Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

All of these schools who are offering must know a little more about his potential than a couple of guys on the internet. I would think...
You can't teach height. What coach is not going to take a hard look at a 7 footer. Especially one not a bean pole.

Well would ya look at that... :rolleyes:

Betting he wants to stick around cuse and be around his family/mom. He has lots of friends around here as well.

Really enjoyed this thread. Someone saying something is possible and getting crapped on by a bunch of people then that thing happens shortly thereafter.

It doesn’t make sense to me at all, but we will see.
There was a interview this year (I cant recall who it was but it might have been griff)( *edit* it was JB) about needing to add beef in the center and get some bigger bodies. This is our staff addressing that problem that we have had for a long time now. It makes sense but at the same time I kinda understand where ur coming from. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
don't get it but trust the staff
better him than haarms anyway, afaiac

There was a interview this year (I cant recall who it was but it might have been griff) about needing to add beef in the center and get some bigger bodies. This is our staff addressing that problem that we have had for a long time now. It makes sense but at the same time I kinda understand where ur coming from. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
I’m not really sure the issue people have here.

- Morgan wasn’t going to leave the west coast
- Haarms wasn’t going to come here, period
- we haven’t been linked to any centers in 2021 besides Mac and I guess Kepnag possibly. There’s Hutchins-Everett too, but again, not strongly linked to us
- our only 2022 offer is Clingan
- people complain about our thin centers but then the staff offers a kid who’s 250 and apparently has complimentary skill set to Edwards/JBA, but people are still not happy.

If the staff felt good about any of the 2021 centers, it’s unlikely they make this offer. At this point the staff clearly thinks this kid can help us and appears to be different than any player they have on the roster currently. I don’t think this is a waste of an offer, they’re not gonna throw away a scholarship for 4yrs for no reason. This also might enable us to redshirt Edwards (or this kid). Like I said earlier, the staff is clearly going to mix and match at the 5 next year, and hope 2 of Edwards/JBA/Q can play, or Dior can bring someone with him in 2022.

FSU and Maryland have had good bigs lately, I doubt they offer this kid for no reason

Kinda long but not long everyone has a ton to do right now. Somewhat recent game footage of him. Looks halfway decent shooting foul shots. Pretty active. Definitely had nice size.

I see some stuff i like.
Size. Unteachable. Discourages a lot of challenges where one of our slender fellows would get hacked.
Finishes simply around the rim. No wasted moves. Efficient.
Shot blocker. Challenges shots vertically. Doesn't assume the first challenge is the end of the play.
Moves pretty well. Decently quick feet, relatively.
Just toss it near the rim. He'll oop it.

Seems like a guy who could be decent at the beginning, and then really develop into a force. If he has the head for it and the will.

His free throw, though—something's wonky. It's like a one-hander. Seems to un-involve his left hand very early.

We lost at least 4 games because our bigs were either dominated or fouled out while being out played.

He is bigger than any of our centers and probably has more hops.

To improve our defense we had to get bigger, if look at the guys who left 3 guards 6'-3" and under plus Hughes at 6'-6".

The guys coming in 6'-6" Kadary; 6'-8" Newton; 6'-5" Griffin; and just offered 7'-0" 246lb.

So not only did we get bigger and more athletic we only lost one player who played.

Our offense will be fine next year and hopefully we have addressed our defense with these moves.

Well, getting Ballard as a project will probably limit the opportunity to get Morgan, Ettienne, or Clingnan. May.cause Edwards or AJak to consider transferring because Ballard would be in direct competition with for minutes in their junior and senior years. Still not sure that Ballard is D-1 caliber. Only saw a tape where he is playing with and against very small players.

PHR: You received a big offer from Florida State. How did you hear about the offer and what did the staff have to say?

Ballard: “Wow, Florida State made it out just to me just in time before the pandemic hit us. They watched me perform and were amazed. It certainly felt great again to be seen and to be told: “you got it.” They reached out the next day and it took off from there.”

Also, this

Ballard has no composite ranking right now as he only starting playing organized basketball a few years ago. It’s a solid offer at this stage in the game, and Hamilton and staff have proven they can evaluate and develop talent.

Just sounds like this kid hasn’t had much exposure. Ja Morant played with Zion and still only got 1 offer

I’m not really sure the issue people have here.

- Morgan wasn’t going to leave the west coast
- Haarms wasn’t going to come here, period
- we haven’t been linked to any centers in 2021 besides Mac and I guess Kepnag possibly. There’s Hutchins-Everett too, but again, not strongly linked to us
- our only 2022 offer is Clingan
- people complain about our thin centers but then the staff offers a kid who’s 250 and apparently has complimentary skill set to Edwards/JBA, but people are still not happy.

If the staff felt good about any of the 2021 centers, it’s unlikely they make this offer. At this point the staff clearly thinks this kid can help us and appears to be different than any player they have on the roster currently. I don’t think this is a waste of an offer, they’re not gonna throw away a scholarship for 4yrs for no reason. This also might enable us to redshirt Edwards (or this kid). Like I said earlier, the staff is clearly going to mix and match at the 5 next year, and hope 2 of Edwards/JBA/Q can play, or Dior can bring someone with him in 2022.

FSU and Maryland have had good bigs lately, I doubt they offer this kid for no reason
With Sidibe and Marek graduating next year we should still be going after a center in 2021, someone who can play the 4 or 5 would be great