Class of 2019 - C Qudus Wahab (VA) to Georgetown | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Qudus Wahab (VA) to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not feeling overly optimistic here. Which is kind of a bummer, we could really use a man like Wahab.

So, assuming this doesn't go our way, and we miss on Stewart, are we at least going to get Carrigan?

JBA seems like a nice piece for down the road, but we need somebody who can step in and contribute at least a little bit next year, since Chewie will likely have moved on, and we'll only have Sidibe as a true center, and his knees still seem to be a concern.

Not feeling overly optimistic here. Which is kind of a bummer, we could really use a man like Wahab.

So, assuming this doesn't go our way, and we miss on Stewart, are we at least going to get Carrigan?

JBA seems like a nice piece for down the road, but we need somebody who can step in and contribute at least a little bit next year, since Chewie will likely have moved on, and we'll only have Sidibe as a true center, and his knees still seem to be a concern.

Let me ask a precursor question -- is there any evidence that we're actively recruiting Carrigan?

Overly? I wouldn’t be optimistic at all

Let me ask a precursor question -- is there any evidence that we're actively recruiting Carrigan?
Eh, about as much evidence as UCONN had that Akok was committing 5 different times.

Boy does that article say it all...very frustrating. Guess we're all about to find out how serious all this carrigan stuff has been. Have we actively been recruiting him or has it all been smoke for awhile coming out of his camp trying to get some intrest drummed up.

Other than the offer?

I saw it alluded that we were back involved about two months ago, then not much substantive to back that up.

Which is why I'm asking the question.

It is entirely possible that Carrigan is the fall back option for the staff, behind Wahab. So maybe things will heat up now that it doesn't appear things are going to fall our way with QW. But beyond board speculation -- haven't seen much to indicate that we're actively involved.

I saw it alluded that we were back involved about two months ago, then not much substantive to back that up.

Which is why I'm asking the question.

It is entirely possible that Carrigan is the fall back option for the staff, behind Wahab. So maybe things will heat up now that it doesn't appear things are going to fall our way with QW. But beyond board speculation -- haven't seen much to indicate that we're actively involved.
Prioritization as you allude to

Apparently JBA is and was the top C target and priority according to some. That would be a shock and quite frankly sad considering he’s a bit of a project and nobody knows about Sidibe’s long term prognosis with his knees. We need immediate help scoring the ball at the 5 and cannot afford to wait on developmental beanpole bigs in today’s game of basketball, IMO.

Maybe finding a grad transfer is our most realistic option at C? Bring in someone who can start next year, or at least split time with/offer insurance for Sidibe.

Prioritization as you allude to

If that's the case, then the coaching staff played this situation perfectly. They prioritized the HS kid they'd targeted [Wahab], and didn't waver on that even as we got past the November signing date, and they're seeing how things play out.

And if QW doesn't swing our way, Carrigan is a heckuva consolation prize as a great system fit who will come in a bit more physically mature and experienced than most frosh.

Bravo to JB and staff if that's how it works out.

If that's the case, then the coaching staff played this situation perfectly. They prioritized the HS kid they'd targeted [Wahab], and didn't waver on that even as we got past the November signing date, and they're seeing how things play out.

And if QW doesn't swing our way, Carrigan is a heckuva consolation prize as a great system fit who will come in a bit more physically mature and experienced than most frosh.

Bravo to JB and staff if that's how it works out.

Do you honestly believe that’s the plan?

Do you honestly believe that’s the plan?

You don't?

If--per above--we've been active with Carrigan, why wouldn't we have accepted a commitment from him? We had 5 [and possibly more] open slots to fill, and Carrigan himself indcated that he's "basically committed" several months ago.

I asked above if we were active with him. Several posters confirmed that we were. So, it stands to reason that for the staff, he's a lower priority than Wahab was, and that we're waiting out how that turns out before we make Carrigan's offer committable. Sounds like that's indeed the plan.

You don't?

If--per above--we've been active with Carrigan, why wouldn't we have accepted a commitment from him? We had 5 [and possibly more] open slots to fill, and Carrigan himself indcated that he's "basically committed" several months ago.

I asked above if we were active with him. Several posters confirmed that we were. So, it stands to reason that for the staff, he's a lower priority than Wahab was, and that we're waiting out how that turns out before we make Carrigan's offer committable. Sounds like that's indeed the plan.

It is interesting because if Syracuse has a “silent commitment” from Carrigan but is waiting for either Isiah Stewart or Qudus Wahab to make a decision it could backfire on them.

It is the proverbial “One in the hand is worth two in the bush”. Should Syracuse take Carrigan or risk the chance of losing him by waiting for Stewart and Wahab to decide?

There is still a chance that Syracuse could get one of these two recruits.

It also parallels to a degree the Julius Hodge - Hakim Warrick scenario where Warrick waited to see if Hodge took the last remaining SU scholarship that year. When he didn’t, the rest was history.

Like I said, this could be interesting (or it could be nothing).

Last edited:
I recall, some months ago, SU Dreaming alluding to a mystery big we were recruiting that did not have a thread here. Has anything developed on that front? Or am I remembering it wrong?

It is interesting because if Syracuse has a “silent commitment” from Carrigan but is waiting for either Isiah Stewart or Qudus Wahab to make a decision it could backfire on them.

It is the proverbial “One in the hand is worth two in the bush”. Should Syracuse take Carrigan or risk the chance of losing him by waiting for Stewart and Wahab to decide?

There is still a chance that Syracuse could get one of these two recruits.

It also parallels to a degree the Julius Hodge - Hakim Warrick scenario where Warrick waited to see if Hodge took the last remaining SU scholarship that year. When he didn’t, the rest was history.

Like I said, this could be interesting (or it could be nothing).

In reference to that philosophy, since it appears, based on several posters here, that Carrigan can help us much sooner than another project bean pole in JBA, maybe JBA should've been the one given the holding pattern? With PC able to come back next year, as well as Sidibe, the status quo remains a constant at worst with or without JBA, and seemingly better off in the immediate future with Carrigan.

In reference to that philosophy, since it appears, based on several posters here, that Carrigan can help us much sooner than another project bean pole in JBA, maybe JBA should've been the one given the holding pattern? With PC able to come back next year, as well as Sidibe, the status quo remains a constant at worst with or without JBA, and seemingly better off in the immediate future with Carrigan.
No, I believe Carrigan wants immediate PT. I think he is a transfer with 2 years left. JBA is projected to contribute 2-3 years out. Totally different scenarios.
And I would think Carrigan does not want to go where Stewart or Wahab go, that would impede his PT. So, Carrigan will wait it out, whereas JBA obviously didn't.

Sidibe is being sold short. He displayed advanced offensive skills in limited time when his injury allowed him mobility last year. He has definitely been slow to round back into form and there are still questions about his defensive play, but he has the potential to be excellent. We shouldn't discount what 12 months of improvement looks like for him when we estimate the center for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom