Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

So, this thread is 10+ pages and nobody posted a Double Dutch reference with this guy and Edwards? We’re better than that, people.
360-double-dutch-still-superJumbo.jpg

Edit, my bad, it’s there! I didn’t get an A in reading comprehension :)
Did somebody say Double Dutch?
1586292470647.png

“I just want a place where I can showcase an NBA-ready skillset,” Haarms told about his decision to leave Purdue. “I want to have a great year so I can transition to the pro level.”

The Netherlands native started 40 games throughout his three-year career at Purdue. He has averaged at least two blocks per game in each season. As a junior, he averaged 8.6 points and 4.6 rebounds, while making 52-percent of his shots from the floor.

In no rush to make his college decision and with the coronavirus practically wiping out any visits that could have taken place, Haarms is not in a rush to make a decision. “I want to make sure I talk to everyone that has reached out to me on the phone. I want to do the right thing,” Haarms said. “So, before I do all of that, I don’t really know how long it’s going to take.”

Haarms is immediately eligible in the fall and could be the final piece to a league or national championship contending team’s roster.

Why would he go to a school where he wouldn't be the presumptive starter and get the lion's share of minutes in his one remaining season? "Showcase an NBA-ready skillset." That sounds like 'Start+Minutes+M2M+post game.'

Why would he go to a school where he wouldn't be the presumptive starter and get the lion's share of minutes in his one remaining season? "Showcase an NBA-ready skillset." That sounds like 'Start+Minutes+M2M+post game.'
I don't think we have a shot here. Having said that, where does this kid think he is going to have a shot better than Purdue at starting and having a chance to win? Don't most top teams already know who their center will be next year?

Why wouldn't he be the presumptive starter? You don't believe Tape was told he would be the presumptive starter?

I'll say that I do like our group of bigs we have currently and Sidibe was fantastic at the end of the season but adding Haarms would be a game changer. I also like the idea of adding Joshua Morgan if we strike out on Haarms or Morgan decides before Haarms. I think Morgan is a great athlete and could potentially have higher upside then all of then. I also think jesse will be really good as well but hes still a year or so off and needs to get stronger/work on his game some more. With how bad our big situation has been the past few years I'm all for bringing in talent/upgrading. Our staff is working and doing a great job.

A few things to think about.

UK has some bigs already Isaiah Jackson, Brooks, Ware, and could possibly have richards/Montgomery come back. They are also in a good spot to land Greg Brown.

Zona could end up in trouble (I doubt it but still u never know) not sure on their roster situation but I think they have a few bigs. As far as I know they have 3. Christian Koloko, Ira Lee and Jordan Brown. Koloko was a elite shot blocker.

For people saying Gonzaga being a favorite, they have returning big guys
Filip Petrusev 6' 11" He could enter the draft.
Drew Timme 6' 10"
Oumar Ballo 6' 10"
Pavel Zakharov 6' 11"

Louisville could be one to watch here. Mack is a hell of a coach/recruiter and they have a great fanbase/recognition. They also lost a bunch of guys and have 2 returning big men that probably wont scare him away.

The only other schools I could see having a shot would be Memphis and Texas Tech out of his current list of schools...unless more become involved and I'm sure they will.

We have 3 bigs now in the fold but he has to think he has a chance to start over all of our current guys. Maybe we have a chance here? Not sure we look too bad considering who is on our roster.

Anyone with knowledge of Memphis/TT roster care to share how they look regarding their bigs going into this season?

But out of all the schools to reach out to him so far, I feel these schools mentioned would be the biggest threat to land him. Some of the others dont even make sense.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't he be the presumptive starter? You don't believe Tape was told he would be the presumptive starter?
His stats don't show me he's better than Sidibe.
I haven't seen him play, though. That i remember. What about him tells you that JB would assure him of a starting role over an incumbent who really started to put it together at the end of this season? Tapé, similar, but i could at least see the potential for a more solid, and stronger player. But, yeah—same thing.

His stats don't show me he's better than Sidibe.
I haven't seen him play, though. That i remember. What about him tells you that JB would assure him of a starting role over an incumbent who really started to put it together at the end of this season? Tapé, similar, but i could at least see the potential for a more solid, and stronger player. But, yeah—same thing.
He is worlds ahead of Sidibe if you’ve actually seen him play.

Idk. Maybe I should of asked that question.

Yes, maybe you should’ve.

Honestly - IF we got Haarms, having Jesse do a RS season where all he does is eat and lift, would benefit him AND us tremendously.

And we’d have 4 legit bigs who could battle each other at practice next year, and all push each other’s games.

Lastly - we’d have both JBA and Jesse as experienced upperclassmen Bigs for when Dior, et al arrive in ‘22.
As much as it’d be nice to recruit a stud Big like Mac or Clingan (sp?) - having 2 Grown Ass Men to hold down the middle of the zone that year would be AWESOME.

So, he'd push his friend into a redshirt?
It's not his concern. He has to do what's best for him. It might be a good thing for Edwards it would give him a chance to bulk up.

Why are you guys saying we don’t have a shot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom