Class of 2021 - C Mac Etienne (CT/Brewster) Offered | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 C Mac Etienne (CT/Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff. Have felt he ends up somewhere else where he can step right in, and be BMOC, but this gives me more hope. Appreciate the info.

Love Denzel. And love him even more when he says "my man."

I find that article encouraging...Frank can play the four also can’t he?

Btw I don’t want to get too crazy but Louisville and kansas will get pounded by the NCAA. Why would he want to be a part of that? Just saying it can’t be just about playing time but also actual expose to the NCAA which seems to be Kansas could be on the outside looking in

takeaways from this:
1. We are still in this (not in the Bonner/Cal sense) and are spending time prioritizing him with FaceTime, zoom etc. with gmac the lead and JB involved
2. kid is about guaranteed playing time and the addition of Frank gave him pause. He doesn’t want to go to a place and then have to enter the transfer portal if he doesn’t play enough. Interesting that his coach would admit that A kid with that high a profile Would be worried about the transfer portal.
3. Dior and Benny are indeed helping
Andre Jackson said the exact same thing - then Hurley promised him the world

Andre Jackson said the exact same thing - then Hurley promised him the world

What’s ironic about the Jackson comparison is he would of had a ton of playing time had he committed to us and we went out and got another forward anyways in Griffin

What’s ironic about the Jackson comparison is he would of had a ton of playing time had he committed to us and we went out and got another forward anyways in Griffin
I posted this a few months ago in the Kadary thread, explaining how when Andre committed, UConn had a Lot more PT available than us...but after 7 months that essentially flipped, and we would have had thr PT ( this post was before UConn got Sanogo too...another guy who could play the 4)

When he committed to UConn, the season hadn’t even started yet. So we had a feeling Eli would be good and get all the minutes at the 3, but no one knew hed be leaving. We had Joe, Buddy, Jalen and a top 75 kid in Goodine who were all under class men. To anyone think Andre looked at that roster and thought “I’ll get plenty of PT” is lying.

When he committed to UConn, at the 1-3s they had:

-a PG transfer from Howard
-2 freshman ranked right around were Goodine was
-and Tyler Polley, who up until that point had done nothing of note at the college level.
-They had Christian Vital, who was getting a load of minutes but was also a senior and would be gone. They also had Gilbert, but as strictly a PG he wouldn’t effect Andre that much.

So if you’re Andre when you commit in October, looking ahead to 2020:

- UConn has 3 PGs possibly on the roster (Gilbert, Evans, Gaffney) but that’s fine, it’s unlikely due to size those 3 play together very often
- A departing Vital, who would leave over 30mpg+ on the table
- Bouknight, who is ranked near Jackson as a sophomore
- Tyler Polley, who averaged 8ppg and 2rpg as a 6’9” sophomore

- Syracuse meanwhile has Eli coming back, locked into the 3 and most of the minutes
- A combination of Girard, Buddy, Goodine, Carey in the back court battling for time

Hurley promised Jackson a starting spot, that’s what he needed to hear

But ironically,

- Bouknight ends up looking really, really good; will be UConns best player and on the court a lot
- Polley really emerges before tearing his ACL and ending his season, but he’ll be back and an upperclassman
- UConn adds Tyrese Martin; a 6’6 205 kid who Hurley recruited at URI and averaged 12/7 as a sophomore. They did this with Jackson already in the fold

So assuming Bouknight is locked into the 2G for 30+ mpg, Jackson will be battling for minutes at the 3/4 with Polley and Martin for 2 more years! If Akok wasnt hurt you gotta assume he’d be slotted in at the 4. I suppose Bouknight could leave after this year.

Meanwhile Syracuse loses Goodine, Carey and Hughes. With 38mpg available at the 3 (then we got Griffin of course).

gotta wonder if Jackson knew how 2019 would unfold if he still picks UConn. Cole and Bouknight need the ball; Gaffney is a PG. if he came here you’d think he’d have tge ball A LOT with Joe/Buddy spotting up on the wings. Now he’s at a place where he’ll be the 3rd ball handling option at best and he’ll be battling for playing time with 2 upperclassmen who are coming off productive seasons.

Last edited:
I posted this a few months ago in the Kadary thread, explaining how when Andre committed, UConn had a Lot more PT available than us...but after 7 months that essentially flipped, and we would have had thr PT ( this post was before UConn got Sanogo too...another guy who could play the 4)

When he committed to UConn, the season hadn’t even started yet. So we had a feeling Eli would be good and get all the minutes at the 3, but no one knew hed be leaving. We had Joe, Buddy, Jalen and a top 75 kid in Goodine who were all under class men. To anyone think Andre looked at that roster and thought “I’ll get plenty of PT” is lying.

When he committed to UConn, at the 1-3s they had:

-a PG transfer from Howard
-2 freshman ranked right around were Goodine was
-and Tyler Polley, who up until that point had done nothing of note at the college level.
-They had Christian Vital, who was getting a load of minutes but was also a senior and would be gone. They also had Gilbert, but as strictly a PG he wouldn’t effect Andre that much.

So if you’re Andre when you commit in October, looking ahead to 2020:

- UConn has 3 PGs possibly on the roster (Gilbert, Evans, Gaffney) but that’s fine, it’s unlikely due to size those 3 play together very often
- A departing Vital, who would leave over 30mpg+ on the table
- Bouknight, who is ranked near Jackson as a sophomore
- Tyler Polley, who averaged 8ppg and 2rpg as a 6’9” sophomore

- Syracuse meanwhile has Eli coming back, locked into the 3 and most of the minutes
- A combination of Girard, Buddy, Goodine, Carey in the back court battling for time

Hurley promised Jackson a starting spot, that’s what he needed to hear

But ironically,

- Bouknight ends up looking really, really good; will be UConns best player and on the court a lot
- Polley really emerges before tearing his ACL and ending his season, but he’ll be back and an upperclassman
- UConn adds Tyrese Martin; a 6’6 205 kid who Hurley recruited at URI and averaged 12/7 as a sophomore. They did this with Jackson already in the fold

So assuming Bouknight is locked into the 2G for 30+ mpg, Jackson will be battling for minutes at the 3/4 with Polley and Martin for 2 more years! If Akok wasnt hurt you gotta assume he’d be slotted in at the 4. I suppose Bouknight could leave after this year.

Meanwhile Syracuse loses Goodine, Carey and Hughes. With 38mpg available at the 3 (then we got Griffin of course).

gotta wonder if Jackson knew how 2019 would unfold if he still picks UConn. Cole and Bouknight need the ball; Gaffney is a PG. if he came here you’d think he’d have tge ball A LOT with Joe/Buddy spotting up on the wings. Now he’s at a place where he’ll be the 3rd ball handling option at best and he’ll be battling for playing time with 2 upperclassmen who are coming off productive seasons.

I think the lesson there is "don't over think it." If you like a place, the coaches, etc, don't over emphasize opportunities for PT. Situations change and nothing is the same the following year. Find a place, do your work and let your talent and hard work figure out the rest.

I think the lesson there is "don't over think it." If you like a place, the coaches, etc, don't over emphasize opportunities for PT. Situations change and nothing is the same the following year. Find a place, do your work and let your talent and hard work figure out the rest.
When you make it a point to say “I want to play right away and not worrying about transferring” - I think it’s safe to say it was on his mind

strange to take pleasure in an unlikely combination of events that produce a less desirable situation for a teenage ballplayer, but to each his own.

Andre was supposedly a lock to be Orange for ages, but then he bought what the snake oil peddler Hurley was selling, and now - here we are.

Meanwhile, Kadary was ditto to UConn, until they flipped Andre, so he then kinda fell into our laps.
And for what we need out of a player, he’s by far a better fit, so it all worked out well for us.

Plus, if Andre is going to be here, do we still land Alan Griffin?
Probably not.

So, maybe it all happened for a reason?
That’s karma.

Andre was supposedly a lock to be Orange for ages, but then he bought what the snake oil peddler Hurley was selling, and now - here we are.

Meanwhile, Kadary was ditto to UConn, until they flipped Andre, so he then kinda fell into our laps.
And for what we need out of a player, he’s by far a better fit, so it all worked out well for us.

Plus, if Andre is going to be here, do we still land Alan Griffin?
Probably not.

So, maybe it all happened for a reason?
That’s karma.
Gotta give Hurley credit, he promises things he’s never actually done lol

- second weekend of the tournament
- get guys to the nba
- staying sane and normal on the sidelines

That game in the garden against UConn two years ago was really strange. They swamped us. They kept hitting three after three. And the star of our team was Jalen with an anomalous 26 points.
OK back to the original thread (whatever it is)

That game in the garden against UConn two years ago was really strange. They swamped us. They kept hitting three after three. And the star of our team was Jalen with an anomalous 26 points.
I was there. We never looked right.

Gotta give Hurley credit, he promises things he’s never actually done lol

- second weekend of the tournament
- get guys to the nba
- staying sane and normal on the sidelines
The one that blew my mind was when Akok Akok said they were going to win a championship.

The one that blew my mind was when Akok Akok said they were going to win a championship.
I believe he promised one by this year.

Ive said it once and said it again; Hurley goes above and beyond, which is fine - but if he doesn’t prove it on the court soon, hes toast. Bouknight will get to the NBA (a first for Hurley), but he’ll need more than that. And he’s in a conference fill with coaches who are at/above his level, that wasn’t the case at URI or in the AAC

Same. No Frank that night (and Oregon) was huge. No one played well for us that week except Carey

0 ast and 6 to's is playing well? He scored a bunch of points but created a bunch of fast breaks for uconn. He repeatedly dribbled into traffic and got stripped while ignoring his teammates who eventually quit. I think he was playing selfish.

0 ast and 6 to's is playing well? He scored a bunch of points but created a bunch of fast breaks for uconn. He repeatedly dribbled into traffic and got stripped while ignoring his teammates who eventually quit. I think he was playing selfish.
Ya he wasn’t distributing at all, but it was clear no one could score - and we still almost had it

He had 26 points and about 26 turnovers. It was desperation time.

takeaways from this:
1. We are still in this (not in the Bonner/Cal sense) and are spending time prioritizing him with FaceTime, zoom etc. with gmac the lead and JB involved
2. kid is about guaranteed playing time and the addition of Frank gave him pause. He doesn’t want to go to a place and then have to enter the transfer portal if he doesn’t play enough. Interesting that his coach would admit that A kid with that high a profile Would be worried about the transfer portal.
3. Dior and Benny are indeed helping
He won't have to worry about playing time.

Ya he wasn’t distributing at all, but it was clear no one could score - and we still almost had it

OB jogging like he didn't care didn't help either. But things are looking up after last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom