

Hoping Bell worked non stop on screening. His screens were awful last year. if he could utilize an effective pop screen, he could be deadly, but he has to have a solid normal screen for the defender to buy it and his normal screen was so soft.

Red’s moves the first year are inconclusive, due to injuries. I’m bullish on his changes (+\-) to date. Brown was not his roster move.

God, I can’t wait to see him push around UNC’s front court! It’s been way too long watching their bench bigs eat up our skinny starters.
Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+