Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

My son played baseball for a good D3 college in Pennsylvania and he still stays in contact with the coach. He was telling him that his players are being poached by other schools offering NIL. It’s disrupting sports on all levels.
In fact it’s worked it’s way to high schools.

“NIL at the interscholastic level has been a reality for many states for about 24 months. NIL allows high school athletes to monetize their name, image and likeness AND maintain their high school athletic eligibility.” Nov 8, 2023

No one, but from now on when someone "signed" or "committed" on IG I will interpret it as "Tentatively committed" or "somewhat committed" or even "door half closed but give me a call and make me uncommit".
The word “commit” should prolly be removed from all conversations. It’s now more like ‘Ryan Howard’ saying he will “probably… show up” at Pam and Jim’s wedding. Unless something better comes up.

States in 2023 allowing high school nil. Maybe more states have added it since then.
1a84959f-fec9-4cdd-9bcf-f82489dbc607_text.gif

States in 2023 allowing high school nil. Maybe more states have added it since then.

Different NIL than what we are talking about. HS kids in these states can get "real" NIL stuff like brand deals where they actually profit off their name, image, and likeness. The way NIL was supposed to go when they introduced it. The High school's don't have collectives so they are not being "paid to play" although some of the top guys do get money under the table.

He’s already left TCU with much fanfare and accusations and allegedly can’t return to the state of Colorado. I’m not saying he can’t be a good teammate, but does he deserve the benefit of the doubt when you add this on to it?

…and to confirm I want him back. Just not on the basis of him being a good teammate
Watch—if Lamp does end up playing for us, and we make the NCAAt, our first game is in Denver.

Different NIL than what we are talking about. HS kids in these states can get "real" NIL stuff like brand deals where they actually profit off their name, image, and likeness. The way NIL was supposed to go when they introduced it. The High school's don't have collectives so they are not being "paid to play" although some of the top guys do get money under the table.
Guarantee there are high schools with collectives. Sierra Canyon types.

Some kids parents rent apts paid by someone to live in preferred” districts. Bazely spoke about all the inducements he got in high school even before NIL. It’s now just official - it can be offered by street agents whomever.

A deeper issue in the situations with Jesse last year and now Lampkin, is that it shows other programs, agents, that commitments to SU aren't solid, and the roster is available for poaching at the right price, which we are less capable of matching.

The wolves will circle over & over again until it's proven this program can play ball at an elite level both on the court and financially.
this also opens the door for teams to sabotage other programs using portal shenanigans

for instance - lets say a player is going to Duke, just for example...

they could go to syracuse at first...commit to them ...and then at the last minute go to duke,...and leave a gaping hole in the orange roster

AS PRE_PLANNED SABOTAGE

with as crooked as this sport has become - would anyone really be surprised by such a manuever???

Guarantee there are high schools with collectives. Sierra Canyon types.
No, there are definitely not high schools with collectives LMAO. Like I said some of the top players get paid under the table to attend certain schools. Sierra Canyon isn't even very good at basketball these days.

Some kids parents rent apts paid by someone to live in preferred” districts. Bazely spoke about all the inducements he got in high school even before NIL. It’s now just official - it can be offered by street agents whomever.
Yes, the top guys get paid under the table and certain benefits like that. But thats not the reality for the vast majority of them.

A deeper issue in the situations with Jesse last year and now Lampkin, is that it shows other programs, agents, that commitments to SU aren't solid, and the roster is available for poaching at the right price, which we are less capable of matching.

The wolves will circle over & over again until it's proven this program can play ball at an elite level both on the court and financially.
this NIL wild west with no cap or regs is unsustainable and will cause many programs to collapse if left as is, imo

otherwise where does it end?

you're gonna have ncaabb players making 10 mil a season at some point???

There are plenty that are pay to play. I know on the football side it’s common.

this also opens the door for teams to sabotage other programs using portal shenanigans

for instance - lets say a player is going to Duke, just for example...

they could go to syracuse at first...commit to them ...and then at the last minute go to duke,...and leave a gaping hole in the orange roster

AS PRE_PLANNED SABOTAGE

with as crooked as this sport has become - would anyone really be surprised by such a manuever???
They should close the time for set portal commitments, not just portal entries.

I’m telling you Texas A&M and Duke will just say why go through lawyers and contracts at Syracuse when we can just cut through all that red tape and hand you the bag now then worry about what it’s later.

Without legislation there is no way in hell some of the schools will play by the rules on how you think it should work. Did you not notice that the ncaa lost every lawsuit in the last year with player and portal lawsuits. Every single one the judges ruled with the player and school trying to get exemptions. NCAA-0 wins so now they said have fun it’s Thunderdome.
it could only work if it was an ncaa thing that every school followed...not if only one school did it (obviously)

It is a lot more than that. Hopefully we have "convinced" him to stay the course with us.
is there any chance this is about winning?

I know he wants to win.

and he sees the staff passing on players and/or not sealing the deal with players...and wants out??

But what are we doing here? We’re freaking out upon potentially losing Eddie Lampkin. That says it all about where we are and what we’re staring at in terms of success.
he scored 13, 21 and 13 in his 3 NCAA tourney games last year...

seems like success to me

much better than that and he wouldnt be coming back to college he'd be going pro

They should close the time for set portal commitments, not just portal entries.
Ok let’s say we up our offer and he stays. Reaction of his teammates? And fan reaction especially when he underperforms? Savage booing? Killed on social media? What local biz wants this dude as their spokesperson? Who buys his jersey? Thought that was the whole point of NIL? Maybe his family doesn’t care once they have the bag, but if it were my kid that’s a lot to take from a human emotion view. Again maybe this new breed doesn’t care.
The clock is ticking on college sports. And there’s no exit ramp that won’t be hung up in litigation
I feel for those season ticket holders; I moved away 40 ago.

In fact it’s worked it’s way to high schools.

“NIL at the interscholastic level has been a reality for many states for about 24 months. NIL allows high school athletes to monetize their name, image and likeness AND maintain their high school athletic eligibility.” Nov 8, 2023
I saw this happen in 2001 when I was playing Hs basketball upstate. Our rival paid a kid from the Bronx just so they could beat us.

We saw a decent number of posts suggest they didn’t want Kadary because he wouldn’t “buy in”, etc

how the hell do the same posters that made those type of comments suggest that we have to keep Lampkin. What he’s doing right now is the literal definition of not buying in. He’s a hired gun.

I agree we need him for the talent aspect and the skills he has, but the “buy in” portion is complete nonsense.
Trying to maximize your nil, even if done in sort of a sheety way doesn't mean a guy won't buy into the program, coach, and team once the season begins. Similarly, if a kid is easy to work with on his nil, that also doesn't mean that he is a team guy and has bought into the program.

Ok let’s say we up our offer and he stays. Reaction of his teammates? And fan reaction especially when he underperforms? Savage booing? Killed on social media? What local biz wants this dude as their spokesperson? Who buys his jersey? Thought that was the whole point of NIL? Maybe his family doesn’t care once they have the bag, but if it were my kid that’s a lot to take from a human emotion view. Again maybe this new breed doesn’t care.
The clock is ticking on college sports. And there’s no exit ramp that won’t be hung up in litigation
I feel for those season ticket holders; I moved away 40 ago.
I am pretty sure that we don't care. We have to have a center. And any fallout, well, we will deal with that next year. Lampkin will be gone.