Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

“shore up”. So what happens that this meeting? It can’t be money talk with Red in the room. And it can’t be a very long discussion with the handlers and the NIL reps. We either have it or we don’t. I get Red is desperate but Being held hostage by a dude on his third team not a great look for the program.

Oh yes it can. What the hell else would "shore up" mean, if not give me more money?

Think I'm well down the path of not caring about college sports moving forward in life. I don't know how anyone can care even remotely close to how we did 5-10 years ago. Every player being a free agent every year takes away the whole enjoyment of it. Used to love watching a freshman come in and show glimpses of what they could develop into while only getting maybe 5-10 mins a game or coming in during blowouts. Would give you something to look forward to for the next few years. Now almost everything is fear based and it just sucks. We all used to lose our minds about one and done guys being bad for the sport and that was about 20 guys spread throughout the whole country with half of them being at 2 schools.

Yeah, if we lose this guy and can't get any replacements this late, this season could turn to trash.
We're already thin up front.

If this roster (and season) turn to garbage because of how this pay for players era works, I just can't care any more.

Well, Brown is continuing to contact a couple of football recruits who have verb committed to other schools. Is that ok?
Transfers or HS players? Is the portal open or closed for college football?

There is no reason to make the trip to Syracuse from Texas if there is not an expectation of moving forward with an agreement in principle. At this point I'm sure the staff understands its summer session number 1, the portal is closed, enroll and the money is yours Eddie. This seems to me like a finalization of whatever new agreement was made.
Way too rational IMO.

Yeah, that was me - back when we seemed to have 4 guys in the fold who look like solid players with a couple open spots left to fill.

A month later, and all we have to show for our pursuit of Leffew is having his coach on staff, but not the player. And still no replacement, I guess.

And his coach is such a great recruiter that he helped us get ... <checking my notes> NOBODY ELSE.

And now the fat guy is playing us for another raise, when his last raise appear to have tapped out our resources to leave us with insufficient money for anyone else.
Don't worry about Engelstads recruiting, his wife is out of his league.

Yeah, if we lose this guy and can't get any replacements this late, this season could turn to trash.
We're already thin up front.

If this roster (and season) turn to garbage because of how this pay for players era works, I just can't care any more.
The elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge. Maybe Red is in over his head in terms of the portal, roster management, assistant coaching hires.

Look over to the football side. Less history for the program, lack of program success over the past 20 years and Fran has revolutionized the recruiting and hiring of assistants.

It’s not just one thing. Fran has assembled an amazing cast of coaches, got support from NIL (no way are we top 30 in college football NIL) but he has been able to grab top notch transfers and high school recruits.

I just feel as if everyone is bending over backwards to blame everything else except Red. Maybe he will learn from this but I think the assistant coaching hiring for basketball have been extremely questionable, transfer portal plus/minus has been a net negative, and the available NIL funds are apparently lacking.

Looking from the outside it doesn’t make a ton of sense that the basketball program that is one of the best in the country is so hamstrung by all of these issues, meanwhile Football is thriving with all these hires, portal transfers, and recruits. Seems like Fran is doing more with less than what Red is doing.

Edit: I also find it fascinating we wouldn’t partake in this stuff with Jessie Edwards who is a better player and had a history with Syracuse but Eddie Lampkin. So who the heck knows what’s going on.

There is no reason to make the trip to Syracuse from Texas if there is not an expectation of moving forward with an agreement in principle. At this point I'm sure the staff understands its summer session number 1, the portal is closed, enroll and the money is yours Eddie. This seems to me like a finalization of whatever new agreement was made.
Even if we get this kid he isn't exactly endearing himself to the fanbase.

The elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge. Maybe Red is in over his head in terms of the portal, roster management, assistant coaching hires.

Look over to the football side. Less history for the program, lack of program success over the past 20 years and Fran has revolutionized the recruiting and hiring of assistants.

It’s not just one thing. Fran has assembled an amazing cast of coaches, got support from NIL (no way are we top 30 in college football NIL) but he has been able to grab top notch transfers and high school recruits.

I just feel as if everyone is bending over backwards to blame everything else except Red. Maybe he will learn from this but I think the assistant coaching hiring for basketball have been extremely questionable, transfer portal plus/minus has been a net negative, and the available NIL funds are apparently lacking.

Looking from the outside it doesn’t make a ton of sense that the basketball program that is one of the best in the country is so hamstrung by all of these issues, meanwhile Football is thriving with all these hires, portal transfers, and recruits. Seems like Fran is doing more with less than what Red is doing.

Edit: I also find it fascinating we wouldn’t partake in this stuff with Jessie Edwards who is a better player and had a history with Syracuse but Eddie Lampkin. So who the heck knows what’s going on.
-For every basketball player there is 10 football players, Fran got McCord and Diggs (relationship), Red got JJ who was top 5 in portal (relationship)
-Red has shaken up the coaching staff too, once again just less spots
-You cant say Fran is doing more with less when he hasnt coached a game, Red won 20 games with an awful misfit roster which is actually doing more with less
-They were in a bidding war with Jesse, you can only raise your offer so many times.

Even if we get this kid he isn't exactly endearing himself to the fanbase.

It's like paying all your salary cap money for 1 guy, and you have no money left to build the rest of the team you need. If that one guy isn't LeBron James, you're kind of screwed. That's how it's looking right now.

He doesn't need to come to SU to ask for more money.

He could have already enrolled by now for summer session, right?
Why else schedule an "official visit" now?

He could have already enrolled by now for summer session, right?
Why else schedule an "official visit" now?

-Yes he absolutely could have enrolled already and has not.
-A new higher amount NIL deal has been negotiated, that is something we know.
-If he wants to negotiate even more money he doesn't need to come to SU to do that. If he wants to enroll he does have to get to campus.

I'm reading the situation as coming to sign the new NIL deal and enroll. I could be be wrong, its just my 2 cents.

-For every basketball player there is 10 football players, Fran got McCord and Diggs (relationship), Red got JJ who was top 5 in portal (relationship)
-Red has shaken up the coaching staff too, once again just less spots
-You cant say Fran is doing more with less when he hasnt coached a game, Red won 20 games with an awful misfit roster which is actually doing more with less
-They were in a bidding war with Jesse, you can only raise your offer so many times.
1- we got more than just Diggs and McCord. And Football NIL has a much bigger value to pull money from. Again, I doubt we crack the top 30 in NIL funds.

2- college football is allowed 10 coaches for 85 players. Average of 8.5 players per coach.

College basketball is allowed 6 coaches for 15 players. Average of 2.5 players per coach.

3- how did he shake up the assistant coaches? He replaced himself and then Gerry got a promotion? That’s shaking it up? He kept the status Que. we kept the band together after the least successful 10 year stretch in basketball history.

4- I’m not talking about in game coaching. Hence I didn’t mention it in my post. I don’t love everything he does, but that has nothing to do with the point I’m making about roster construction, recruiting assistant coaches, and the players he targets in the transfer portal. That was the point of my post.

5- are we not in a bidding war right now with Texas A&M? Was it not reported that we had to increase our offer? And now we need another face to face meeting? So a possible 3rd negotiation?

Age old questions you're asking. No way to know for sure until we see wins on the scoreboard next year. If we're not tourney bound then we prob won't be talking about these coaches much longer.

Luckily it's not about who has the best portal season. Louisville and WVU have the best Portal classes in the league right now and I dont' want to ever be like them. Going by the rating sites right now would it surprise you that we have a better Portal class rating than Duke because we do? Duke obvi has a better HS recruiting class coming in but our recruits are no slouches.

Age old questions you're asking. No way to know for sure until we see wins on the scoreboard next year. If we're not tourney bound then we prob won't be talking about these coaches much longer.

Luckily it's not about who has the best portal season. Louisville and WVU have the best Portal classes in the league right now and I dont' want to ever be like them. Going by the rating sites right now would it surprise you that we have a better Portal class rating than Duke because we do? Duke obvi has a better HS recruiting class coming in but our recruits are no slouches.
Letting it play out is the only way we will ever truly know. But I think the truth always lies somewhere in the middle and it seems like a lot of people are bending over backwards to blame everything else.

For the Duke part, no idea what rankings you’re using but it’s not even close per 247. They have the #1 recruit coming in and the #1 recruiting class. They have 4 guys coming in that are ranked higher than Freeman. They have the 19th ranked transfer class and the #1 composite class. They stole our best player (yes I know freeman is playing his position).

247 has our recruiting class ranked 26, transfer class 56, and our composite 31. So not even remotely close to Dukes ranking. Imagine if we lose Lampkin, we will drop even further.

So today is Thursday and presumably Eddie Lampkin day in CNY. Do we have all our sentries posted in the usual locations: The airport, the Melo center, Destiny USA, Dinosaur BBQ (heard he's a big eater). Someone monitoring the Flight Aware website.

We out of towners expect regular updates throughout the day. All the locals need to step away from their computers and play Jimmy Olsen or possibly Woodward and Bernstein for the day. Do not disappoint us.

The guy should be easy to spot. 6'11". 265 lbs. Only guy his height over 210 pounds.
If he's 265 then I'm 210.

Oh yes it can. What the hell else would "shore up" mean, if not give me more money?
Do we know if those are the reporters words or Eddie’s?
It could also be that parameters and options were discussed and need to be agreed to. He’s here. If it was anything major, the discussions would be on the phone or with his NIL agent.

I’ll say it again: Lampkin is more important to Red than he is to Orange. We’re not winning anything major with him and he’s not a program-altering addition. All he’s going to do is get us enough wins to keep Red away from the hot seat.

Letting it play out is the only way we will ever truly know. But I think the truth always lies somewhere in the middle and it seems like a lot of people are bending over backwards to blame everything else.

For the Duke part, no idea what rankings you’re using but it’s not even close per 247. They have the #1 recruit coming in and the #1 recruiting class. They have 4 guys coming in that are ranked higher than Freeman. They have the 19th ranked transfer class and the #1 composite class. They stole our best player (yes I know freeman is playing his position).

247 has our recruiting class ranked 26, transfer class 56, and our composite 31. So not even remotely close to Dukes ranking. Imagine if we lose Lampkin, we will drop even further.
Is that a meaningful comparison, though? A lot of those teams are recruiting just about full teams. Of course those would be ranked higher than teams returning multiple starters/contributors.

You proved my point. It’s not all about the portal. Duke has a bad portal class because they have a whole 5 star HS class coming in.

Ppl wanna complain about the portal but then ignore that we are 1 of only 4 acc teams that have a 5 star player coming in too. Once the dust settles let’s see where the entirety of the class ranks and what the results are

An disgrace. He’s not Zach Edey. Not even Jessie. Do his handlers care how he’s perceived? Who would wear this fat dudes jersey?

Ok so the anti Red and anti Eddie circle yank party is getting old. I get the criticism but the horse has turned to dust. Hopefully we have 5 guys who can play basketball and win a game this year….

It’s a key year and Red knows it. We’re gonna find out a lot this year. The pre conceived doom and gloom is beyond past its expiration date and I’m no optimist. I expect things get resolved this weekend, we add another kid or two and we have a team that either surprises everyone or begins the seat warming for Red.

-Yes he absolutely could have enrolled already and has not.
-A new higher amount NIL deal has been negotiated, that is something we know.
-If he wants to negotiate even more money he doesn't need to come to SU to do that. If he wants to enroll he does have to get to campus.

I'm reading the situation as coming to sign the new NIL deal and enroll. I could be be wrong, its just my 2 cents.
Same. I think he has come with his bags packed, and the intention to stay. Also there are other terms to the NIL payment besides the amount. He might just be getting those confirmed. When payments are made, what does he need to do in return etc. Is it in Bitcoin, Gold bars or hard cash?