Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

It would certainly be great to add Diagne to the 2017 class even if he only had 2 years left but 3 makes it even better. With all the roster space and turnover expected he would be a nice piece to have.
January 2017 enrolee? Why not ... if he gets his associates and isn't playing JUCO ball ... we certainly have front court minutes available.

January 2017 enrolee? Why not ... if he gets his associates and isn't playing JUCO ball ... we certainly have front court minutes available.

That's actually an interesting concept--the main criteria being that Diagne needs to graduate before he can transfer to a D1. Since he doesn't have a scholarship anymore, the second factor would be whether he has the means somehow to pay for his own tuition.

If he does, then he'd be smart to get a full semester of credits in this summer, and another in the fall -- positioning him to graduate in December. Then, once he'd graduated, he'd be eligible to transfer, and we could get him in maybe for a week or two in December to start practicing.

No idea how practical this option is, but it would be an interesting add, and a way to flesh out the roster. Lots of unknown factors, though.

That's actually an interesting concept--the main criteria being that Diagne needs to graduate before he can transfer to a D1. Since he doesn't have a scholarship anymore, the second factor would be whether he has the means somehow to pay for his own tuition.

If he does, then he'd be smart to get a full semester of credits in this summer, and another in the fall -- positioning him to graduate in December. Then, once he'd graduated, he'd be eligible to transfer, and we could get him in maybe for a week or two in December to start practicing.

No idea how practical this option is, but it would be an interesting add, and a way to flesh out the roster. Lots of unknown factors, though.
You're right about the unknown factors ... this kid's in the netherworld between JUCO and D-1 and I wouldn't even pretend to understand all the in's and out's. Just going with basic logic .. he's at a JUCO school and if he gets a degree, it would seem like he'd be eligible to transfer. One potential snag is the "2 year" rule for JUCO -- he has one under his belt. As for year 2 ... not sure if it's a calendar year or an academic year. If it's just 2 semesters, he might be able to satisfy the requirement this summer and fall and then join the party late December/January.

Last edited:
He looked 30 years old when we were recruiting him. Man, just imagine how old this cat will look when he finally plays D1...

I still really want him to wear orange. Gonna be seriously bummed if he goes somewhere else.

Get used to disappointment.

Gotta think that if our staff still wanted him, he'd be going to SU vs WKU.

I'm not totally convinced he ever plays Division 1 ball. I may be wrong but he sure has run into his share of roadblocks or whatever you might call it.

Well, that's a kick in the nuts.

You guys are probably right, though. If we wanted him, we'd probably get him...and that might be because he'll never be eligible. You'd have to think he'd do better than WKU if there wasn't any risk involved.

I'm not totally convinced he ever plays Division 1 ball. I may be wrong but he sure has run into his share of roadblocks or whatever you might call it.

Once he's done at the junior college, the roadblocks are done. I don't know what would stop him.

Well, that's a kick in the nuts.

You guys are probably right, though. If we wanted him, we'd probably get him...and that might be because he'll never be eligible. You'd have to think he'd do better than WKU if there wasn't any risk involved.

Eligibility probably isn't an issue. I can't imagine his grades are bad at a junior college. If the staff stopped pursuing him, it probably has more to do with the targets we have at PF/C. TT committing likely didn't help Diagne's chances.

It's a real shame because he was the player I was most excited to watch play when he was initially recruited.

He may still have a bad taste in his mouth from the whole situation. Can't really blame him if he wants to go elsewhere. I wouldn't have thought it would be Western Kentucky, though.

Eligibility probably isn't an issue. I can't imagine his grades are bad at a junior college. If the staff stopped pursuing him, it probably has more to do with the targets we have at PF/C. TT committing likely didn't help Diagne's chances.
His grades might be fine, but that doesn't mean there won't be other hoops to jump through.

There are going to be a lot of openings on this roster. I don't think the staff would shy away from a player of his caliber just because they're looking at other recruits who might come here. And Diagne will be more game ready than any incoming freshmen.

To reiterate, Western Kentucky.

It's a real shame because he was the player I was most excited to watch play when he was initially recruited.

Agreed. And it seems like a perfect 'filler" recruit to help flesh out what needs to be a large class of 2017. Oh well.

His grades might be fine, but that doesn't mean there won't be other hoops to jump through.

There are going to be a lot of openings on this roster. I don't think the staff would shy away from a player of his caliber just because they're looking at other recruits who might come here. And Diagne will be more game ready than any incoming freshmen.

Western Kentucky is by no means a blue blood, but Rick Stansbury seems to have something going down there. Just landed a five star top-15 recruit in Mitchell Robinson and were in it til the end to land Malik Newman. They're not a marquee program {yet} but they could very well be on the road to relevance under Stansbury.

What other hoops would there be? You have to be equally eligible to play at WKU as you do at SU.

Once he's done at the junior college, the roadblocks are done. I don't know what would stop him.

One would think so but after landing at JUCO in the first place and then the whole issue with declaring for the draft, it just wouldn't surprise me if something else came out of the blue. I have no clue what it could be and may very well be wrong, but just seems like he could be one of those cases. I would have loved to get him also, so trust me, nothing to do with on the court.

I think the point that some posters are making is that while WKU is willing to snag Diagne, there may still end up being issues getting him completely cleared by the NCAA to play at this level. And just the possibility of there being hold-ups may be the reason some schools are shying away from taking him.