Caitlin Clark | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Caitlin Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
At full speed it looks worse. The angle from behind (as opposed to the baseline shot) makes it even more obvious. Let me see if I can find it. I saw it on Twitter earlier today.

Yeah, take a look at the slow-mo on this clip.

In a previous post, you mentioned Reese using her fist and throwing Clark down to the ground by the neck. No matter the angle or speed, neither of those things happened.

Ok?

I was responding to an incorrect claim that might have skewed his opinion.

My comment was merely reinforcing your correction to the initial claim. Not only was I agreeing with you, I was providing further context to highlight where she actually was on the court at the time of the cheap shot.

She was not.

OK, but she hit a girl in the face in the SEC tournament this spring, and she has had multiple incidents. No place for thugs if the WNBA wants to be popular.

No moms and daughter are going to want to watch WNBA if it's people beating people up during games. They are not going to aspire to play in that league if it's a dirty league.

If WNBA doesn't clean up its act, they will squander this opportunity to become a truly major sport.

OK, but she hit a girl in the face in the SEC tournament this spring, and she has had multiple incidents. No place for thugs if the WNBA wants to be popular.

No moms and daughter are going to want to watch WNBA if it's people beating people up during games. They are not going to aspire to play in that league if it's a dirty league.

If WNBA doesn't clean up its act, they will squander this opportunity to become a truly major sport.
I don't disagree. (Doesn't really have anything to do with your initial claim that she hit CC before, but I digress)

Should the WNBA start suspending people for flagrant fouls? Yes, I agree

Should they start changing/enforcing rules to allow for more free play? This seems obvious to me. There's a reason the NBA changed things up when the Knicks were playing bully ball. It's not as fun to watch. I saw a couple fouls replayed today on Reese from eariler this year and Sabrina the other night. The idea that it's just CC that gets these fouls isn't true. They seem to just play sloppy and reckless in the league and some people call it "physical"

I don't disagree. (Doesn't really have anything to do with your initial claim that she hit CC before, but I digress)

Should the WNBA start suspending people for flagrant fouls? Yes, I agree

Should they start changing/enforcing rules to allow for more free play? This seems obvious to me. There's a reason the NBA changed things up when the Knicks were playing bully ball. It's not as fun to watch. I saw a couple fouls replayed today on Reese from eariler this year and Sabrina the other night. The idea that it's just CC that gets these fouls isn't true. They seem to just play sloppy and reckless in the league and some people call it "physical"
That's what I have said to the WNBA newcomers. This is a carryover from the 2013-2019 Years that Bill Laimbeer coached. He brought the Detroit physicality to the league, and it needs to be stopped.
The league needs to change from the top on down.

Thugs, eh?

Yes. Bill Laimbeer was a thug.
Jim Leyritz (DUI manslaughter & domestic violence conviction) was a thug.
Pedro Martinez once threw a chair into the crowd at a baseball game - a thug.
Oscar Pistorius was a thug.
Lenny Dykstra was a thug.
Conrad Dobler - who once bit a guy during a game was one of the dirtiest players in NFL history.
Remember Richie Incognito of the Dolphins - a thug.
Or our own Tommie Kane - 18 years for manslaughter.

Being a thug has nothing to do with race, although there is admittedly a big racial element to this situation with Caitlin Clark.

Would be kind of strange if you had to be an expert in sociology to have an opinion on someone else’s intent from a given action. I don’t have to be a sociology major to have an idea on why my wife slammed the door after I forgot it was our anniversary.

Have you ever had an opinion on someone else’s intent before…? I’m going to assume you have.
My original post was directed at posts stating (or giving the opinion) on why Reece hit Clark in the head. Specifically ones that implied that it was from things such as her being racist all the way to commenting on her lack of relationship with her dad (much like a lot of the WNBA) driving her jealousy for Clark and her tight relationship with her dad. Race relations and family dynamics/structure falls under the sociology umbrella, hence my comment of how this thread went from a flagrant foul to topics related to sociology.

As I pretty much mentioned above, that's how I saw it. I think Clark has had to put up with a lot of unnecessary and unfair crap so far, but I don't see this as the most egregious example.
I stopped even talking about on Facebook, its a race war and calling it like I see it would isn't even worth it.

Yes. Bill Laimbeer was a thug.
Jim Leyritz (DUI manslaughter & domestic violence conviction) was a thug.
Pedro Martinez once threw a chair into the crowd at a baseball game - a thug.
Oscar Pistorius was a thug.
Lenny Dykstra was a thug.
Conrad Dobler - who once bit a guy during a game was one of the dirtiest players in NFL history.
Remember Richie Incognito of the Dolphins - a thug.
Or our own Tommie Kane - 18 years for manslaughter.

Being a thug has nothing to do with race, although there is admittedly a big racial element to this situation with Caitlin Clark.
I've never seen you post anything that would make me wonder about the way you would use the word, that said there aren't many that get that respect.

That's quite a slimy list. The Incognito thing was so weird and disgusting, rubbed me the wrong way in too many levels and I'm quite the degenerate.

Who would have thought a flagrant foul would reveal that the board has so many experts in sociology and and also possess the ability to predict a players intent. I am a Clark fan (have been before she even attended Iowa) and not a fan of Reece. However, I find it difficult to say what Reece's intent was on that play (truly trying to block the shot or purposely head hunting) and what might have led to her purposely committing that flagrant foul (if that was actually the case).
Prior bad acts are evidence of intent. In every court in America and the basketball court. When Georgetown played like this in the 80s everyone saw it for what it was. Does not take a sociology degree. But does require eyes open to the world.

They are flushing the winning lottery ticket. But the league and its leadership and “star” players ar good with that. They only want the fame and cash on their terms, which does not include a hetero white girl from Iowa.

The WNBA has to carve out its niche to sustain drawing fans. People who generally like women's hoop like the fact that there is good team work, good passing, setting up a player for an easy basket. More old school basketball. Not just a lot of dunks, 3 pointers and one on one like the NBA.

That said, the WNBA needs Caitlyn Clark to be successful for the league to get to the next level. MJ was extremely marketable after he won a bunch of rings. If Clark doesn't ascend to superstar status, the league will be trending water.

Breanna Stewart, who arguably is one of the best players and playing in the mecca, is not moving the needle, even though she signed her own shoe deal with Puma.

Right now there is jealousy in the league because the only players with shoe deals are white. Clark, Stewart, Ionescu. Would girls buy a A'ja Wilson shoe? Is she moving the needle for any products even though she is checking off a lot of the superstar boxes.

The WNBA has to carve out its niche to sustain drawing fans. People who generally like women's hoop like the fact that there is good team work, good passing, setting up a player for an easy basket. More old school basketball. Not just a lot of dunks, 3 pointers and one on one like the NBA.

That said, the WNBA needs Caitlyn Clark to be successful for the league to get to the next level. MJ was extremely marketable after he won a bunch of rings. If Clark doesn't ascend to superstar status, the league will be trending water.

Breanna Stewart, who arguably is one of the best players and playing in the mecca, is not moving the needle, even though she signed her own shoe deal with Puma.

Right now there is jealousy in the league because the only players with shoe deals are white. Clark, Stewart, Ionescu. Would girls buy a A'ja Wilson shoe? Is she moving the needle for any products even though she is checking off a lot of the superstar boxes.
Wilson just got her own Nike shoe deal.

I completely share this sentiment. What makes women's hoops fun is the below the rim nature of the game, generally speaking. It's old school.

Might be that because Stewart played for UConn, and UConn has had so many great players, that the east coast audience hasn't increased by much. Clark opens up the entire Big 10 / Midwest audience with a built-in rooting interest. That might be why she gets so much coverage.

I'm surprised to hear that other black players in the league don't have shoe deals. Are you sure about that?

I'm surprised to hear that other black players in the league don't have shoe deals. Are you sure about that?
Google it. It's a thing. That's why i'm surprised I didn't hear about A'ja Wilson's deal. There is definitely underlining jealousy between the Black players in a predominantly Black league vs some preferential marketing deals available for select white players.

She hit her before the shot was even blocked so your recollection is incorrect.

I noticed that. She was nowhere near the ball, made a poorly disguised attempt at blocking a shot she had no chance of blocking, so she swung at and directly hit Clark ... HARD.

Im one of the few people who actually likes Reese, but this was not a shining moment for the wnba freshman.

Far too much crap about race in this thread.

Locked. Start a new one if you want, sans race crap. And it doesn't matter if you have a point - posts about race do nothing but make mods job more difficult.

It also adds questionable content to results for all search engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors