Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

Going up against his Pitt teams was so exhausting. I mean that grudgingly since he wiped the floor with us but also endearingly. He spoiled that fanbase until they ran him off to hire Kevin freaking Stallings because he wasn't going deep enough in the tourney.

Anyway, with the Lampkin stuff I'm at the point where I don't care for the slow drip of how the sausage is getting made (or not getting made). I'm all for guys getting their money and it's good that the PS is on top of it and that the staff is putting in effort, but I'd rather Red just give a quick statement on what's going on. YMMV.
There is absolutely nothing Red can say. Nothing. If they kid is here, that will it all. If it falls apart, God forbid, then he can say something.

There is absolutely nothing Red can say. Nothing. If the kid is here, that will it all. If it falls apart, God forbid, then he can say something.

So I know the comments were it’s good to get him on campus - not with such open ended connotations but hopefully it’s a matter of closing it out and things getting locked in.

Going up against his Pitt teams was so exhausting. I mean that grudgingly since he wiped the floor with us but also endearingly. He spoiled that fanbase until they ran him off to hire Kevin freaking Stallings because he wasn't going deep enough in the tourney.

Anyway, with the Lampkin stuff I'm at the point where I don't care for the slow drip of how the sausage is getting made (or not getting made). I'm all for guys getting their money and it's good that the PS is on top of it and that the staff is putting in effort, but I'd rather Red just give a quick statement on what's going on. YMMV.
The Kevin Stallings era ended far too soon.

Pitt really should have given that cake more time to bake.

Are Buddy Buzz Williams at AM
Their fans believe they already have their center transfer, Pharrell Payne, from Minnesota. He does have 2 years left though and Buzz who never learned to stay in his lane and off the court during games, probably wants more depth. What’s strange is that not one fan even mentioned Eddie as a wanted transfer portal addition on their message board. Maybe Buzz doesn’t want Payne to know and bolt. They have another center they redshirted last year too that they thought would contribute this year.

Eddie, kiss me goodnight.
Topo Gigio Vintage GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

I haven’t been totally keeping up with this thread but the thought is that A&M is the SEC school that’s supposedly tampering & not Vandy? Wasn’t it mentioned earlier that Vandy has substantial NIL to spend & that one of Lampkins’ former assistant coaches at CU is now there?

I mean, can’t fault Buzz or A&M here. This is like a verbal commit. There is literally nothing binding Lampkin to Syracuse at this point. Can’t sign a contract and not enrolled in school.

I honestly can’t fault A&M for pressing for their guy, it’s all within the rules.

My frustration is with Lampkin. He is the one that is allowing this to happen and causing the drama. He hasn’t told A&M no or shut any of this down.

I haven’t been totally keeping up with this thread but the thought is that A&M is the SEC school that’s supposedly tampering & not Vandy? Wasn’t it mentioned earlier that Vandy has substantial NIL to spend & that one of Lampkins’ former assistant coaches at CU is now there?
Tampering occurs when someone is enrolled and is on scholarship. This isn’t tampering as Lampkin has essentially only verbally committed.

Translation: aTm counter-counter-counter offered.
“shore up”. So what happens that this meeting? It can’t be money talk with Red in the room. And it can’t be a very long discussion with the handlers and the NIL reps. We either have it or we don’t. I get Red is desperate but Being held hostage by a dude on his third team not a great look for the program.

Tampering occurs when someone is enrolled and is on scholarship. This isn’t tampering as Lampkin has essentially only verbally committed.
You’re right. Poor choice of words on my part. Still, are we sure it’s Buzz & A&M reaching out & not Vandy? I recall an insider claiming it was an SEC school.

I’m worried about playing a team like Lousiville. How are we going to matchup up Pryor and Waterman. Donnie will guard Pryor but I don’t think Lampkin is nimble to quads either on the perimeter. Might be a zone game
How will they match up against us??

I mean, can’t fault Buzz or A&M here. This is like a verbal commit. There is literally nothing binding Lampkin to Syracuse at this point. Can’t sign a contract and not enrolled in school.

I honestly can’t fault A&M for pressing for their guy, it’s all within the rules.

My frustration is with Lampkin. He is the one that is allowing this to happen and causing the drama. He hasn’t told A&M no or shut any of this down.
I have an issue blaming a 22 year old more for the situation than a 50+ year old multi millionaire coach ($4 million/yr) who overlooked the 22 year old for well over a month until the portal was closed to pursue him. Lampkin obviously wasn’t his preference until after the portal closed, thus having lost his preferred options, is now engaging in a bidding war to lure him from his commitment (regardless if it’s considered verbal). It may be legal now, in fact what isn’t -but ethical - hardly. If I was in the coaching profession, I wouldn’t forget the coaches who engaged in these tactics. I agree that it would be great if Lampkin shut it down but when you have coaches engaging in these tactics, setting the example, I guess it’s too much to think a 20 something player would refuse to play their game that he could benefit and make more $ from. Just sad and how screwed up college athletics has become. Just my opinion.

Didn't he have trouble at his last two spots? Didn't we kick 1 guy off the team and told another 2 to leave and don't look back? What are we getting into here? Going in with McLeod as our best backup has me even more worried than before.
Well last year he was coming in as our starter so...

This is why people say college basketball is now like the Wild West. You said Buzz and A&M are within the rules. There are no rules. That doesn’t mean you should be unprincipled. Not everyone needs rules in order to act like a professional.

Eddie Lampkin. Hmmmm. So he's like a center? You guys know anything about him?

Just positioning myself to be the #2000th post.

I have an issue blaming a 22 year old more for the situation than a 50+ year old multi millionaire coach ($4 million/yr) who overlooked the 22 year old for well over a month until the portal was closed to pursue him. Lampkin obviously wasn’t his preference until after the portal closed, thus having lost his preferred options, is now engaging in a bidding war to lure him from his commitment (regardless if it’s considered verbal). It may be legal now, in fact what isn’t -but ethical - hardly. If I was in the coaching profession, I wouldn’t forget the coaches who engaged in these tactics. I agree that it would be great if Lampkin shut it down but when you have coaches engaging in these tactics, setting the example, I guess it’s too much to think a 20 something player would refuse to play their game that he could benefit and make more $ from. Just sad and how screwed up college athletics has become. Just my opinion.
This is pretty funny considering that Fran Brown has built our football team doing exactly this in the portal. He is sniping players everywhere.

Just read an article this morning about Cuse still hunting a LB that is verbally committed to Tennessee right now.

Basketball just amplifies the pain and of losing a player because only 5 are on the court at what time.

Eddie Lampkin. Hmmmm. So he's like a center? You guys know anything about him?

Just positioning myself to be the #2000th post.
So today is Thursday and presumably Eddie Lampkin day in CNY. Do we have all our sentries posted in the usual locations: The airport, the Melo center, Destiny USA, Dinosaur BBQ (heard he's a big eater). Someone monitoring the Flight Aware website.

We out of towners expect regular updates throughout the day. All the locals need to step away from their computers and play Jimmy Olsen or possibly Woodward and Bernstein for the day. Do not disappoint us.

The guy should be easy to spot. 6'11". 265 lbs. Only guy his height over 210 pounds.

Better be careful with A&M. Two years ago their football recruiting haul spent $30 million in NIL. Many of the players never got paid. Lampkin better get his money up front.

There is so much to digest in this post.

you have an issue blaming a 22 year old? At that age, he can serve his country, live on his own, buy alcohol, make hundreds of thousands of dollars in college basketball with Nil, and sign a multi million dollar contract in a professional sport if he is good enough. At what point do we start placing blame on a person?

The coach is trying to put together the best roster he can. Maybe redirect the blame at the NCAA that they don't allow contracts to be signed or some type of Letter of intent. No player is off limits until they enroll at a college when they transfer. Its the rules you should be mad at, not a coach trying to get a player that is not off limits.

The portal only closes to enter. The portal never closes for acquiring players. Players only come out of the portal once they are enrolled in classes. Otherwise, every player continues to be available to sign until that point.

How is this ethically different than a player giving us a verbal commit, to then decomit and sign with another program? Is that also unethical? That happens thousands of times a year in college recruiting. How is that any different than this situation? Is that ethically wrong to flip a recruit that has verbally committed to another program? Because if that is unethical, then Syracuse is unethical because we have flipped many players in both sports. We don't stop recruiting players just because they verbally commit somewhere.

As another poster posted above, Fran Brown is literally doing the same exact thing. So what are your thoughts on Fran Brown? In addition, it was reported earlier this winter that Fran actively tampered with a Pitt player to get him into the Portal. That is an actual violation, albeit one that is not policed by the NCAA. But a much worse practice then the one you are mad at Buzz Wiliams for.

So again, it's not unethical or against any rules. But, if you still see it as unethical after everything I pointed out, Im not sure how you can get mad when we do the same exact thing?