Class of 2021 - C Riley Mulvey (NY) Offered | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 C Riley Mulvey (NY) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kid is in love with Iowa. I hope the staff is recognizing that and is not putting all their eggs in the Clingan basket and they have a plan C.
Iowa is underrated, IMO.

Iowa has helped develop arguably the best big man in the country right now. Aside from their lack of historical hoops success how they feature Garza is a pretty good selling point if you are Mulvey.

Iowa has helped develop arguably the best big man in the country right now. Aside from their lack of historical hoops success how they feature Garza is a pretty good selling point if you are Mulvey.

True.

Conversely, how many guys has Iowa gotten into the league over the past decade or so?

And as good a college C as Garza is, it may not translate to the NBA, so even he might end up playing Pro ball elsewhere, in spite of how good a year he is having in college.

PS - that's a pretty big "aside".
Aside from that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

We can show Riley how Lydon got drafted (and he's a MUCH closer comp to Mulvey's game than Garza is), and how Jerami is KILLING it.

True.

Conversely, how many guys has Iowa gotten into the league over the past decade or so?

And as good a college C as Garza is, it may not translate to the NBA, so even he might end up playing Pro ball elsewhere, in spite of how good a year he is having in college.

We can show Riley how Lydon got drafted (and he's a MUCH closer comp to Mulvey's game than Garza is), and how Jerami is KILLING it.

Yeah. Still bummed Lydon couldn't get it rolling same as Malichi. Both I think really failed to out the extra work in to elevate the raw talent to the next level.

True.

But will he learn how to block the corner 3 at Iowa?

Yeah. Still bummed Lydon couldn't get it rolling same as Malichi. Both I think really failed to out the extra work in to elevate the raw talent to the next level.

Eh, JB’s job is to get them in the door.

Mission Accomplished.

It’s up to them to “stick” once there.

Neither of those guys were even remotely on NBA radar before they got to Cuse.
... kinda like Mulvey.

Distance Albany, NY to Ames, Iowa:
17 hr 29 min (1,149.4 mi)
via I-90 W

Distance Albany, NY to Syracuse, NY
2 hr 13 min (145.3 mi)
via I-90 W

More than 1000 miles further. If Miley lived in Indiana, maybe.

But he doesn’t.

Game, set, match.

Distance Albany, NY to Ames, Iowa:
17 hr 29 min (1,149.4 mi)
via I-90 W

Distance Albany, NY to Syracuse, NY
2 hr 13 min (145.3 mi)
via I-90 W

More than 1000 miles further. If Miley lived in Indiana, maybe.

But he doesn’t.

Game, set, match.
Except he said he likes Iowa better.

Except he said he likes Iowa better.
This is what he actually said:

“Right now, I'd say the list for me I feel like Iowa is the top, then Syracuse, then Virginia Tech, then Yale," Mulvey said. "I feel like those are the main four that I'm thinking about."

Has he even visited Iowa?

I think when he gets closer to making his decision, and considers all the times he and his family and friends will need to make the trip back and forth, he might think differently. He has not made up his mind.

There is still hope. It is hard for kids who grew up in upstate NY, dreaming of playing for Syracuse, to pass it up. I think we have a real chance to get him.

“Right now, I'd say the list for me I feel like Iowa is the top, then Syracuse, then Virginia Tech, then Yale," Mulvey said. "I feel like those are the main four that I'm thinking about."

I think when he gets closer to making his decision, and considers all the times he and his family and friends will need to make the trip back and forth, he might think differently. He has not made up his mind.

There is still hope. It is hard for kids who grew up in upstate NY, dreaming of playing for Syracuse, to pass it up. I think we have a real chance to get him.
I think these coaches just promise the world while JAB is more realistic. It's hard to justify local kids going halfway or all the way across the country without some overriding reason.

What if they can’t attend games

What if they can’t attend games
You are thinking that 18 months from now and years beyond, parents won’t be allowed to attend games? They are already allowed to at a bunch of schools.

Wow, that is really out there.

Even if you go with this extremist theory, and the world is going to be as bad or worse than it is now that far into the future, wouldn’t you want your kids close by? Are you seriously saying you think a massive advantage in proximity becomes a non-factor in a massive pandemic?

I know you love the state of Iowa and I am happy your kid is doing well there but I don’t think the Mulveys will see it the way you do.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

We have no idea what will be. None. So far, mutations appear to be ahead of the vaccine. What will be the travel restrictions? Will they still be based upon reported cases? Who knows?
Kids go away to school. Being close to home isn’t always a big selling point. Parents can probably watch every game on TV.
If home town was important, why would he be seriously looking at Iowa?

I think these coaches just promise the world while JAB is more realistic. It's hard to justify local kids going halfway or all the way across the country without some overriding reason.
Zone is reason enough.

S
I, like Riley, don’t care about Iowa football.

For basketball last season, SU finished first in the country in attendance. Iowa finished 27th. Impressed they made the top 30.

Dr Tom Davis was a fine basketball coach.
But they don’t really have much history, nothing close to approaching Syracuse. His parents could come see him play in person every game. Plus, Fran McCaffrey is an annoying hothead.

Come on, it’s one guy. One guy. JB has been SU coach for 45 years. I think he’s developed a few guys in his time.

Come on, it’s one guy. One guy. JB has been SU coach for 45 years. I think he’s developed a few guys in his time.

Yes but think of it from the kid's perspective not an SU fan. Recency bias is what it is. We have not featured the C spot since 2015 with Rak. Lydon was playing out of position. I'm not trying to sell the kid on Iowa. Just that if you look and see how they have managed Garza and you look at how we have used Bourama/Paschal/and then putting forwards at the 5 it is hard to say we are focused on developing bigs, and giving them the best chance to succeed at basketball. Sure there is a counter argument but keeping it surface level you could see why Iowa has a good case.

Yes but think of it from the kid's perspective not an SU fan. Recency bias is what it is. We have not featured the C spot since 2015 with Rak. Lydon was playing out of position. I'm not trying to sell the kid on Iowa. Just that if you look and see how they have managed Garza and you look at how we have used Bourama/Paschal/and then putting forwards at the 5 it is hard to say we are focused on developing bigs, and giving them the best chance to succeed at basketball. Sure there is a counter argument but keeping it surface level you could see why Iowa has a good case.
I just mean that needs to be part of the pitch—the 45 year track record of doing this, from Bouie onwards. What all-American big has McCaffrey developed before this kid?

I hear you but this kid‘s game does seem to have more similarities to Lydon than Garza. In his highlights Mulvey shoots from the outside and is athletic. Garza is more of an old school big. Regency bias is significant but it seems unlikely Garza goes in the first round.

I hear you but this kid‘s game does seem to have more similarities to Lydon than Garza. In his highlights Mulvey shoots from the outside and is athletic. Garza is more of an old school big. Regency bias is significant but it seems unlikely Garza goes in the first round.

Well no matter as we still have to dislodge Iowa from being his top dog.

Syracuse: “Our relationship has been going pretty well. I'm loving coach Mcnamara and coach Autry. I've been watching them and hearing I could've been used with their bigs being hurt a lot this season. I think if I go there I'll have a big role and one of the main bigs on the team. When watching them play, it felt like their playstyle was slow but they got it done. It kind of felt slow and steady.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom