Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 91 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

I’m still not sure what you mean.

the team you listed isn’t top 10. Bell and JJ are mid players at best.

Donnie hasn’t done anything on a D1 court.

This is my point — how many years do we need to go through the same exercise with inferior talent of waiting and seeing?

We are average or below average at every position as of now in our starting lineup barring Donnie blowing up or Chance killing it out of nowhere.

We have been mired in mediocrity for years. UConn is out here winning titles and going to put 3-5 players in the league in this draft alone.

I’m not trying to be obstinate with you, I enjoy your posts, but I’m done accepting where we are, even before the season.
Stop yelling at us and go talk to Wildhack and the long retired, even if officially only one-year, Boeheim

Deans stuff is good on Eddie not to spoil it. Worth the listen. What’s funny is that it puts it out there in the open but Eddies demands are more the norm you see with this stuff than not. I look forward to when the NCAA is completely toothless and more guys talk openly about some of this stuff.

I’ve noted before I work with a guy who was an ACC guard back in the 80s. The stories of the stuff guys would demand and ask for is hilarious honestly. He follows the Cuse stuff a lot since we talk all the time and knows many of our former players being a DC guy ( not a Hoya).

We have the luxury of a community that is much bigger and more plugged in than a lot of other programs so we don’t necessarily read or hear about all the different demands etc other portal guys put out there today. Game hasn’t changed just more people can play it now.
I listen, but wish he shorten the pods. I get lost after a while. I did listen to some of this.

To me it’s time to become a bit more numb to all of this. If he works hard, balls out and is a good teammate then the money stuff is whatever. We were all salivating over Kadary coming back and he wanted a mid year deal negotiation at Seton Hall and probably would have cost us the kind of money that sent Eddie to A and M..
What were the details on the kadary NIL thing with Kadary? I missed that

I mean to be fair a top 15 freshman is a what if for any team is it not? But you recruit that level expecting they are what you think they are.

I’d argue that’s a top 10 team if you are also adding the kind of depth folks expect behind them. It was just an example pick your top portal guys that are expensive and name them instead. My point is the amount of money it takes is money not a lot of schools have so you have to find the right way to put the expensive pieces together from the portal with HS players and make it work. It took Hurley 3 years to right that ship. We are in year 2. We won’t be defensive juggernaut. We will be better offensively. We will be possibly better defensively if Chance and McLeod are healthy as options.

We overpaid for Eddie hands down but we had to and we would have had to plus more to get elite players at both key positions - and maybe then we can’t pay the returning guys.

If we won 23 games last year ( should have given some of the mental lapses) and made the tourney the perspective would be different. Our past has eliminated patience but we haven’t tanked under Red yet. We do have all the pieces to have a team that does what you want a winning team to do- can they execute and can our returning guys improve just as we have always leaned on for good years and bad years.

I expect the same level of top 5 seed as you- but it’s going to be a different formula for SU than it is other programs and we know Red is trying to find that right mix.

None of us know if this team is a tourney team , bubble team or bottom dweller.
Top freshman wont have the impact they used to. You have hundreds of players who are better than freshman coming from midmajors who are just ready to play. I'm not saying Freeman wont be good because I think he will be, but depending on freshman and expecting impacts like freshman used to have will end coaching careers.

Dasher before Lampkin fiasco: “We’re bringing in another guard and another forward. Names you will recognize.”

Dasher after the Lampkin fiasco: “Yeah, that’s out the window now.”
I’ll let Dasher defend himself, but you’re confused and conflating two different things. When he said we would bring in two players, “names that we will recognize,” he was talking about high school players in the 2025 class that the coaches have been recruiting heavily and are in a good position to land. He wasn’t talking about portal transfers for next year. However, I believe he did say he expected us to add another transfer or two from the portal after we whiffed on Leffew.

Last edited:
That sort of rationalization is fine, however it doesn’t address my point. Expectations were set before the Lampkin fiasco. Now we’re changing course and blaming Lampkin. That doesn’t make sense, though, because a donor stepped up to take care of Lampkin. So that entire ordeal should have no bearing on our existing plans.

This is what I mean by copium. We’re just making excuses for everything that has gone wrong, as if they’re not real issues.

Maliq Brown bails and now we’re pretending he’s not a big loss?

Leffew spurns us and now we’re pretending Plan B (Carlos) is better than or just as good as Plan A? (Who is backing up Carlos, BTW?)

Scapegoating Lampkin because negotiations with other players fell through and/or we don’t have as much NIL as we thought?

This offseason had the potential for an A grade. That required Red threading a needle, though. We’ve been depending on threading needles for years and it’s not working.
Business As Usual Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’ll let Dasher defend himself, but you’re confused and conflating two different things. When he said we would bring in two players, “names that we will recognize,” he was talking about high school players in the 2025 class that the coaches been recruiting heavily and are in a good position to land. He wasn’t talking about portal transfers for next year. However, I believe he did say he expected us to add another transfer or two from the portal after we whiffed on Leffew.
He also said exactly what Day2 specifically about the portal.

Someone in Vegas is paying every WNBA aces player on the team 100,000 dollars for name image and likeness sponsorships. Navigating the WNBA Salary cap. The average WNBA salary is 102,000 dollars. So everyone on the aces is getting an additional 100,000 dollars more than any other team.

The point, paying players for NIL is not going away even when the colleges start paying players. NIL can be used in every sport. I assume that it doesn’t occur in most professional settings because the top players are already signing massive deals and NIL money would be so irrelevant. That’s not the case in college, even when the teams start paying players. If not the top players, the medium and lower end players will get more NIL to ensure that player goes to that school.
There may be some type of NIL deal with jersey sales.

If we end up in another disappointing season then the clock starts ticking on Red. We’ve been conditioned to expect disappointment and failure and it comes out in every single post anymore. We just need to see better results plain and simple. The formula that gets us there no one really knows yet but Red has to make that call.
south park beat a dead horse GIF

What age is too young or too old to value money or your value in any given marketplace?
It’s not his age, it’s how his activities impact someone’s favorite team. If someone “decommitted” from Duke or UConn, the same folks would be lauding the free market.

He also said exactly what Day2 specifically about the portal.
Wrong as usual. I was talking about high school kids. I did say that we would bring in two portal guys. But the names that we would all know were high school kids. As a matter of fact, one poster named them after I wrote that. He emailed me and took that post down. But it doesn't surprise me in the least that both you and Day would be confused.

I’ll let Dasher defend himself, but you’re confused and conflating two different things. When he said we would bring in two players, “names that we will recognize,” he was talking about high school players in the 2025 class that the coaches been recruiting heavily and are in a good position to land. He wasn’t talking about portal transfers for next year. However, I believe he did say he expected us to add another transfer or two from the portal after we whiffed on Leffew.
Thanks but don't waste your time. There is a reason I have those two on ignore.

Wrong as usual. I was talking about high school kids. I did say that we would bring in two portal guys. But the names that we would all know were high school kids. As a matter of fact, one poster named them after I wrote that. He emailed me and took that post down. But it doesn't surprise me in the least that both you and Day would be confused.
My bad. Must've misread or combined a couple of things I read.

No need to be a jerk about it.

Where did you get that from?

BTW, the guy who had the air purifier company is partners with Weitsman in his sushi restaurant AND a big collective guy tight with the hoops program
I knew that. I thought his son ran No Destination.

You are right. I was just coming back to delete that. It just seemed that a couple of guys were taking a shot at the info I provided.
Know you don't like me but would never take a shot at your or your info Dash.

Yeah, the part about the names was conflated. Everything else was as I described: