Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

What happened to that program?

Final four in 2013, poised to take over #1 in 2014... until we ruined that with Ennis's last second shot from halfcourt to defeat Pitt.

Then they dropped off a cliff, issues with the coach, etc.

Don't recall seeing a program rise to that level and then drop off so sharply with the same coach.
Um google Greg Marshall…it’s wild

So just for the sake of "what if" discussion - what if Anselem decides Syracuse is the place for him? Is the staff and Ballard in wait-and-see mode with that?

So just for the sake of "what if" discussion - what if Anselem decides Syracuse is the place for him? Is the staff and Ballard in wait-and-see mode with that?
Once Frank had the talk with the coaches, I’m guessing the coaches told him there was no way they could wait around to find out. So you go with the first best option to commit. If that’s Frank, so be it. I’m guessing it’s not.

Well if im wrong and Ballard turns out to nothing more than a Cat rescuer...
More likely that happens than him becoming a “star”. Which is the only reason I said anything.

Well I think Q is a good basketball player, I do not think it is wise for him to take up the last scholarship, especially this early into the transfer portal season. If Bol or Chaz were transferring, then I’d be all for it. But, when you look at who we are losing off our roster from last season, 3 out of the 5 main scorer’s are gone and one is coming off an injury. Granted it was a wrist injury, but it showed the importance of having reliable depth at C. While Anselem had his moments and I think they would have helped him develop into a more solid contributor off the bench in year 3, he struggled at times which allowed teams to expose holes in the zone. Thinking forward to the next season, do we really want a C who has already played 2 seasons in the ACC without really putting up impressive numbers? I know the argument is that he didn’t get much playing time and while that argument would make sense for a team ran by Boeheim, it doesn’t really make sense for a coach known to play most of his scholarship players and who favors 7 footers. To me, it just seems like he may have not gotten the playing time because he wasn’t good enough. If he does end up taking the last scholarship then I’m extremely worried if god forbid Jesse goes down with another injury or is in extended foul trouble, then he has to step up and be the main C. There’s a learning curve to the zone and while some transfers can pick it up quick, I just haven’t seen Q display the basketball IQ that most of the successful transfers have. If Carey doesn’t redshirt and can be an effective 3rd string then I might be ok with it. I hope Bol can stay healthy but at this point with what he’s displayed when healthy, I’m not sure its safe to expect much out of him. With so much offense gone and Boeheim bringing in such a large class of freshmen having to learn the zone, I just feel like replacing Cole’s offensive production should’ve been the priority. If Boeheim does magically start playing man like he claims he will then we probably don’t have much of a problem withe the freshmen but until I see it with my own eyes, I won’t bank on that happening. In my opinion getting a stretch 4 with some beef on them would be the best option. Guys like Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, someone who can hit the three, but can also slide over to C for backup mins while we wait for Carey to develop. I wish there were more like him out with another season under their belt, but there could always be someone new down the line. There are guys out there who are willing to come in and play 10-15 mins who are more likely to contribute in year one. All I’m saying is I feel uneasy about this resulting in what we’ve had trouble with in the past. I hope I’m wrong because I’d love to see another hometown kid be successful. I love the potential of next years roster but I also keep in mind that Boeheim traditionally doesn’t play freshmen because “they’re not ready” or need to add weight and with him needing to rely on most of them to some degree next year, we better hope some of their struggles (Taylor, Bunch, and Carey) can be resolved by the season. I think Benny finds his shot and is a major contributor next year but I don’t even want to think about the scenario where he’s also not ready.

All five of our original recruits in this class, (pre-Mintz) could probably play forward and when you add in Benny and John Bol that's 7 guys who could fill those spots. I'd be willing to bet we can get two good forwards out of that group to go with what should be a top center and stellar backcourt.

Well I think Q is a good basketball player, I do not think it is wise for him to take up the last scholarship, especially this early into the transfer portal season. If Bol or Chaz were transferring, then I’d be all for it. But, when you look at who we are losing off our roster from last season, 3 out of the 5 main scorer’s are gone and one is coming off an injury. Granted it was a wrist injury, but it showed the importance of having reliable depth at C. While Anselem had his moments and I think they would have helped him develop into a more solid contributor off the bench in year 3, he struggled at times which allowed teams to expose holes in the zone. Thinking forward to the next season, do we really want a C who has already played 2 seasons in the ACC without really putting up impressive numbers? I know the argument is that he didn’t get much playing time and while that argument would make sense for a team ran by Boeheim, it doesn’t really make sense for a coach known to play most of his scholarship players and who favors 7 footers. To me, it just seems like he may have not gotten the playing time because he wasn’t good enough. If he does end up taking the last scholarship then I’m extremely worried if god forbid Jesse goes down with another injury or is in extended foul trouble, then he has to step up and be the main C. There’s a learning curve to the zone and while some transfers can pick it up quick, I just haven’t seen Q display the basketball IQ that most of the successful transfers have. If Carey doesn’t redshirt and can be an effective 3rd string then I might be ok with it. I hope Bol can stay healthy but at this point with what he’s displayed when healthy, I’m not sure its safe to expect much out of him. With so much offense gone and Boeheim bringing in such a large class of freshmen having to learn the zone, I just feel like replacing Cole’s offensive production should’ve been the priority. If Boeheim does magically start playing man like he claims he will then we probably don’t have much of a problem withe the freshmen but until I see it with my own eyes, I won’t bank on that happening. In my opinion getting a stretch 4 with some beef on them would be the best option. Guys like Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, someone who can hit the three, but can also slide over to C for backup mins while we wait for Carey to develop. I wish there were more like him out with another season under their belt, but there could always be someone new down the line. There are guys out there who are willing to come in and play 10-15 mins who are more likely to contribute in year one. All I’m saying is I feel uneasy about this resulting in what we’ve had trouble with in the past. I hope I’m wrong because I’d love to see another hometown kid be successful. I love the potential of next years roster but I also keep in mind that Boeheim traditionally doesn’t play freshmen because “they’re not ready” or need to add weight and with him needing to rely on most of them to some degree next year, we better hope some of their struggles (Taylor, Bunch, and Carey) can be resolved by the season. I think Benny finds his shot and is a major contributor next year but I don’t even want to think about the scenario where he’s also not ready.
yeah-if-you-could-go-ahead-and-add-a-few-more-paragraph-breaks-thatd-be-great.jpg

Just looked at the Wichita fan board for Ballard. Looks a lot like this one. They think he'd come off the bench and is too raw. Mixed feelings about him. Seeing as Wichita also just signed a big (although a 6'8" 220lb F), I think he picks SU. I'm guessing he would only pick Wichita over SU if he were to start at Wichita. Also not hearing that SU is pounding the portal for other bigs, so the staff must think he's locked up.