Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

How does a guy that's 7'3" only average 4-5 rebounds a game over his career at Purdue? I'd be happy if he came here but that's shockingly low.

Lots of rim protectors are bad rebounders because they are out of position for the rebound. Fab Melo wasn't the greatest defensive rebounder either.

The fact that he isn't committed yet tells me he's too indecisive and we need players that know what they want.
If he's reading this, i hope it's clear to him that this is sarcasm. But, if he doesn't get that, he's not super bright, or 'with it,' and we need players who grok netspeak protocols.

I thought Tape was a good player, stated he would be a luxury for us. Obviously a little bummed out he went to Duke and the way his recruitment played out.

That being said Haarms would be great here. I’m not just saying this to say it with my orange colored glasses on but he would be a better get than Tape. This dude is 7-3, a bruiser that can protect the rim. He would be the PERFECT fit here.

Just think of the intensity this team would bring. JG3, Griffin, Quincy and time some extent Marek are known for their intensity and passion. Adding Haarms would be awesome. (I’m sure all our players are passionate some just hide it better than others lol)

If Griffin is deemed eligible this season how about the lineup of

JG3
Buddy
Griffin
Marek
Haarms

That’s a very solid starting 5 and we would have a hell of a bench.
who is the rumored HS guard? is it possibly Dior?

how about

pg: dior
sg: griffin
sf: guerrier
pf: marek
c: haarms

bench:
pg: jg3
sg: richmond
sf: buddy
pf: newton, braswell
c: sidibe, ajok, edwards

seems pretty good bet as a legit contender

How does a guy that's 7'3" only average 4-5 rebounds a game over his career at Purdue? I'd be happy if he came here but that's shockingly low.
For some reason he averaged only 20 minutes a game at Purdue. Shockingly low. Playing a normal 35-40 minutes that 8-10 rebounds a game. Very good.

What is their pace of play?

If it’s typical B1G 50-60 slugfest maybe that’s the reason?

You could be right, though the difference isn't huge. According to Fox Sports, Purdue averaged 33.8 rebounds per game in 2019-20 and gave up 29.3, for a total of 63.1 rebounds per game. In comparison, SU averaged 32.1 rebounds per game and gave up 33.2 for a total of 65.3. That means that there were 2.2 fewer rebounds to be had in the typical Purdue game.

how about

bench:

We already have dior lol.

comp.jpg

how about

bench:

LOL. Dior doesn't graduate HS for 2 more years. 2022.

LOL. Dior doesn't graduate HS for 2 more years. 2022.
it seems weird to go after a HS guard with him coming ...the current target must either be REALLY GOOD or not that good at all (which wouldn't make sense really)...and dior commented on haarms post...just a thought...

whatever the case, its cool that dior cares enough to recruit haarms for 2 years before he comes!

This perfectly shows why Haarms is the type of player I want at SU. Its not becasue Haarms is an NBA type talent like some are saying (I don't believe he is). Its because Sidibe is a really good rebounder, but not a good rim protector. A rim protector would add a dimension that this team is currently lacking (not to mention a good shot blocker immediately makes every perimeter defender better because they can take more chances and not have to worry about getting beat to the basket).

Just like with Tape, I don't think there is any reason to debate who is better. Plenty of minutes for both Haarms and Sidibe, and they both bring something to the table that we need.

That said, I'd take anybody who can block shots, it doesn't need to be Haarms, though I do think he's an excellent fit.

This perfectly shows why Haarms is the type of player I want at SU. Its not becasue Haarms is an NBA type talent like some are saying (I don't believe he is). Its because Sidibe is a really good rebounder, but not a good rim protector. A rim protector would add a dimension that this team is currently lacking (not to mention a good shot blocker immediately makes every perimeter defender better because they can take more chances and not have to worry about getting beat to the basket).

Just like with Tape, I don't think there is any reason to debate who is better. Plenty of minutes for both Haarms and Sidibe, and they both bring something to the table that we need.

That said, I'd take anybody who can block shots, it doesn't need to be Haarms, though I do think he's an excellent fit.
i come to the opposite conclusion. other than block percentage, bourama's numbers are better across the board. and bourama's interior presence leads to a combination of blocks and steals. he had 44 blocks & 40 steals this year - 84 impactful defensive plays. haarms had 57 & 6, 63 such plays. adjusting for minutes, that is just about the same impact with boo slightly ahead. but add in boo's much better defensive rebounding performance, and i don't see how haarms is an upgrade at all. he's going to have to fight for minutes in the best case scenario. in such a situation, why would he even choose syracuse?

i come to the opposite conclusion. other than block percentage, bourama's numbers are better across the board. and bourama's interior presence leads to a combination of blocks and steals. he had 44 blocks & 40 steals this year - 84 impactful defensive plays. haarms had 57 & 6, 63 such plays. adjusting for minutes, that is just about the same impact with boo slightly ahead. but add in boo's much better defensive rebounding performance, and i don't see how haarms is an upgrade at all. he's going to have to fight for minutes in the best case scenario. in such a situation, why would he even choose syracuse?
If Bourama can figure out how to more often than not get to, say:
- around the 5m mark of the first half before picking up his 2nd foul,
and/or
- around the 14m mark of the 2nd half before picking up his 3rd foul
he'll be a very effective C for us in '20-21.

and/or
And I don't think he can, that's why I want Haarms.

and/or
i think he will. a lot of his fouls were "reputational," and we may have seen that rep starting to change at the end of the year

It's not even debatable that Haarms would be an upgrade to any center in the Cuse program currently. He can get the ball in the post and score.
Have we forgotten how great that is to have on the court? Imagine a defense having to guard the 5 spot?

Our current centers are good bench guys, but not mid to top tier acc starters. It doesn't seem likely we get haarms, so hopefully I'm wrong about the current talent at center.

I don’t know and neither do you. Nobody does. We’re all just water.

you are so sleep easy
I’m leaning towards agreeing with your take on this situation. What’s funny is this would be par for the course in pro sports. There might not be much, but college sports still have a little bit of innocence.

We already have 3 centers on the roster for 2020-21. If JB thought we had a reasonable chance in landing Haarms, is it likely that he would have extended an offer to 2020 center Quincy Ballard, as reported below?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom