Caitlin Clark | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Caitlin Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she is not a shot blocker and hacks picking up fouls each game, way too much. She’s not playing smart on defense at all. Reese averages .2 blocks per game in the WNBA so blocking shots sure isn’t a real defensive talent of hers. Heck Clark despite being 3 inches shorter averages 1.0 blocks per game. If I was her coach, I’d rip her for committing a crucial foul at a very crucial time in the game by a foul prone player on a lame low percentage attempt to block a shot after being beaten to the spot by taking a swipe from behind. Reese is a real force on the boards but takes herself out of games by dumb fouls. She needs to control her emotions in games and use better judgement not be a racist/homophobe.
Based on reading this thread, I fixed your last sentence.

She missed the ball by a couple feet. She's either a terrible bb player, or she saw the ball was blocked and decided to whack Clark in the head instead.

I'm a Reese fan, but this isn't even close to a close call. It was intentional.
She hit her before the shot was even blocked so your recollection is incorrect.

So, no one has ever called anyone a white girl before? That does not make anyone inherently racist. And certainly doesn't mean that this foul was racially motivated.
??? She said there was a different set of rules for the white girl. Think what you want but sadly, race is involved in a lot of our lives. And to think that there isn't resentment for the "white girl" who is getting all this attention and all this money is short sighted. There is total resentment for Clark. From the money to who she is and what she is. You know, in all walks of life, white groups have resented when a black earned their way in to that group. That door swings both ways.

Based on reading this thread, I fixed your last sentence.
I have no idea of her motivation to commit her first flagrant foul but looking at her latest foul stats in the WNBA, not just against the Fever, she’s foul prone and has a record of being a hacker. Her verbal comments though do seem to show a definite personal jealousy over the attention that Clark is getting. She’s a 6’3” forward while Clark is a 6’ guard yet she seems to relish trying to challenge her or cheering her teammates that foul her hard. It’s how she has decided to get the attention she thinks she deserves - by being the villain to Clark. Reese shot only 2 for 9 but had a great game on the boards with 13 - she should just concentrate at letting her game speak for her. She helped her team lose with her flagrant foul against Clark. With Reese on the bench till the last few minutes in the 4th Q in foul trouble, she helped the Fever take control of the game. Not smart at all on her part.

I believe she was going for a block. I believe her decision to continue with the swipe was dirty per NBA rules.

It wasn't intentional or else it would have got a Flagrant 2.

I respectfully disagree. She wasn't within 2 feet of the ball, which Clark had already released, when she hit her in the head with her forearm. Plus, they have history between them. Dirty play, period.

So, no one has ever called anyone a white girl before? That does not make anyone inherently racist. And certainly doesn't mean that this foul was racially motivated.

This is a replay of "Larry Bird v. Magic Johnson, 1980".
Race is certainly at the root of this incessant fouling.
WNBA is going to lose a lot of fans if they don't stop this nonsense.

This is a replay of "Larry Bird v. Magic Johnson, 1980".
Race is certainly at the root of this incessant fouling.
WNBA is going to lose a lot of fans if they don't stop this nonsense.
Just because you say so, doesn't make it true.

You see it one way, I see it another.

Once someone comes out and verifies one way or another, we'll see. Until then, it's all opinion.

By the way the NBA encouraged the ”villain“ Wilt to angelic Bill Russell to get attention and gain fans for the NBA. Wilt hated being the appointed villain and in real life they liked each other and respected each other. Wilt became bored and upset with his given role. I wonder sometimes like in the past if it is being replayed and encouraged by PR people to promote interest.

I disagree with it as well. First, it's the WNBA, not the NBA. What happens every day in the NBA isn't really relevant. Does this type of action happen every day in the WNBA? I have no idea. I won't watch the WNBA, Clark or no Clark. I think the crap that Clark is being hit with is part and partial of a lot of factors. That she is white is one of them. That she is straight is one of them. That she is making a bunch of money is probably the biggest one. It's funny because at the end of the day, Clark is good for all of them.
True if only one of them had the insight and awareness to say it. They want the money and the fame on their terms only; they get to choose who the stars are.

??? She said there was a different set of rules for the white girl. Think what you want but sadly, race is involved in a lot of our lives. And to think that there isn't resentment for the "white girl" who is getting all this attention and all this money is short sighted. There is total resentment for Clark. From the money to who she is and what she is. You know, in all walks of life, white groups have resented when a black earned their way in to that group. That door swings both ways.
It’s class too. Blacks famously (Jalen Rose) hated Grant Hill because he came from an. Intact two parent home. Like Clark who spoke at length about her dad yesterday. Reece had NO relationship with her biological father and was raised by a mother and grandmother. Not a male in sight. This is not uncommon in the W. If u don’t think this explains a lot of the envy and hatred u can’t be helped.
They’ll be back on Spirit airlines soon if this keeps up.

Screen Shot 2024-06-17 at 2.21.00 PM copy.jpg

The bottom image is picture #1 in the sequence, then upper left, then upper right.

First thing you notice is that her fist is just past Clark's head, while the ball is the length of her arm (~ 3 ft) away.

Second image, you see the arm action on the follow through is down, across the player, not up, reaching for the supposed block attempt. She's basically throwing her down to the floor by her neck in the follow through.

Notice in photo 3, Reece's arm is now down by the middle of her waist. The follow through was not toward the ball and then down; it was across the player's head and neck, forcing her down to the floor.

As I said, Reese was badly beaten in this play by Clark, reaching for a pathetic attempt to block her shot from well behind, was a very dumb foul on her part.

I don't agree that it was a basketball play at all, Cherie. The defender on the left made a play for the ball. Reece did not. It wasn't just a 'bad' attempt; it was no attempt at all.

The bottom image is picture #1 in the sequence, then upper left, then upper right.

First thing you notice is that her fist is just past Clark's head, while the ball is the length of her arm (~ 3 ft) away.

Second image, you see the arm action on the follow through is down, across the player, not up, reaching for the supposed block attempt. She's basically throwing her down to the floor by her neck in the follow through.

Notice in photo 3, Reece's arm is now down by the middle of her waist. The follow through was not toward the ball and then down; it was across the player's head and neck, forcing her down to the floor.
And what happens when you watch the replay with your eyes open?

The perception that a lot of people have is not that this is a problem between two players. Rather it is that there's a lot of resentment against Clark across the WNBA, and that the intentional fouls are a manifestation of that.

You’ll be furious if someone does the same thing to Donnie Freeman this fall that Reece did to Caitlin Clark yesterday. It was not a legitimate play on the ball.

I’ll be furious if it’s not called a flagrant. Once it called, I’ll be over it as long as Freeman isn’t hurt. I certainly won’t be questioning the reason why he was fouled

Who would have thought a flagrant foul would reveal that the board has so many experts in sociology and and also possess the ability to predict a players intent. I am a Clark fan (have been before she even attended Iowa) and not a fan of Reece. However, I find it difficult to say what Reece's intent was on that play (truly trying to block the shot or purposely head hunting) and what might have led to her purposely committing that flagrant foul (if that was actually the case).

Who would have thought a flagrant foul would reveal that the board has so many experts in sociology and and also possess the ability to predict a players intent. I am a Clark fan (have been before she even attended Iowa) and not a fan of Reece. However, I find it difficult to say what Reece's intent was on that play (truly trying to block the shot or purposely head hunting) and what might have led to her purposely committing that flagrant foul (if that was actually the case).

Would be kind of strange if you had to be an expert in sociology to have an opinion on someone else’s intent from a given action. I don’t have to be a sociology major to have an idea on why my wife slammed the door after I forgot it was our anniversary.

Have you ever had an opinion on someone else’s intent before…? I’m going to assume you have.

Would be kind of strange if you had to be an expert in sociology to have an opinion on someone else’s intent from a given action. I don’t have to be a sociology major to have an idea on why my wife slammed the door after I forgot it was our anniversary.

Have you ever had an opinion on someone else’s intent before…? I’m going to assume you have.
Are you saying you know Angel Reese as well as you know your wife?

They are playing at full speed Matt, not picture frame by picture frame

At full speed it looks worse. The angle from behind (as opposed to the baseline shot) makes it even more obvious. Let me see if I can find it. I saw it on Twitter earlier today.

Yeah, take a look at the slow-mo on this clip.

I think Reese's intent has been made pretty obvious because she has done this several times now. She was the person, I'm pretty sure, who body checked her on the foul line last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom