Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

lol
hqdefault.jpg

Something about a 9 iron, maybe pitching wedge? I forget.
veronica-vaughn-o.gif

Listen, I don't like it any better than you do but I'm not blind to the fact of how successful Cal is in what he does.
Maybe so, but we're not blind to the machine operating at Kentucky behind the scenes, which has much more to do with WWW/rappers/handlers/money people, etc.., than Cal having any special talent coaching "bigs" (or anyone else). You'd have to be an idiot to believe that all of the top players, at every position, every single year, miraculously choose a single "school" just because players think they'll get in the NBA. The league can find talented kids via any top 25 program.

But hey, at least Ky fans can sleep well knowing there will never be an academic problem. lol

Last edited:
Kentucky at this point sells itself. They offer everything we have as a selling point (Huge crowds, national exposure, etc) plus you have about a 67 percent chance of going to the final four during your one year there. What would they have to pay anyone?

The same people slamming "one and done U" are probably the same ones chastising Tyler Ennis for throwing away his "college experience."

Kentucky at this point sells itself. They offer everything we have as a selling point (Huge crowds, national exposure, etc) plus you have about a 67 percent chance of going to the final four during your one year there. What would they have to pay anyone?

The same people slamming "one and done U" are probably the same ones chastising Tyler Ennis for throwing away his "college experience."
I'm not slamming anyone, and the whole '1/done' thing is a different discussion. I was just pointing out that it's a bit unrealistic to think that all these top recruits are choosing a single program supposedly "to get to the league" .. when obviously they can get there with a couple dozen other programs. TE is actually a perfect example .. he didn't need to go to Ky to get noticed. Neither did Jabari Parker, or Embid, or Gordon or Wiggins, etcc. lol

Now if you argued that, at Ky that a recruit can get to the league AND NOT GO TO ANY CLASSES, then you might be on to something.

Last edited:
reedny said:
I'm not slamming anyone, just pointing out that it's a bit unrealistic to think that all these top recruits are choosing a single school to get to the league .. when obviously they can get there with many other programs. Now if you said that, at Ky that could get to the league AND NOT GO TO ANY CLASSES, then you might be on to something.
Hey i never told you but nice to meet you at the tailgate from a few years ago. Better late than never i guess.

Hey i never told you but nice to meet you at the tailgate from a few years ago. Better late than never i guess.
Oh, same, bro. It was great meeting you as well. A down year for FB, but the 'Gate is always super fun... great people, and I learn a lot about the game.

I'm not slamming anyone, just pointing out that it's a bit unrealistic to think that all these top recruits are choosing a single school to get to the league .. when obviously they can get there with many other programs. TE is a perfect example .. he didn't need to go to Ky to get noticed. How about Jabari Parker -- did he have to go to kentucky? lol

Now if you argued that, at Ky that a recruit can get to the league AND NOT GO TO ANY CLASSES, then you might be on to something.

Some of his less regarded players have gotten drafted too ie Josh Harrelson, Darius Miller, and Deandre Liggins.

When Kentucky produces multiple first rounders every year, it creates a powerful perception. Then add to that a coach who goes to the draft, who goes on TV saying the most important thing to him is getting his kids drafted (true or not). Kids eat that up.

Oh, also, they go to the final four about every other year.

Some of his less regarded players have gotten drafted too ie Josh Harrelson, Darius Miller, and Deandre Liggins.

When Kentucky produces multiple first rounders every year, it creates a powerful perception. Then add to that a coach who goes to the draft, who goes on TV saying the most important thing to him is getting his kids drafted (true or not). Kids eat that up.

meh, i don't buy it. not for a minute. you're basically arguing that Ky kids have an advantage just b/c they go there -- which is nonsense. If anything, as an NBA scout I'd take a smarter kid who goes to class at Duke or Syracuse or Michigan .. over a kid that has no interest/capacity for academic instruction at Ky.

Do you honestly think that all these recruits believe that Wiggins or Parker or Gordon, et al, wouldn't get drafted, or would be taken later, because they didn't choose Kentucky?

Last edited:
If anything, as an NBA scout I'd take a smarter kid who goes to class at Duke or Syracuse or Michigan .. over a kid that has no interest/capacity for academic instruction at Ky.

Good thing you're not. If you believed this in 2012, you'd be out of a job.

meh, i don't buy it. not for a minute. you're basically arguing that Ky kids have an advantage just b/c they go there -- which is nonsense. If anything, as an NBA scout I'd take a smarter kid who goes to class at Duke or Syracuse or Michigan .. over a kid that has no interest/capacity for academic instruction at Ky.

Do you honestly think that all these recruits believe that Wiggins or Parker or Gordon, et al, wouldn't get drafted, or would be taken later, because they didn't choose Kentucky?

Totally agree with this. And despite all the media stuff regarding the NCAA - the scouts know why these kids are going to UK. Calipari is a smart businessman who also moonlights as a slimy college bball coach. As a top recruit UK has become the easy route into the pros. It is a sweet setup, they have a former power player who worked for the NCAA's team that goes after cheater and the fan base is huge. It is an easy sell. The sheer fact they land more top prospects leads to more draft picks. It does not persuade NBA GM's to be more likely to draft a blue chip UK player before a blue chipper from any other school.

This powerful perception is a fan perception not a professional perception. They are looking much deeper than just who these kids play for. Maybe that gets a kid a look in the 2nd round but that would apply to any successful P5 team.

This powerful perception is a fan perception not a professional perception. They are looking much deeper than just who these kids play for. Maybe that gets a kid a look in the 2nd round but that would apply to any successful P5 team.

I'm talking about the perception of a recruit. Not a scout, GM, or organization. I don't think it makes a difference where those kids go to school.

I'm talking about the perception of a recruit. Not a scout, GM, or organization. I don't think it makes a difference where those kids go to school.

I spoke to that as well. The kids that want an easy route through are more likely to pick UK but that easy route no doubt includes " additional benefits". It would be a lie to say any major program is innocent of its wealthy alums throwing stuff at recruits/players but Cal has taken it to a new level essentially acting as a middle man from amateur to professional status. Coaching is his dayjob and will continue to be given he has a 30,000 foot thick blue steel wall between he and the NCAA. His comments on the politics and the revenue for athletes speaks to what he really is and that is a psuedo agent. He has the perfect venue to do so with UK who has the resources to create that halo to keep things clean and out of sight. He has the connections, and of course the legacy. Tubby Smith and Billy Gillespie did nothing with this program that sells itself. He finally has an organization powerful enough to put winning over all other things as well as keep things clean in the paperwork. So to say he isn't gaming the system and providing improper benefits is egregious. He just can ensure it is never found.. for now at least.

I spoke to that as well. The kids that want an easy route through are more likely to pick UK but that easy route no doubt includes " additional benefits". It would be a lie to say any major program is innocent of its wealthy alums throwing stuff at recruits/players but Cal has taken it to a new level essentially acting as a middle man from amateur to professional status. Coaching is his dayjob and will continue to be given he has a 30,000 foot thick blue steel wall between he and the NCAA. His comments on the politics and the revenue for athletes speaks to what he really is and that is a psuedo agent. He has the perfect venue to do so with UK who has the resources to create that halo to keep things clean and out of sight. He has the connections, and of course the legacy. Tubby Smith and Billy Gillespie did nothing with this program that sells itself. He finally has an organization powerful enough to put winning over all other things as well as keep things clean in the paperwork. So to say he isn't gaming the system and providing improper benefits is egregious. He just can ensure it is never found.. for now at least.

"We have plenty of heresay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence."

th

Also, part of your argument appears to be that John Calipari is not a better coach than Tubby Smith or BCG.

Totally agree with this. And despite all the media stuff regarding the NCAA - the scouts know why these kids are going to UK. Calipari is a smart businessman who also moonlights as a slimy college bball coach. As a top recruit UK has become the easy route into the pros. It is a sweet setup, they have a former power player who worked for the NCAA's team that goes after cheater and the fan base is huge. It is an easy sell. The sheer fact they land more top prospects leads to more draft picks. It does not persuade NBA GM's to be more likely to draft a blue chip UK player before a blue chipper from any other school.[The NBA knows full well who the"slimy" coaches are and probably use that fact to their advantage.It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is actual under the table activity involving these "business men" If the IRS were to conduct a hard investigation there would lots of s'plaining to do. The problem is that Kentucky probably pays this guy a ton of money making it more difficult to spot extra income. the fact is that the more a person like this makes the easier it is to hide the extra stuff coming his way or anyone's for that matter. Off shore investing adds to the problem.

"We have plenty of heresay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence."

th

Here say and conjecture? How about knowing several former D1 hoops players who are not shy about receiving benefits or better yet having dealt in person with a former Cal recruit which I have posted multiple times on here? Nice well thought out response. Good day to you sir.

Last edited:
Also, part of your argument appears to be that John Calipari is not a better coach than Tubby Smith or BCG.

No that is you reaching for straws bud. Not even in the slightest was that my point. You said UK sells itself. I am saying if that is the case.. then Tubby or BG should have had no issue bringing in the same kind of talent. But carry on. You are on a roll.

Well, the Chicago Sun had enough info to PRINT that Anthony Davis received $200k.
Kentucky has ALWAYS paid players. ALWAYS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom