Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

Dior is a tremendous get! A local kid that has been shooting in Melo before he was a teenager. Still 2 years away from setting foot on campus.

Come on Cuse reportedly beat out Dayton for Griffin. Not exactly a school with national recruiting chops.

Just some recent names off the top of my head that didn't say "Hi"...
Isaiah Stewart, Andre Jackson, Kennedy Chandler, Isaiah Jackson, Kofi Cockburn, Qudus Wahaab, Tre Mitchell, Cole Swider, Louis King, Jordan Tucker, Quade Green oh and throw in Patrick friggin Tape that everyone thought was coming to Cuse...twice

I will be comfortable standing by my original statement. I won't hold my breath thinking Cuse is a lock for this kid. Sorry head to head battles won't go well with Kentucky, and/or Duke.

The only head to head they won vs. UK was Dejuan Coleman (lost Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Quade Green, Isaiah Jackson).

I can't think of anyone they beat head to head with Duke (lost Alex O'Connell, Jordan Tucker, Trevon Duvall, Cam Reddish).
Admittedly it's only "Wikipedia," but under the Gerry McNamara entry in "College Career," it reads, "McNamara had offers from schools such as Duke and Florida, but chose to attend Syracuse." A footnote states: Zillgitt, Jeff (April 6, 2003). "McNamara no tank, but he is helping drive Syracuse". USA Today. Retrieved September 1,2007. Very interesting. If true, that would be a pretty nice head-to-head victory, right?

Dior is a tremendous get! A local kid that has been shooting in Melo before he was a teenager. Still 2 years away from setting foot on campus.

Come on Cuse reportedly beat out Dayton for Griffin. Not exactly a school with national recruiting chops.

Just some recent names off the top of my head that didn't say "Hi"...
Isaiah Stewart, Andre Jackson, Kennedy Chandler, Isaiah Jackson, Kofi Cockburn, Qudus Wahaab, Tre Mitchell, Cole Swider, Louis King, Jordan Tucker, Quade Green oh and throw in Patrick friggin Tape that everyone thought was coming to Cuse...twice

I will be comfortable standing by my original statement. I won't hold my breath thinking Cuse is a lock for this kid. Sorry head to head battles won't go well with Kentucky, and/or Duke.

The only head to head they won vs. UK was Dejuan Coleman (lost Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Quade Green, Isaiah Jackson).

I can't think of anyone they beat head to head with Duke (lost Alex O'Connell, Jordan Tucker, Trevon Duvall, Cam Reddish).
Wasn’t Girard being recruited by Duke?

Last edited:
Admittedly it's only "Wikipedia," but under the Gerry McNamara entry in "College Career," it reads, "McNamara had offers from schools such as Duke and Florida, but chose to attend Syracuse." A footnote states: Zillgitt, Jeff (April 6, 2003). "McNamara no tank, but he is helping drive Syracuse". USA Today. Retrieved September 1,2007. Very interesting. If true, that would be a pretty nice head-to-head victory, right?
From what I recall, GMac went on an unofficial to Duke. Later on, when we signed him, Coach K was asked about Gerry and responded, "Who?"

but marek can shoot. he has a good mid range jump shot, which is good enough for the role i see him staking out. and between his sophomore season results & the clear improvement in his ft% this year, i think he'll prove to be a reasonable 3 pt threat as well, at least in the 33-34% range.

See I have a hard time saying a guy can shoot when he made 1 three last year and only took 7. That's crazy. He's capable of knocking down jumpers from the foul line and can be crafty in the paint and sure it's possible he improves from distance but I am far away from calling him even a small threat from deep. If you can shoot, but don't, does it matter?

It sure would be great if he could step back and knock one down a game at the clip you suggest (34% or so). The sample size is a bit larger from 2018 which is why it was so odd seeing the attempts drop so much, but maybe gives hopes he develops that game again/more.

Why? We have Griffin, who can play SG and SF.
Because we have no backup PG if something were to happen to Girard. Richmond isn't likely to be able to handle that role full time and be successful. Girard is basically Devito this year. Have 1 guy capable of driving the bus and need them in bubblewrap.

From what I recall, GMac went on an unofficial to Duke. Later on, when we signed him, Coach K was asked about Gerry and responded, "Who?"
My memory is different. I thought I remember reading somewhere Coach K saying something to the effect that Syracuse was getting the type of player that could definitely help them out?

Ok, hypothetical question, what if you found out Haarms had a puppy. And Haarms loved that puppy more than anything. He is so far away from home and when he feels lonely he pets little Windmill, that’s the puppy’s name on account of he’s so homesick. And little Windmill loves him just as much. Everyone knows how much the two love each other. Well, one day the head coach is looking for Haarms, but he isn’t in his room, but Windmill is. The coach pets his little face, but then, as puppies are prone to do, he pees on the coach’s new Air Force Ones. The coach is very mad and he kicks Windmill. He isn’t hurt badly, but now he is scared of people, even Haarms. And Haarms knows the coach did it and can’t forgive him. So, he has to leave. What then?

Little Windmill. Lmao!

At what point does JB realize that we need a staff upgrade to get back in the game with these kids? Gerry made 6 3’s a lifetime ago and nobody outside of SU cares.

Wasn’t Gerry the lead recruiter on top 5 player Dior Johnson?

Maybe he can help land Matt Haarms.

So, this thread is 10+ pages and nobody posted a Double Dutch reference with this guy and Edwards? We’re better than that, people.
360-double-dutch-still-superJumbo.jpg

Edit, my bad, it’s there! I didn’t get an A in reading comprehension :)

It's my understanding Joe was in Duke's crosshairs to assist landing his AAU teammate. Correct me if I am wrong
Ah yes, the classic “positives don’t count” response. The narrative is strong with this one.

And just to make sure this covers Haarms, no doubt you’ll treat this as a colossal recruiting fail if he goes elsewhere, despite the fact there are 68 teams involved, including Kentucky (and probably Duke as well before this over).

Matt Haarm's personal message...
Now let's hope that his next message is his final list of schools he is considering with SU in it. Or better yet, a post that he will be attending SU for his final year of eligibility.

Yep. Everyone wants to add him. This will be a tough one but at least we are giving it a shot. This would be huge if we could somehow pull this one off.

Ok, hypothetical question, what if you found out Haarms had a puppy. And Haarms loved that puppy more than anything. He is so far away from home and when he feels lonely he pets little Windmill, that’s the puppy’s name on account of he’s so homesick. And little Windmill loves him just as much. Everyone knows how much the two love each other. Well, one day the head coach is looking for Haarms, but he isn’t in his room, but Windmill is. The coach pets his little face, but then, as puppies are prone to do, he pees on the coach’s new Air Force Ones. The coach is very mad and he kicks Windmill. He isn’t hurt badly, but now he is scared of people, even Haarms. And Haarms knows the coach did it and can’t forgive him. So, he has to leave. What then?
Surprisingly detailed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom