Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

One of my concerns with Bryant's recruitment is perception. On top of all the NCAA stuff, I'd hate to get the label of having SU "running players off" to make room for better recruits. Would winning more overshadow that possible shroud?

One of my concerns with Bryant's recruitment is perception. On top of all the NCAA stuff, I'd hate to get the label of having SU "running players off" to make room for better recruits. Would winning more overshadow that possible shroud?

At this point, we have to maximize the strategic value of the players on our roster. If it requires having frank conversations with a few players in order to land Bryant, I'm in favor of that occurring. Keep in mind that at times, transfers can be mutually beneficial if the outbound player can get more PT elsewhere.

Reactions: 007
I'm not a big fan of encouraging players to transfer, and obviously it won't look good for us initially, but...if we make a Final Four run with Thomas Bryant...who the hell is going to remember or care how we got him?

I feel like, if we get TB to commit, the NCAA be like this guy in the grey shirt

200.gif
There is so much going right in that gif I can't even stand it.

I'm not a big fan of encouraging players to transfer, and obviously it won't look good for us initially, but...if we make a Final Four run with Thomas Bryant...who the hell is going to remember or care how we got him?
not unlike the 2002 post season, when the staff found landing spots for Deshaun Williams, James Thues & Greg Davis. We didn't need the scholarship slots that year, but it cleared the decks for three big upgrades to join the team

The penalties (including loss of scholarships) don't go into effect until after an appeal is ruled on ... if one is filed. The timeline for an appeal is 110 days, and I think the filing deadline is march 21st.

If there is an appeal, which most of us would probably support, that means that the scholarship penalties would not apply until sometime after July. By then we could well have made a financial arrangement with TB if one of our current players leaves and creates an opening. That would allow TB to sign within the 13 scholarship limit, and would seem to be permissible IF the sanctions don't begin until the 2016-17 season.

This kicks the can down the road and creates problems for the 16-17 class. Whether we keep the current team (minus Rak) or we loose one player and add TB, we have 13 minus 2 seniors after 15-16 (TC and G). That will put us at 11 after the 15-16 season (again, assuming the roster stays the same or one player leaves but we add TB). That would mean that after next season, i.e., for 16-17, another scholarship player would also have to leave to get us back to the reduced limit - 10. However, CM jumping to the NBA after next season seems likely in this context. So there is some hope, but a lot to consider and plan for.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...etball_program_to_get_to_10_scholarships.html

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse

Well said...

2016-17 under the scenario we get some kids we have always wanted.

Need to get to 10 ships

TC, MG, CM, and perhaps DC leave
Moyer, Battle come gets us to 10.

Someone else would need to leave for TB to come this year.

This also assumes we don't get any relief from an appeal.

Really? I think Francis said that while he projects as a 3, he could easily be a stretch 4. Supposedly a very aggressive rebounder / shot blocker, too. Not a soft perimeter player.
This could be grist for my SF/PF campaign (Roberson) for yet another season!! (j/k, it's time to give it a rest).

Well said...

2016-17 under the scenario we get some kids we have always wanted.

Need to get to 10 ships

TC, MG, CM, and perhaps DC leave
Moyer, Battle come gets us to 10.

Someone else would need to leave for TB to come this year.

This also assumes we don't get any relief from an appeal.
Pretty hard to come up with firm numbers at this stage...but at least it's logical so far.

He's going to need to fill out a lot - say, 20 pounds - to settle into the 4 spot.

Certainly possible, but he seems to have trouble putting on weight.

Honest question is there any recruit in 2015 class you like ? Or have something good to say about.

Via twitter, Bryant supposedly drops Mizzu from list but not SU (or iu or uk). I love the ps article last week that said we were done w TB lol

If accurate that is a great sign for us. I think IU needs to make space as does SU and SU needs to sort out the NCAA stuff although at this point I'm fairly certain that we can sign Bryant as soon as we file an official appeal because it puts a hold on the scholarship penalty at that point.

CuseHulk said:
Honest question is there any recruit in 2015 class you like ? Or have something good to say about.
CuseHulk, I've seen him play twice. Have you seen him play in person? He needs to bulk up some more. Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it looks like we have been forced to move on. This is terrible. Most of us have been following Bryant since he was in 9th grade, assuming he would eventually be wearing a Syracuse jersey. Part of me is pissed he didn't commit earlier, but it's not his fault all this stuff happened.

I wonder why anomander wrote that "it looks like we have been forced to move on." Was this his gut... or something he heard from a source?:noidea: This sounded pretty definitive. Maybe he could clarify.

jordoo said:
I agree that it is a clear as day that he will need to put on some muscle. That's no discount to his skills or effort its just obvious.

Agree. I think he has great skills. Fine all around player with a huge upside. He's a program player who will develop greatly during his time at SU as his body matures.

I agree that it is a clear as day that he will need to put on some muscle. That's no discount to his skills or effort its just obvious.

How about Bryant? I've seen him in clips and he looks pretty well built. There had been reports a year or two ago of him being a little doughy but I think he worked hard and shed the baby fat.

How about Bryant? I've seen him in clips and he looks pretty well built. There had been reports a year or two ago of him being a little doughy but I think he worked hard and shed the baby fat.
Isnt he giving up like (edit) 10-20 lbs to Diagne despite being an inch or two taller. I love TB, would love to have him as a freshman or esp as a soph but i dont get the sense his body is quite as college ready as Diagne or Richardson?

Last edited:

I don't think he will struggle physically from a strength standpoint next season although IMO Diange is still better built right now than Bryant although Bryant has a better basketball frame. Wow if landed Bryant to go with Coleman and Diange those are 3 guys who aren't going to get moved around much in the paint.

Isnt he giving up like 20-30 lbs to Diagne despite being an inch or two taller. I love TB, would love to have him as a freshman or esp as a soph but i dont get the sense his body is quite as college ready as Diagne or Richardson?

I agree that Diange is more physically ready but Bryant has come a long way since he went the prep rout and is not going to be physically over matched in a majority of match ups at the college level. Yes there will be a handful of guys who may be able to take advantage of him in this way but a vast majority will not IMO.

Isnt he giving up like 20-30 lbs to Diagne despite being an inch or two taller. I love TB, would love to have him as a freshman or esp as a soph but i dont get the sense his body is quite as college ready as Diagne or Richardson?

Bryant could probably put on some muscle but he doesn't look too thin to me. Comparing his physique to Diagne is a bit unfair; Diagne is extremely muscular and thick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom