Caitlin Clark | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Caitlin Clark

Terrible foul call at the end but no tears for UConn losing this one. I'm not a fan of Iowa but it helps the league to have a college take down one of the elites with so many eyeballs on the game. I have no prediction on how Sunday's matchup is going to go.

Clark’s teammates came through offensively with some big shots the last 2 minutes. Was wondering if UConn was going for the 3 when that call came or if Edwards was going to roll to the basket. UConn played a good game - gee just looking at that foul call again she did look like she pushed off to roll to the basket. Tough way to lose.

I’m surprised with Caitlin. She has absolutely no mid range or pull up game. It’s either a three or a layup. She could get pull ups around the foul line all game but can’t pull up.

If Paige Bueckers didn't basically miss two seasons, I don't know if we'd be talking about Caitlin Clark the way we are now. Molly Qerim said

Bueckers: 17p 4r 3a

Clark: 21p 9r 7a and her team won.

I’m surprised with Caitlin. She has absolutely no mid range or pull up game. It’s either a three or a layup. She could get pull ups around the foul line all game but can’t pull up.
I wouldn't say that's completely true.

If Paige Bueckers didn't basically miss two seasons, I don't know if we'd be talking about Caitlin Clark the way we are now. Molly Qerim said

Bueckers is a great player, sad how she got hurt so badly. Amazing that she came back so successfully. Amazing story.

I'm not trying to denigrate Bueckers so much as contradicting Ms. Qerim.

Look, it was absolutely a moving screen. I don’t think that can be argued. Pretty clear she slides late and lunges with her arms outside of her body.

If they don’t make the call, UConn gets a 5 on 4 after Gabby gets tossed into the crowd on an illegal screen and UConn hits a game winner. I would guarantee you everyone saying that’s a terrible call is now saying how that was a terrible call the other way.

In my opinion, all I look for is consistency. If you call something early, you should call it late. I do not believe the whistle should be swallowed based on the time left in the game. It’s why there are rules. If this moving screen is not called, UConn gets an advantage. Why should they get an unfair advantage just because there is less time left in the game. My bigger problem is the poor officiating the entire game. I think I saw 3-4 fouls both ways where there was 0 contact.

I get it, people want players to decide the game. But then Edwards should have got to her spot and set a clean screen. Player didn’t do her job, she shouldn’t be bailed out by the refs.

To be honest I was impressed by UConn. They hadn’t wowed me much of the season. I didn’t think they looked impressive against SU either. They went further than I thought they would. They had a very good game plan and the girl guarding Clark did a very good job. It’s funny that allowing her to score 21 points, 9 rebounds and 7 assists is a bad game for her but it was. Her defender created unusual turnovers by her, played good angles preventing her from the inventive assists she usually makes that kills other teams. They were able to double her coming from her blind side when her defender slowed her down giving Clark no time nor angle to take advantage of passing out of it. Clark started rushing passes to avoid the double team. Iowa will have issues containing 6’7” Cardosa down low, Paopao from 3 and Raven Johnson from scoring. Iowa had issues guarding 6’3” Edwards and Cardosa is 6’7”.

To be honest I was impressed by UConn. They hadn’t wowed me much of the season. I didn’t think they looked impressive against SU either. They went further than I thought they would. They had a very good game plan and the girl guarding Clark did a very good job. It’s funny that allowing her to score 21 points, 9 rebounds and 7 assists is a bad game for her but it was. Her defender created unusual turnovers by her, played good angles preventing her from the inventive assists she usually makes that kills other teams. They were able to double her coming from her blind side when her defender slowed her down giving Clark no time nor angle to take advantage of passing out of it. Clark started rushing passes to avoid the double team. Iowa will have issues containing 6’7” Cardosa down low, Paopao from 3 and Raven Johnson from scoring. Iowa had issues guarding 6’3” Edwards and Cardosa is 6’7”.
I think SC is a clear cut #1 for a reason. However, Iowa did a good job on Edwards and Reece the last two games. But, like you said, Cardoso is bigger. If the Iowa offense can get back up to 90 points then they might have a chance. Anything else then it will be a struggle. Should be a good game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom