Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

This perfectly shows why Haarms is the type of player I want at SU. Its not becasue Haarms is an NBA type talent like some are saying (I don't believe he is). Its because Sidibe is a really good rebounder, but not a good rim protector. A rim protector would add a dimension that this team is currently lacking (not to mention a good shot blocker immediately makes every perimeter defender better because they can take more chances and not have to worry about getting beat to the basket).

Just like with Tape, I don't think there is any reason to debate who is better. Plenty of minutes for both Haarms and Sidibe, and they both bring something to the table that we need.

That said, I'd take anybody who can block shots, it doesn't need to be Haarms, though I do think he's an excellent fit.

Plus, this guy could play the 4 ALONGSIDE Sidibe.

skills we dont have at the center position...not even close. Look at the stats from this game. A 7 footer that can hit a 3? Love how rolls to the basket and when hes anywhere even close to the hoop slams it. High energy player.

Sign me up! Damn!

He'd be a homerun. When watching purdue games the last few years, I always say to whoever will listen, why don't we get centers like this.

Painter is great at pulling them in, really enjoy watching their type of basketball.

Matt Painter is only 49 years old, and he's already had quite a few very good seasons. I know he played for Purdue and is unlikely to ever leave, but his teams have fallen off a bit the last couple years.

He is the kind of guy I hope we interview in a few years when JB retires.

Matt Painter is only 49 years old, and he's already had quite a few very good seasons. I know he played for Purdue and is unlikely to ever leave, but his teams have fallen off a bit the last couple years.

I guess he is ok if you don’t like puppies.

Fallen off a bit? They were a crazy virgina buzzer beater from going to the final four last year

Fallen off a bit? They were a crazy virgina buzzer beater from going to the final four last year
I don’t disagree with the idea that Painter is a good coach, but they were only 16-15 this past year. That had to be a disappointing drop-off to their fans.

I don’t disagree with the idea that Painter is a good coach, but they were only 16-15 this past year. That had to be a disappointing drop-off to their fans.
Enough to make a coach really really mad. Mad enough to do something horrible.

Yeah, but that was kind of like our last Final Four. Not really that good a team, lost 10 games that year. But his teams have played pretty well in the NCAA - 4 or 5 Sweet 16s and that Elite 8, but the last couple years he's had more losses than they are used to under him. He might be available in a couple years.

If Bourama can figure out how to more often than not get to, say:
- around the 5m mark of the first half before picking up his 2nd foul,
and/or
- around the 14m mark of the 2nd half before picking up his 3rd foul
he'll be a very effective C for us in '20-21.
History so far says he won't do those things

They were much better than their record.

.. to puppies? What’s the story?
Ok, page 7, Moqui was mentioned being hesitant about taking a guy that would turn his back on his team like this (or something to that affect). So, I replied with a hypothetical story that would make Haarms a bit more pathetic. A little diddy about a homesick boy and his puppy. And then a pair of AF1’s and some pee pee resulting in an angry coach. And then Jordville in his tweeting genius posts a tweet of Haarms and his dog a few pages later ( well done Jordville). And, now I am just keeping the story alive and being incredibly unfair to Coach Painter.

Yeah, but that was kind of like our last Final Four. Not really that good a team, lost 10 games that year. But his teams have played pretty well in the NCAA - 4 or 5 Sweet 16s and that Elite 8, but the last couple years he's had more losses than they are used to under him. He might be available in a couple years.
They won the big ten and went like 16-4 or something in conference that year. They weren’t no slouch at all they were like a 3 or 4 seed lol

They were 16-4 in conference and it was their fourth year in a row winning at least 25 games. They’ve been quite better than us the last 5 years until this go around. Last year was nothing like our run in 2016. I can’t believe Haarms would leave. I have to think someone would tamper.

Last edited:

Just going by their record, the losses are higher than they have been. That's all I'm saying.

Didn't they lose a key guy early

If he milks this long enough the hype machine may overload, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some starting comparing him to George Mikan.
I’m thinking a much taller yet slightly less athletic Keith Van Horn.

Just going by their record, the losses are higher than they have been. That's all I'm saying.
That’s becoming the norm for most teams. More conference games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom