Class of 2021 - C Riley Mulvey (NY) Offered | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 C Riley Mulvey (NY) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
So his regular contact with Iowa is their head coach and for 'Cuse, it's Gmac/Red. Seems like a similar story I've read in the past...Ass't coaches of 'Cuse trying to go up against head coaches of other programs. We ever win that matchup?

So his regular contact with Iowa is their head coach and for 'Cuse, it's Gmac/Red. Seems like a similar story I've read in the past...Ass't coaches of 'Cuse trying to go up against head coaches of other programs. We ever win that matchup?
Jim needs to be more involved and hands on

He should have realized a couple of cycles ago, that Gmac/Red/Griff are not on the level of Hop

That trio is struggling to carry his laissez fair approach, him being more involved might make up the difference

He should have realized a couple of cycles ago, that Gmac/Red/Griff are not on the level of Hop

That trio is struggling to carry his laissez fair approach, him being more involved might make up the difference
It's still only a 2 hour car ride from his home. I don't think you can get to the Iowa campus in less than 12 hours using planes, trains and automobiles.

Does he want to be the next Garza or the next Edwards?

I hate to say it, but looking at that one aspect, Iowa definitely has the current success advantage at the center position. Some of that is system, but a lot of that is Garza just flat out works his butt off to get better.

Does he want to be the next Garza or the next Edwards?
I watched Garza last night vs MSU- the kid keeps getting better and better. Plus he's featured on offense, not relegated to setting picks inside the 3-pt line, or learning the intricacies of the 2-3 Zone.
I'd put our program up against anybody's, but if I'm a 5-man and with what I've seen over the last few years, I doubt if I look at the Cuse as a serious option. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Something I brought up during lockdown Covid days as to why they were in the mix with a lot of recruits. Bc JB was involved. School starts, practice starts, games start and he doesn’t do it like he was. It’s a tall task to ask an asst to compete with a head coach on the battle lines of recruiting. The difference in the last 10 years has been drastically different as well with the effort level from up top

I watched Garza last night vs MSU- the kid keeps getting better and better. Plus he's featured on offense, not relegated to setting picks inside the 3-pt line, or learning the intricacies of the 2-3 Zone.
I'd put our program up against anybody's, but if I'm a 5-man and with what I've seen over the last few years, I doubt if I look at the Cuse as a serious option. I hope I'm proven wrong.
I think if we had a good center we would use him - we used Fab and Rak

Jims been mailing it in on the recruiting front for years. You would think with covid he could at a minimum make a few phone calls. Pathetic.

Jims been mailing it in on the recruiting front for years. You would think with covid he could at a minimum make a few phone calls. Pathetic.
You know what's pathetic? People that post the same stuff over and over. We know you don't like JAB but he is still the coach.

You know what's pathetic? People that post the same stuff over and over. We know you don't like JAB but he is still the coach.
. Actually i do like JB. I just dont respect him as much i used to. I understand his love of his Son. But his BS comments are getting to a point that everyone. Fans, opposing coaches, the press, announcers etc are calling BS. As to you getting it either block me, dont read my post or put up with it.

Mulva: we hardly knew ya.
Mulva.jpg

I think if we had a good center we would use him - we used Fab and Rak

Yup. Garza has become an excellent player, but folks here act like Iowa is "Big Man U" or something. Iowa hasn't advanced past the second round of the NCAA Tournament since 1999. They've had one NBA draft pick since 2010 - a mid-second rounder who plays forward. I don't think they have any active NBA players.

I get Mulvey's relationship with McCaffery will be difficult to overcome. And I know recency bias is a big deal. But l'm not going to pretend Iowa is a program on the same level as Syracuse. The Hawkeyes aren't even the best program in their own state. If we are having a problem with program perception and recruiting, its a PR problem and we need to add some dynamic personalities to the Program and the AD to help get over the hump.

Yup. Garza has become an excellent player, but folks here act like Iowa is "Big Man U" or something. Iowa hasn't advanced past the second round of the NCAA Tournament since 1999. They've had one NBA draft pick since 2010 - a mid-second rounder who plays forward. I don't think they have any active NBA players.

I get Mulvey's relationship with McCaffery will be difficult to overcome. And I know recency bias is a big deal. But l'm not going to pretend Iowa is a program on the same level as Syracuse. The Hawkeyes aren't even the best program in their own state. If we are having a problem with program perception and recruiting, its a PR problem and we need to add some dynamic personalities to the Program and the AD to help get over the hump.
They are top 10. They looked pretty hood last night even in a loss to Ohio State, and by the way the coach has two sons playing on the team.

They are top 10. They looked pretty hood last night even in a loss to Ohio State, and by the way the coach has two sons playing on the team.

I'm not saying they dont. They also beat us pretty handily last year. That's why i noted the recency bias.

What happens next season when Garza graduates and they go back to being bottom-half of the Big Ten and struggling to make the tourney? Other than McCaffery, every other metric favors Syracuse here. (Historically better program, coach, conference; better facilities; larger crowds; more players in the NBA; more players drafted into the NBA; more players playing professionally anywhere; closer to home; higher ranked University academically [take with grain of salt])

I'm not saying they dont. They also beat us pretty handily last year. That's why i noted the recency bias.

What happens next season when Garza graduates and they go back to being bottom-half of the Big Ten and struggling to make the tourney? Other than McCaffery, every other metric favors Syracuse here. (Historically better program, coach, conference; better facilities; larger crowds; more players in the NBA; more players drafted into the NBA; more players playing professionally anywhere; closer to home; higher ranked University academically [take with grain of salt])
I don't believe that you can put JAB in as a metric that favors SU anymore. Plus you are looking at players in the NBA and none are from the center position. As a matter of fact, the 2-3 really hurts for showcasing any center worthy skills to NBA scouts. So many players shoot from outside in todays game that the center needs to show major rebounding skills. We all know that many times the 2-3 does not position the center in the best locations on the floor to grab boards. If teams are not hitting from the outside and start taking it to the board then it allows for a better chance to showcase center skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom