Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I skimmed the first page and I recall one time I bought a gallon of milk but left it in my car for a day. This was in July I think.

Anyway that milk aged bit better than those takes imo.
Glad that was posted to refresh my memory. On the Jesse signing, i said "cool beans." So, i'm on the positive side of history! So, i got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Devil's advocate. Let's just say that each of them average around 15ppg. Reasonable expectation. That's 45 points. If Benny delivers the same [which is no sure thing], that's only 60 points.

"Ton" of scoring might be a stretch.
instead of trying to calculate season avgs,...

just imagine the players on the floor - for example, Joe, Judah, Benny, Taylor and Edwards - do you see that lineup struggling to get a quality shot? I dont.

Even if its just joe and jesse pick and roll...teams didnt have an answer for that in 4 game winning streak before jesse got hurt.

They'll be able to get a quality shot every time down the floor...which is all that matters.

if *gasp* the coaches could actually start scheming some offense for the personnel it could start really getting dangerous...

I think people are also chalking up zeros for the frehsman but I highly doubt that theyll all do something like that. highly.

What is this based on other than hope?

His Box Plus Minus last year was -5

he played 10 mins in only 9 games last year. Their record in those games was 0-9.

Let's deal with reality. If he's playing 10 mins a game for us and he doesn't rapidly improve, we're gonna be in trouble. ideally he plays 5 tops.
Perhaps.
But two things:

1. The Orange were looking for a back-up.
Were there better players in the portal?
Of course.
But how many wanted to come to SU as a back-up?

2. Are the stats and analytics from Duquesne really transferable?
There were other players on the court who contributed to their 6-24 record (notwithstanding the fact that Mounir played a total of 5 minutes in the 6 wins).

Perhaps.
But two things:

1. The Orange were looking for a back-up.
Were there better players in the portal?
Of course.
But how many wanted to come to SU as a back-up?

2. Are the stats and analytics from Duquesne really transferable?
There were other players on the court who contributed to their 6-24 record (notwithstanding the fact that Mounir played a total of 5 minutes in the 6 wins).
1) That's not part of my debate. I've repeatedly said "he's a big body in the zone that hopefully can play 5 mins when needed". My response was to the idea he will play 10 mins regularly and we'll be good.

2) I believe so. Good players tend to stick out. For example, Jesse's defensive numbers were good last year despite our terrible defense

Last edited:
So we have guards, and 2 point guards, thank God. I was at the UNC game we lost due to ball handling. We have a center. Who has confidence in forwards? Benny can pull a MCW. That would be great. But his freshman season was bad. Who is the other forward? Can they rebound and score? Freshman make me nervous. We have had some great ones, Who is going to step up?

So we have guards, and 2 point guards, thank God. I was at the UNC game we lost due to ball handling. We have a center. Who has confidence in forwards? Benny can pull a MCW. That would be great. But his freshman season was bad. Who is the other forward? Can they rebound and score? Freshman make me nervous. We have had some great ones, Who is going to step up?

We lost because of ball handling? We only had 11 turnovers which is pretty good considering we went to OT. Plus we had more pts off turnovers. We lost because we got the piss beat out of us on the boards and they took more than twice as many FTs.

We lost because of ball handling? We only had 11 turnovers which is pretty good considering we went to OT. Plus we had more pts off turnovers. We lost because we got the piss beat out of us on the boards and they took more than twice as many FTs.

We also couldn't defend the 3 as we struggled all year. They went 14-36 from outside.

We also couldn't defend the 3 as we struggled all year. They went 14-36 from outside.

We did well too because of Cole and went 10/25.

We actually shot better from 3 than UNC.(10-25) As Bees said rebounding was the killer - our measly 30 to their 44 rebounds. We shot better overall from inside the arc and from 3. Tough to win when UNC gets 20 free throws to our 8 and Cole fouling out too.

We actually shot better from 3 than UNC.(10-25) As Bees said rebounding was the killer - our measly 30 to their 44 rebounds. We shot better overall from inside the arc and from 3. Tough to win when UNC gets 20 free throws to our 8 and Cole fouling out too.

Rebounds certainly were a factor as they always are vs UNC. We were 142nd in 3pt fg pct defense last year at 33 pct and UNC shot 38 pct 2 pct above their season average. The game was for sure a home cooking special call wise. Still yet 14-36 from 3 was in line with our struggles defending the perimeter this past year. We hold them to our season average pct wise and we win that game most likely.

They also outscored us 18-6 on 2nd chance points. Wonder how many kickouts they had for a 3 off offensive rebounds.

instead of trying to calculate season avgs,...

just imagine the players on the floor - for example, Joe, Judah, Benny, Taylor and Edwards - do you see that lineup struggling to get a quality shot? I dont.

Even if its just joe and jesse pick and roll...teams didnt have an answer for that in 4 game winning streak before jesse got hurt.

They'll be able to get a quality shot every time down the floor...which is all that matters.

if *gasp* the coaches could actually start scheming some offense for the personnel it could start really getting dangerous...

I think people are also chalking up zeros for the frehsman but I highly doubt that theyll all do something like that. highly.

Maybe.

But your scenario is counting a lot of chickens being hatched, especially since we're going to be relying upon several unproven players.

We could very well be good next year on offense, but it isn't a fait accompli.

Maybe.

But your scenario is counting a lot of chickens being hatched, especially since we're going to be relying upon several unproven players.

The coaches wouldn't be going with the freshman forwards unless they were extremely confident in Benny, and I will trust them on that.

The coaches wouldn't be going with the freshman forwards unless they were extremely confident in Benny, and I will trust them on that.

And sometimes unexpected things happen. I'll give you a recent example, since you brought up Benny.

Benny was a 5-star recruit, who was just on the cusp of being a McD's all american caliber recruit. He reportedly was a good shooter with some versatility, and was the highest rated recruit we'd landed in nearly a decade, dating back to 2014 / Chris McCullough.

And his freshman year was an unmitigated disaster. It couldn't have been predicted, it wasn't expected, but that's how it unfolded.

Which is why relying on unproven incoming frosh is rolling the dice. Some rise to the occasion, so do not. Just the way it is.

Maybe.

i'd still like to add a grad transfer forward for the record.

but i think sometimes its better when there arent too many mouths to feed on offense. it calrifies roles and makes sure the shooters actually get theirs shots. last season, for example, many games cole didnt get enough shots. he was basically wasted with no PG while the boeheim bros gunned.

joe will be a volume shooter (which im fine with), jesse will hopefully get a ton of shots. 3rd option is up for grabs but wth judah, symir, taylor benny bunch etc one of those players will be good for that role. and probably one for 4th option as well.

so basically the forwards are like 3rd, 4th, 5th option for scoring.

i envsion the forwards as energy, defense rebounding etc...and some scoring...but not team leaders in that category. and all will be fine.

And sometimes unexpected things happen. I'll give you a recent example, since you brought up Benny.

Benny was a 5-star recruit, who was just on the cusp of being a McD's all american caliber recruit. He reportedly was a good shooter with some versatility, and was the highest rated recruit we'd landed in nearly a decade, dating back to 2014 / Chris McCullough.

And his freshman year was an unmitigated disaster. It couldn't have been predicted, it wasn't expected, but that's how it unfolded.

Which is why relying on unproven incoming frosh is rolling the dice. Some rise to the occasion, so do not. Just the way it is.
As I said, the staff is confident on Benny's being ready this year. Then they have Taylor, Bunch, Brown, JBA and Carey for the other spot. I have to think they believe one or two of those guys are going to be ready. Maybe Hima too, he has a jump shot. Those guys are quality recruits and they are going to go all out for minutes. Also, the guard position is fully loaded and they can run a three guard line up at times.

i'd still like to add a grad transfer forward for the record.

but i think sometimes its better when there arent too many mouths to feed on offense. it calrifies roles and makes sure the shooters actually get theirs shots. last season, for example, many games cole didnt get enough shots. he was basically wasted with no PG while the boeheim bros gunned.

joe will be a volume shooter (which im fine with), jesse will hopefully get a ton of shots. 3rd option is up for grabs but wth judah, symir, taylor benny bunch etc one of those players will be good for that role. and probably one for 4th option as well.

so basically the forwards are like 3rd, 4th, 5th option for scoring.

i envsion the forwards as energy, defense rebounding etc...and some scoring...but not team leaders in that category. and all will be fine.

That your premise is in lock step with CousCuse should be a massive red flag.

Yep. Benny and a frosh forward have to prove they can hit a jump shot from the perimeter with regularity. Otherwise all this talk about there being lots of good shots to go around is fools gold. If no one can hit a shot then teams will pack it in except on Joe and it will be rock fight city or getting our tails whipped all dependent on our defense.

Last edited:
Hima is a good developmental prospect extremely similar to guys we have successfully developed in this system. This is good. Bigs are much harder to find and take longer to develop. We will recruit a Big next year after Jessie starting min leave.

The one thing no one realizes is that Carey may be more of a 4 than 5. Has anyone ever stood next to him? No way he's bigger than 6'9 180lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom