Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

Yeah- if a beefier center not making it fast enough to the corner is a problem it is what it is. Given our recent stretch of skinnier 5s this would be an addition where rotating defenses would make sense... even if only just the 1-1-3 adjustment vs playing mtm.
How about we adapt to our players and not play zone we know we’re not equipped for

Pass Over Jewish People GIF by Hello All

You know Syracuse struck lightning last year with 3 former recruits in Boeheim Jr, Swider and Torrence.
Just maybe they could do it at least one more time with either one from BH-H, Akok or Ballard.

I am sure we each have preferences on which one is selected. Whichever player selected would potentially be the seventh or eighth man on the team if not lower.

Akok Akok is not the player he was in high school due to injuries. BH-H has potential but the 30 minutes plus playing time comment may bring chemistry issues. Ballard brings weight and height but did not show much at FSU.

Last edited:
You know Syracuse struck lightning last year with 3 former recruits in Boeheim Jr, Swider and Torrence.
Just maybe they could do it at least one more time with either one from BH-H, Akok or Ballard.

I am sure we each have preferences on which one is selected. Whichever player selected would potentially be the seventh or eighth man on the team if not lower.

Akok Akok is not the player he was in high school due to injuries. BH-H has potential but the 30 minutes plus playing time comment may bring chemistry issues. Ballard brings weight and height but did not show much at FSU.

5.2 blocks per 40 minutes last year.

Not trying to sound cruel, but I think Jimmy hurt us more on defense than he helped on offense. Cole was ok until late in the season, where he shined. Symir hardly played. Symir has a chance to be the most helpful of the transfers.

Not trying to sound cruel, but I think Jimmy hurt us more on defense than he helped on offense. Cole was ok until late in the season, where he shined. Symir hardly played. Symir has a chance to be the most helpful of the transfers.

0.5 DWS, which, amazingly, was good enough for third on the team (tied with Girard). Bested only by Edwards and Swider tied at 0.8. Clearly we didn’t win much (with our defense) generally.

Jimmy was good for a 2.8 BPM (-0.5 DBPM), though, so box score stats say his offense helped more than it hurt.

Swider gave us 3.4 WS, 4.6 BPM (0.5 DBPM).

Torrence played about 1/3 of the minutes the other two did, and ~20% of those came in the last 2 games (where he played admirably for 35mpg vs. ~11mpg in spurts the other 28 games he played). The season numbers are funky but not good.

If anyone knows a site that gives CBB VORP or similar, please advise.

0.5 DWS, which, amazingly, was good enough for third on the team (tied with Girard). Bested only by Edwards and Swider tied at 0.8. Clearly we didn’t win much (with our defense) generally.

Jimmy was good for a 2.8 BPM (-0.5 DBPM), though, so box score stats say his offense helped more than it hurt.

Swider gave us 3.4 WS, 4.6 BPM (0.5 DBPM).

Torrence played about 1/3 of the minutes the other two did, and ~20% of those came in the last 2 games (where he played admirably for 35mpg vs. ~11mpg in spurts the other 28 games he played). The season numbers are funky but not good.

If anyone knows a site that gives CBB VORP or similar, please advise.
Jimmy was our worst defender and not debatable. I don’t care what kind of stats are out there.

Last edited:
Jimmy was out worst defender and not debatable. I don’t care what kind of stats are out there.

Buddy was our worst defender, and I won’t take no for an answer. Jimmy was better by the slimmest of margins, and Girard was right behind.

Buddy and Joe up top were terrible. Jimmy totally outmatched.
JB new we had to win by outscoring teams and unfortunately it didn’t work out well.

Buddy was our worst defender, and I won’t take no for an answer. Jimmy was better by the slimmest of margins, and Girard was right behind.
I’ll give Buddy 2nd. But Jimmy’s lack of foot speed was scary. Looked like he had ice skates on and couldn’t stop and cut in the required direction.

DBPM rank for non centers

Swider
Girard
Buddy
Symir
Benny
Jimmy

I inadvertently put my thumb on the scale - I had moved on to looking at per 100 defensive rating.

Edwards 102.7
Swider 108.7
Girard 111.5
Jimmy 111.7
Buddy 112.4

I mean, they both were kind of spectacularly bad defensively, but Buddy had the team’s worst defensive rating four straight years.

Edit: My real points in my previous posts in this thread are: (1) Quincy Ballard is worth a scholarship for size, fouls and practice alone, (2) last year’s team was near historically bad defensively, and somebody has to be the worst. I will add to the first by saying Ballard led (with next to no minutes played at under 100) FSU in DBPM and was near the top in defensive rating. I still believe he’s a worthwhile scholarship flyer for defense alone over the next couple/few years with his size.

Last edited:
Tomorrow at noon.

Judging off his latest follows on IG, I’d say it’s a done deal.
95FA6BBE-832B-4669-AC43-E2292342CECF.png

Last edited by a moderator: