Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how things work out after Ballard chose FSU and a lot of folks (myself included) thought the sky was falling. I liked Frank's reasons, HOF Coach, facilities, conference etc. Logical reasons.
Hope this is a sign the staff has their mojo back and can back to being a top 10 program

I think the hard pursuit of another center in this class is further evidence that Syracuse recognizes a fundamental change has taken place in college basketball.

Players are rarely going to be willing to sit for a couple of years to get a chance to play. There are going to be transfers every season. Covid driven transfer wait waivers and the coming changes to transfer rules allowing players to be eligible immediately are just accelerating a trend that has already started.

Gone are the days when you could get away with having 9 or 10 scholarship players on your roster. I think Syracuse is going to try and fill their roster with scholarship players every season now, so they have some protection when the inevitable transfers happen.

This will of course ensure more players transfer, as JB is never going to play all 13 players.

Players who are willing to redshirt become a lot more valuable now.

If you want to play right away and aren't a top 50 talent, you might end up with limited options. I think that is ultimately what happened with Frank.

Glad JB and the staff are making adjustments to their recruiting strategies.

I hope the players, not just at Syracuse but everywhere, are able to put aside the need for instant gratification and be patient enough to wait their turn to play. Playing time shouldn't be the only consideration when deciding where to go to school. I am glad players have the freedom to move if necessary though.

Awesome post! This couldn't be more accurate.

I think you also have to look at it from the athletes side of it. They know they might transfer. Your stock is a lot higher when you are an Alabama football transfer or Syracuse basketball. Best case scenario which these guys expect to happen is first day of practice you are the best at your position and you beat guys out for minutes and play right away. Worst case scenario is you hit the portal as a Syracuse transfer.

Either Edwards redshirts or a player is transferring. JB will not have 4 big men on the active roster. They are also still pursuing Ettitene for next year. Something will give.

If Edwards redshirts then we will have 3 centers in the same class. I don't see that happening. I think we can count on one transfer.
If we want to win we can't think of players in 4 year terms anymore, basically we will have 2 year and 4 year players, of course some will be one and done or 3 years players, but ideally 2 years and 4 years works best for the program. For example Anselem reclassified so being 2 years is the same as staying in High School another year and being a one and done. The only question is where does a player thinks they are going to develop faster.

Players are going to be headed to the G-league in record numbers straight from High School and early from college. This is because the games are diverging from each other more and more each year, because developing a player for the NBA and winning now in College Basketball are no longer the same thing.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea, how bad this post is?
I also disagree with his take, but I don't see the need to shame the poster. It's not that hard. Don't make it personal.

One thing that this spring has clearly demonstrated is that rosters will be "unsettled" right up until prospects report for summer ball prior to enrolling.

Two months ago, we had three players entering the transfer portal and our best player had just graduated. We didn't know whether Braswell would stay or leave. Depth seemed like a big issue for next year.

With so many players transferring, the "new" fifth year senior transfer rule, reclassification, etc. things are going to be more fluid than ever before.

Major, major kudos to our staff for adding Griffin / Anselem at this late stage. Terrific work by the staff to add two big time talents that weren't on the majority of this board's radar back when things seemed bleaker.

There were a bunch of people wringing their hands over us losing Quincy Ballard -- Anselem is a much better "get."

1atlantasfrankSDbv9q4icPH.gif

I think the minutes aren't going to be there for him. And if he doesn't redshirt I think hes at a disadvantage 21-22 if he only has 2 more years left and Ajok has 3 and Anselem has 3/4.

Its nice to get another guy in the mix when Marek and Sid leave.

He may not get much time in big games, but there should be enough for him against the cupcakes to give him the game action he needs to get more acclimated with big time ball. It’s not a given that he doesn’t get much time either. I don’t see why he doesn’t have as good a shot as any to end up being the backup to Sid.

If Bulldog is right, which I tend to think he is, Frank will be the one with limited action this year. Though I don’t think that’s as set in stone as he says, since he could earn time if he shows in practice that he’s the best man for the job. But, Jesse does have a year in the program over him, and theoretically is in the better position for getting minutes over Frank. And JBA is still a question mark, yet many seem to be penciling him in ahead of Jesse automatically. It’s great that he added some weight, and seems
to have gotten stronger, but I’m not sure what puts him ahead of Jesse right off the bat.

We’ll see what happens, but I’d put my money on Jesse playing this season. I just don’t think redshirting will be as beneficial as some believe for him, and it could just keep him further buried down the depth chart, so an extra year won’t mean much.

I agree Dasher but Frank has a pretty high upside. However Towns and Tape would help more in 20-21.

We can hope Jim is building a team like Nova has the past decade.

Most excited about SU Hoops since probation

I read that too quickly and thought you wrote "prohibition". I was going to say, "Mark, we've had a decent team or two in the last century!'

Last edited:
Danny was a huge surprise. The guy played 17 seasons in the NBA. He graduated HS a year early too. He wasn't super coordinated in HS at Jamesville-Dewitt. Realistically he was probably a recruit for LeMoyne vice SU but he was smart and did several things really well (boxing out, shooting free throws and being a coach on the floor)

JD's band teacher Ron Nuzzo refers to Danny as "The world's tallest trombone player."

I’ve read that a few times and surprised me. Not that it couldn’t be true just wasn’t expecting. You think he immediately jumps edwards and ajak?
I do, simply because he's the better defender and most suitable of the 3 for the back of the zone for that reason. We already have 4 offensive threats., and we need a rim protector...something we severely missed last year.

He may not get much time in big games, but there should be enough for him against the cupcakes to give him the game action he needs to get more acclimated with big time ball. It’s not a given that he doesn’t get much time either. I don’t see why he doesn’t have as good a shot as any to end up being the backup to Sid.

If Bulldog is right, which I tend to think he is, Frank will be the one with limited action this year. Though I don’t think that’s as set in stone as he says, since he could earn time if he shows in practice that he’s the best man for the job. But, Jesse does have a year in the program over him, and theoretically is in the better position for getting minutes over Frank. And JBA is still a question mark, yet many seem to be penciling him in ahead of Jesse automatically. It’s great that he added some weight, and seems
to have gotten stronger, but I’m not sure what puts him ahead of Jesse right off the bat.

We’ll see what happens, but I’d put my money on Jesse playing this season. I just don’t think redshirting will be as beneficial as some believe for him, and it could just keep him further buried down the depth chart, so an extra year won’t mean much.
I think Jesse will make a bigger leap than Quincy, just because he will get stronger, and that will allow him to do things he could not do last year. Q really just needs to refine parts of his game, (better 3 point shooting, for instance) so his growth will be much more incremental than Jesse's. I am very bullish on Jesse. He does the things that can be taught, like keeping the ball above his head on rebounds.

Hey I might have missed it but did you issue an apology to the staff for your comments regarding recruiting
Why would I? Up until this point, they really haven't done much, especially at the Center spot, but I am super happy with this pickup. He fell into our laps as a reclassification. Had he stayed in the 2021 class, there is no guarantee we would get him. 5 four stars on the roster and the rest 3 stars is hardly a lot to brag about. That's unacceptable for Syracuse basketball standards. We should have 4 stars from top to bottom with a few 3 stars, but we have more 3 stars.

Why would I? Up until this point, they really haven't done much, especially at the Center spot, but I am super happy with this pickup. He fell into our laps as a reclassification. Had he stayed in the 2021 class, there is no guarantee we would get him. 5 four stars on the roster and the rest 3 stars is hardly a lot to brag about. That's unacceptable for Syracuse basketball standards. We should have 4 stars from top to bottom with a few 3 stars, but we have more 3 stars.
This team accepts that challenge. The value of stars. Riley was a 4 star, Triche a 3 star.

I think Jesse will make a bigger leap than Quincy, just because he will get stronger, and that will allow him to do things he could not do last year. Q really just needs to refine parts of his game, (better 3 point shooting, for instance) so his growth will be much more incremental than Jesse's. I am very bullish on Jesse. He does the things that can be taught, like keeping the ball above his head on rebounds.

I’m not quite that high on him, but I’m with you for the most part. Though, I’m so high on QG that no one else is gonna take the leap I have him taking in my head. To me, all Jesse really needs to do to be ready for a backup role is to get mentally prepared for it. When he first came into the game at Clemson late, he looked like he just discovered the game of basketball. Which isn’t surprising, or a slight at him, since it’s to be expected for a freshman that rarely saw the floor coming into the game, and didn’t have a defined role yet. Oh yeah, and he didn’t actually discover the game until he was 13, so there’s that too.

It’s just gonna take time. Your guess is as good as mine on when it comes together, but you could be right, and it very well may be this upcoming season. It’s tough to say with a kid that has only been seriously training to be a D1 basketball player since he was 16, four years ago. He’s probably a 4 year kid, so being here for 5 isn’t that crazy, but with the way of the basketball world today, it would almost shock me if he were to redshirt. Sitting on the bench for a year, and focusing on his body isn’t going to do nearly as much for him mentally as game experience will. I could be wrong, but unless JB wants to keep the Marek center experiment alive, then Jesse is the only other big outside of Sid that has played college basketball. And I’ll just say again that I don’t see any of them becoming a 4. If JB doesn’t trust any of the 3, then we may see Marek again when Sid needs to come out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors