Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

Anyone know the tuition at WKU? Diagne has to pay his own way the first year, right? That would probably take most private schools (and even a lot of public schools) out of the running, no?

Anyone know the tuition at WKU? Diagne has to pay his own way the first year, right? That would probably take most private schools (and even a lot of public schools) out of the running, no?
According to this link it's over $12,000 per semester and that's just for tuition and fees -
Tuition & Fees Schedule

SU is more than twice that
It was more than twice that when I was a freshman at Syracuse in 1996. Lol. I remember my freshman year tuition was $26,000 including dorm, etc.

I think he may keep having issues pop up because he's like 27. Just a guess. I wish him well though and man could we have used him last year.
Now that he's not here I will say there's zero chance he's high school age.

I thought he had to stay at the JC another year and pay his way there? Then he'll have a scholarship for 2 years at a D1 school. No?

So is the issue he had a bad taste in his mouth and didn't want to come to SU or that SU wasn't interested or pushing hard for him. If he didn't want to come I kind of get that but I'm surprised he picked WKU. If we didn't want him I find that strange given all the open spots we have and that we have a need for bigs.

So is the issue he had a bad taste in his mouth and didn't want to come to SU or that SU wasn't interested or pushing hard for him. If he didn't want to come I kind of get that but I'm surprised he picked WKU. If we didn't want him I find that strange given all the open spots we have and that we have a need for bigs.

I don't think that there was an "issue."

SU continued to keep tabs on him at his JUCO, and might have gotten involved with him again for the class of 2017. The problem that screwed that up was that Diagne declared for the NBA draft, which meant that he immediately lost all junior college eligibility, per the rules [it's a dumb rule, but it is what it is]. Which in turn then created a bigger problem, because Diagne needs to graduate with an associates degree to even gain eligibility to play at the D1 level. Losing his JUCO scholarship meant that he'd have to pay his own way through school to get the associates degree, which would unlock his ability to play D1.

I think somebody posted that WKU costs something like $12K per semester. Astronomically lower than what SU costs. So, I'm sure that paying his way for a year at WKU to complete that second year at a much cheaper price tag factored into his decision.

I don't think that there was an "issue."

SU continued to keep tabs on him at his JUCO, and might have gotten involved with him again for the class of 2017. The problem that screwed that up was that Diagne declared for the NBA draft, which meant that he immediately lost all junior college eligibility, per the rules [it's a dumb rule, but it is what it is]. Which in turn then created a bigger problem, because Diagne needs to graduate with an associates degree to even gain eligibility to play at the D1 level. Losing his JUCO scholarship meant that he'd have to pay his own way through school to get the associates degree, which would unlock his ability to play D1.

I think somebody posted that WKU costs something like $12K per semester. Astronomically lower than what SU costs. So, I'm sure that paying his way for a year at WKU to complete that second year at a much cheaper price tag factored into his decision.
Why wouldn't he just pay is own way through a community college instead of doing it at a larger school. There are CC for less than 12k a year. Then he would have 3 years of eligibility. I may be wrong about this.

Why wouldn't he just pay is own way through a community college instead of doing it at a larger school. There are CC for less than 12k a year. Then he would have 3 years of eligibility. I may be wrong about this.

Great question. That's what was discussed back in June, when it became known that going back to JUCO wasn't an option. A lot of people felt that he might just pack it in and decide to play pro ball overseas to start earning some $$$. Others suggested [similar to your idea] that he could pay his own way and load up in the summer / fall to complete a full year's course load to graduate, and then potentially transfer here for second semester.

Looks like he went this route instead. Too bad--he had the tools to be a very good player for us. Kid really has a nice low post game, with a knack for scoring inside with either hand, which is not a common skill set anymore.

Great question. That's what was discussed back in June, when it became known that going back to JUCO wasn't an option. A lot of people felt that he might just pack it in and decide to play pro ball overseas to start earning some $$$. Others suggested [similar to your idea] that he could pay his own way and load up in the summer / fall to complete a full year's course load to graduate, and then potentially transfer here for second semester.

Looks like he went this route instead. Too bad--he had the tools to be a very good player for us. Kid really has a nice low post game, with a knack for scoring inside with either hand, which is not a common skill set anymore.
He also seemed like a smart kid to me. Didn't he speak like 7 languages or something. Kind of ironic that the NCAA chose him to go back after especially since they had to go back so far to a foreign country. I wonder if there is a case to sue them. You could take similar people that went to Syracuse for 4 years and what they are making on average over seas worth what former WKU players are making. I would love for someone to stand up to these thieving bastards.

Is there something stopping him from practicing with the team? Serious question.

Everyone...WKU currently has more 5-star verbal commitments for 2017 than we do right now. Panic button?

That picture is upsetting. I interviewed him at that game. It was May of '15 at the Mary Kline Classic. He didn't say anything of note, so I didn't use the interview. But there was no hint at the time of any issues. Can't believe what has transpired since then. What a mess.
Did he mention his grand kids in the interview?

yet somehow Seton Hall can come up with $$ for Taurean

ponderous