Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

He knew he was not going to start @ SU or get any more minutes than he could muster at Purdue. Coaches knew that too and that is why some are waiting to see what happens at noon today

He knew he was not going to start @ SU or get any more minutes than he could muster at Purdue. Coaches knew that too and that is why some are waiting to see what happens at noon today
Yes whether or not he would have started Sidibe is moot because Bourama still would have gotten 20mpg regardless. I’m sure Haarms wants the lion share of the minutes at the 5 and to be a featured offensive weapon. Would have been a great get but it makes sense

So not sure of all of the institutions that reached out to him but we know that Syracuse, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Arizona are 4 to name some of them. Historically top 25 schools. So the guy must not be viewed as a low talent prospect if you have all of the above plus reaching out to him. Maybe they know a bit more than we do about talent or the value of a prospect?

So not sure of all of the institutions that reached out to him but we know that Syracuse, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Arizona are 4 to name some of them. Historically top 25 schools. So the guy must not be viewed as a low talent prospect if you have all of the above plus reaching out to him. Maybe they know a bit more than we do about talent or the value of a prospect?
When did I say a low talent prospect?

When did I say a low talent prospect?
No one has articulated this guy is the 2nd coming Dirk Nowtski or anything. Unless I missed comments in which case... Moqui did a line comparison of Sid and this kid and neither has stats that blow anyone away. He does seem more athletic then Sid. The guy is a piece to a puzzle that evidence suggests allot of schools liked. So hard to say he is overhyped unless again people on this board are saying this guy is the next euro NBA star. I maybe missed that though.

I mean, this year, theres a high demand for quality grad transfer bigs but there isn’t a ton of options available. His stats last year were not as good because he was splitting time at the C spot with Trevion Williams (basically doing offense/defense). Stats don’t tell the whole story. Anyone who has at least seen Purdue knows Haarms is legit.

What a buzzkill...this Saturday sucks! Wait...what day is it because they all seem the same nowadays! #stayhome :confused:

As already mentioned, Syracuse is not in a position to win anything next season. If you are leaving a program that was a couple of seconds away from the Final Four, you are going to a school that is a S16 contender at minimum.

What a buzzkill...this Saturday sucks! Wait...what day is it because they all seem the same nowadays! #stayhome :confused:
well, on the other hand, the buzz was entirely manufactured in the first place . . .

does SU reaching out mean anything more then hey we have 10-20 Min of potential minutes but not a guarantee of starting ?

Um. No thanks.
So much for growing up. And yet, if Tape changes his mind again and goes anywhere but SU, you will complain. Guaranteed.

i'm saying he's leaving purdue because he got beat out & lost his starting gig last year, was unable to reclaim it this year
and he's not better than what syracuse already has here. he'll be competing for backup minutes and that is the exact situation he's bailing on
Moqui, you’re wrong on this. Mike detailed it in the PS. Haarms didn’t start but he essentially split minutes with the other guy. Almost equal playing time. We had that exact situation with AO/Rick Jackson and Baye/Christmas, and that was ideal. Big guys shouldn’t be playing 35 mpg +.

Last edited:
Moqui, you’re wrong on this. Mike detailed it in the PS. Haarms didn’t start but he essentially split minutes with the other guy. Almost equal playing time. We had that exact situation with AO/Rick Jackson and Baye/Christmas, and that was ideal. Big guys shouldn’t be playing 35 mpg +.
i know they split time. and that wasn't good enough for haarms. he wasn't going to jump into the same situation here

Pretty sure the KVH comparison was an inside joke.

All of my posts were what I thought was obvious sarcasm. Just me laughing at all the posts about Matt friggin’ Haarms being light years better than any big we have, and so absolutely obvious (if you’ve actually seen him play...another popular gem here, from the NBA scouts on furlough, I can only assume) that it’s not even debatable. Reminds me of the he had one more rebound than a dead guy classic. Sorry, he had 4 more.

So a big man averaging 6.5 shot attempts in 20 minutes of play didn't really consider transferring to Syracuse? I am shocked! Come on this was never happening. Syracuse runs their offense through the wings. The only get it into the post and do work we have seen in the last 15 years was from Rak his senior year, Arinze his senior year, and Warrick. A little bit of Grant too I suppose but the lane was so jam packed because nobody could hit from outside to help space the floor.

All of my posts were what I thought was obvious sarcasm. Just me laughing at all the posts about Matt friggin’ Haarms being light years better than any big we have, and so absolutely obvious (if you’ve actually seen him play...another popular gem here, from the NBA scouts on furlough, I can only assume) that it’s not even debatable. Reminds me of the he had one more rebound than a dead guy classic. Sorry, he had 4 more.
It is just as funny as the people saying our current 5s are all of the sudden acc stars because of a few games. Clearly SU is looking for an upgrade or trying to add talent to the position. If you are all satisfied with what cuse has, get ready for another sometimes fun to watch, but subpar season.

It is a strange take to be opposed to potential contributors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom