Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

duke gunna jump into the Haarms sweepstake even with Tape. They will sell Tape playing the 4 and Haarms playing the 5.

To be a fly in the room when coach k talks to tape.

Last week "Son you will be a star at the 5 for us next year. I will make you a lottery pick"

Next week " son get out of the way you are taking oxygen away from "Haarms"

Horrible post
Why? You think he'd be good with another time share situation?

And I should have said, I think he'll land at another big program. Didn't mean to imply we weren't one.

Why? You think he'd be good with another time share situation?

And I should have said, I think he'll land at another big program. Didn't mean to imply we weren't one.

If he’s as good as advertised he’s not going to share a lot of minutes with Bourama Sidibe.

Also he reminds me of Rudy Gobert. Not sure if anyone else picked up on that.

Considering the list of schools that want him I'd say hes pretty good. Also if u watched him play you would know hes pretty good. This is like the Nate Sestina thread...kid from bucknell sucked yet went to UK and was really good. :rolleyes:

I'm confused. Are u saying Haarms isnt good and is bailing on Purdue because of that?
i'm saying he's leaving purdue because he got beat out & lost his starting gig last year, was unable to reclaim it this year
and he's not better than what syracuse already has here. he'll be competing for backup minutes and that is the exact situation he's bailing on

i'm saying he's leaving purdue because he got beat out & lost his starting gig last year, was unable to reclaim it this year
and he's not better than what syracuse already has here. he'll be competing for backup minutes and that is the exact situation he's bailing on
He'd be our best center and it isn't really that close.

I believe he had some injuries that played a part in all of that. Kid is legit and is better then anyone we have on our roster right now. That's not even debatable but whatever. Hes "bailing" to go play at a better basketball program then Purdue. They were good went they had Edwards then went back to being Purdue. Cant blame the kid for wanting more and considering every major program in the country wants a crack at him I'd say he must be pretty decent. If Sidibe announced he was transfering do you think UK/Zona/Louisville/Gonzaga would be reaching out instantly to recruit him? The answer is NO.

I believe he had some injuries that played a part in all of that. Kid is legit and is better then anyone we have on our roster right now. That's not even debatable but whatever. Hes "bailing" to go play at a better basketball program then Purdue. They were good went they had Edwards then went back to being Purdue. Cant blame the kid for wanting more and considering every major program in the country wants a crack at him I'd say he must be pretty decent. If Sidibe announced he was transfering do you think UK/Zona/Louisville/Gonzaga would be reaching out instantly to recruit him? The answer is NO.
Purdues been pretty good lately they should have been in the final 4 last year which leads me to believe either a school like UK was tampering or he had a falling out with painter.

A few thoughts:
1) Very rarely would I call a player transferring as "bailing " given what coaches do to recruits every year. The season ended and he made a decision to leave. No issues with that.
2) From video I have watched he moves on the court better than our current players at the same position. That's not even a question.
3) At a minimum he would provide us an additional presence in the middle that COULD provide better defense and 5 more quality fouls worth of minutes.
4) I think a stronger defense at the 5, would create more fast break opportunities for an offense that is often stale. I am all for a faster paced offense back on the court.
5) If we see a number of typical top 25 teams throw their hat in for this young man then I think it would be fair to state there is probably some talent there.
6) Sid has shown promise but let's not act like he has the center position locked down. In football you are always looking to recruit over existing talent. Hoops is no different.
Here's to hoping both those currently on the team get better and that Coach brings in better talent. Competition makes everyone better. Go Cuse!

A few thoughts:
1) Very rarely would I call a player transferring as "bailing " given what coaches do to recruits every year. The season ended and he made a decision to leave. No issues with that.
2) From video I have watched he moves on the court better than our current players at the same position. That's not even a question.
3) At a minimum he would provide us an additional presence in the middle that COULD provide better defense and 5 more quality fouls worth of minutes.
4) I think a stronger defense at the 5, would create more fast break opportunities for an offense that is often stale. I am all for a faster paced offense back on the court.
5) If we see a number of typical top 25 teams throw their hat in for this young man then I think it would be fair to state there is probably some talent there.
6) Sid has shown promise but let's not act like he has the center position locked down. In football you are always looking to recruit over existing talent. Hoops is no different.
Here's to hoping both those currently on the team get better and that Coach brings in better talent. Competition makes everyone better. Go Cuse!
I'm with you all the way on this...my question, why are we not recruiting big-time centers for the future and resorting to grad transfers given what we know we have?

I'm with you all the way on this...my question, why are we not recruiting big-time centers for the future and resorting to grad transfers given what we know we have?
We are, we're just not landing them

Let' hope we get one in the class of 2021

We are, we're just not landing them

Let' hope we get one in the class of 2021
Then that's a problem with recruiting or a reflection on coaching...either we don't develop bigs, in all fairness we lost that with Bernie Fine, or we don't recruit. I tend to think we've lost our touch in both areas, and we should have brought in a big-man coach and a recruiting guru. Is it too late for that? I mean, coach is retiring in 2 years, but the heir apparent is Gmac. If so, start cleaning house and getting things done...it's not like we don't have the $, plus we have the new venue to go with our history which is an easy sell. Get it done. Who's in charge around here?

To be a fly in the room when coach k talks to tape.

Last week "Son you will be a star at the 5 for us next year. I will make you a lottery pick"

Next week " son get out of the way you are taking oxygen away from "Haarms"
Everyone here should want Duke to land Haarms, which could send Tape back our way. And don’t act like you wouldn’t take him if he changed his mind again.

Everyone here should want Duke to land Haarms, which could send Tape back our way. And don’t act like you wouldn’t take him if he changed his mind again.
Um. No thanks.

You have a very jaded view of Syracuse’s roster and clearly have not watched a Purdue game.

To add a little bit of context, Haarms ranked 9th in the country in blocked shot percentage this past year at 12.6%. In 2018-19, he ranked 13th at 11.6%. Sidibe a respectable 59th at 7.6%.

Haarms would give us an elite shotblocker in the middle of the zone. As a sophomore, one of the comparisons KenPom has for his play is Fab Melo in 2012. I'd take that.

Also, against top competition he has done very well. He had 16 points (6-6 FG) and 8 rebounds against Florida State. He had 15 points in 19 minutes against Iowa.

Sidibe had 9 points and 5 rebounds against Florida State, and 8 points & 8 reboundsd against Iowa.

Not to diminish his improvement at the end of last year, but Sidibe did it against Georgia Tech, North Carolina (2x), Miami, Boston College and Pitt. Those five teams combined to go a whopping 75-85 overall and 37-63 in ACC play.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom