Caitlin Clark | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Caitlin Clark

Watching CC last night was a good lesson in how to move off ball & try to shake an amazing defender. Beautiful to watch. Surprised Bueckers laid such an egg.

Betcha SC just plays her straight up. Will be interesting to see.

South Carolina is going to bully ball them. I don't think it will be close.

As for the foul. Good call but the disparity in the physical play from the inside as compared to the perimeter in the women's game is crazy.

It was a f —- ing foul, right call albeit at a bad time but ref did his job, I’ll never understand where a ref is suppose to ignore a blatant foul regardless of time or place. Did their job. Iowa wins.

sc going to be tough but wouldn’t rule out a CC a heater on Sunday night.
I only saw the 1st half, and the foul on video. It looked the the UConn player hunted the contact with a bit of extra shoulder. It would be interesting to see it from that ref’s view of the play.
It’s not as egregious as that call against Seton Hall vs Michigan.

Last edited:
In the men's game you see so many bigs clearing out the paint on rolls and that's never called.

There are hard screens, moving bumps on every possession. I don't care about either program - but just think this is a stinky look to get whistle happy at exactly the wrong moment.

That wasn't whistle happy though. It wasn't a ticky tack call. That is where we differ. I am all for letting things go to a point. Had she been slightly moving or leaning, then no issue letting it go. But there were 4 reasons to call that foul. She took a big step, it wasn't a subtle move. Her leg was outside the frame of her body. She made herself bigger by bringing her arms up. And the coup de grace she used her elbow and forearm to create the contact. The way the Iowa player bounced off made it a HAVE to call. Without that the ref wouldn't have likely called it, or at least shouldn't. Don't give a forearm shiver during a screen. Heck I have seen refs go to the monitor looking for a flagrant for that type of content and wasting all of our time since there is nothing to really check.

It was a clear foul. Nobody got jobbed
There was a lot of contact, but there were also so many more physical fouls they could have called during the game that they didn’t. On the turnover at halfcourt just before that final UConn possession, Edwards actually pulled Stulke away from the ball after she lost it. That could have been called but wasn’t because of the scrum.

I don’t think it was a moving pick, so
Geno was right to be hot. That said, not sad UConn lost. Hats off to the players for having a tremendous season after losing some key players. They are ballers, no doubt about it. But their fans are insufferable so, buh bye.

Geno showed why he is one of the all time best in the sport. Had a great game plan.

Was this the same officiating crew that did the SU men’s game against Ohio State in Boston? ;)

With the other angle you can definitely see how wide her feet were. I still think it’s a tough call but not as bad as my initial reaction.
She was still moving too, she never was set which is a foul in itself. She was trying to move quickly to turn and roll to the basket using her body, arms to delay the defender from turning the corner and defending a 3 point shot by her teammate (Buecker) on the perimeter or impede the quick pass back to her as she rolled to the basket.

I'm not sure what replays people have been watching, but that is a foul in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th quarter. She moved, trailing foot moving after her forward foot came down in front of the Iowa player. That's a moving pick.

Even if people say it wasn’t a foul they still weren’t winning the game

This is no different than the cj fair block/charge call. We all said it was a block and the other side said blatant charge.

Its sports

SC was undefeated last year with Cardoso plus Boston on the inside and Iowa still found a way to win against that size disadvantage.
Edwards is a better driver, while Cardosa is more powerful and much more prone to foul. Iowa’s 5th year center last year, Monica something was 6’3”, powerful and very good offensively and defensively but she graduated. Iowa’s Stuelke this year is just a sophomore and 6’2” , not as powerful but quicker and much more perimeter oriented than their center last year. Iowa is really playing a 4 guard offense and a forward. Angela Reese is 6’3” herself so South Carolina should have the advantage inside with their 2 top players being much bigger and stronger - Iowa will have to be quicker and find a way to compete on the boards - Clark is Iowa’s best rebounder.

Angles matter - I didn't watch the game last night, but saw some tweets before going to sleep last night.

The first one I saw, from the back, you can't see the lateral movement of the UConn screener. Looks like a job against UConn and I don't feel particularly bad about it.

But you then see the angle where you can see make out lateral movement by the UConn player, and its not only a foul its a blatant screen foul.

Anyway, don't feel bad for UConn. And it was the right call.

Who thinks this isnt a foul?

No foul. The official NCAA rule for an illegal screen is.
1) You must move at least 3 steps to create an illegal screen. Two is OK.
and
2) Chicken Wings are permitted. However Wet Willy's, the Roddy Piper Eye Poke or Headbutts are not permitted,

Last edited:
Another NCAA rule regarding the screener is that the screeners legs are to be within shoulder width. Edwards set a horrific screen with her legs totally spread out and moving that broke any screening rules. I remember Baye Moussa Keita being called for setting screens where the ref said he was spreading his legs beyond shoulder width and I laughed believing that he would have had to cross his legs together to ever set a screen.

Another NCAA rule regarding the screener is that the screeners legs are to be within shoulder width. Edwards set a horrific screen with her legs totally spread out and moving that broke any screening rules. I remember Baye Moussa Keita being called for setting screens where the ref said he was spreading his legs beyond shoulder width and I laughed believing that he would have had to cross his legs together to ever set a screen.
100%

Looks like Geno is going to be ok.

Even if people say it wasn’t a foul they still weren’t winning the game
UConn had plenty of chances to take the game. Iowa’s D started to slow them down, contest shots, and UConn went cold from the perimeter. Both teams got sloppy as well.

UConn was playing very scrappy D, so they were bound to start picking up fouls. The problem with the refs is that they were very inconsistent the entire game, and both ways.

Her reasoning totally baffles me. You can agree or not about Clark but saying that the number of NCAA championships is the deciding factor for an individual is nuts. How many teammates were 5 stars , WNBA draftees etc that made the team better not just one specific teammate?

Nothing pisses me off more than the GOAT talk. I mean who really gives a damn. All these comparisons if who is better than someone else. Does it really matter? Means nothing. Era’s are different, style of play is different. Athletes are different in terms of their bodies, strength, etc.

I hate hate hate all this goat talk. Drives me up a wall.

Maybe its just me

Her reasoning totally baffles me. You can agree or not about Clark but saying that the number of NCAA championships is the deciding factor for an individual is nuts. How many teammates were 5 stars , WNBA draftees etc that made the team better not just one specific teammate?
So, if Michael Jordan didn't win a title in his freshman year, he wouldn't be in the discussion?
1712431951126.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom