Caitlin Clark | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Caitlin Clark

From 2016 - 2022, the women’s championship game drew between 3-5MM. Last year drew 10MM, this year will likely be over 15MM. Just dropping back to last year and holding would be a huge win for the sport - without knowing anything about how next season plays out I’d expect it will be closer to 7-8MM which would still show signs of potentially sustainable growth occuring. Worst case is they drop all the way back to historical ratings and get only 5MM or so.
I agree there is an upward trajectory over the last several years and it's all good. But you only have to look at the games where Clark isn't playing (in terms of ratings) these last two years to see the impact she has had on the sport.

I've been exchanging E-Mails with my brother, who is in Hawaii. Here is my latest, (he had through South Carolina had won last year):

South Carolina won the title two years ago, came into last year's semis undefeated with a 42 game winning streak but lost to Iowa in the semis. Iowa then lost to LSU in the finals and their star, Angel Reese had some things to say about the media focusing on a white star rather than black players who are as good or better. Iowa for revenge on LSU this year in the Elite 8 but another undefeated South Carolian team just got revenge on them in the final. Clark had a great first quarter with 21 points but only 9 after that. She has a tendency to launch the ball as soon as she gets downcourt that I don't like and she also missed some makeable shots going to the basket. She wound up missing 18 of her 28 shots. I think she's actually a better passer than shooter and her team is better off when she remembers to use that skill.

Kamilla Cardoso started her college career playing for Syracuse, along with some other top recruits Coach Quentin Hillsman managed to bring here in the wake of our trip to the national title game in 2016. But Hillsman couldn't behave himself and was fired in the wake of 12 players transferring out.

Syracuse Women's Basketball Coach Resigns Amid Misconduct Allegations.

Former SU star and Buffalo coach Felicia Legette Jack had to rebuild the program from scratch and we were back in the tournament this year.

This was the 10 undefeated women's championship team since the NCAA started the tournament in 1982. The men have had seven but the last one was Bobby Knight's 1976 Indiana team. That indicates that the depth of talent in the women's game has improved to about what it was in the 1970's. Maybe now that half of the sport will have an explosion similar to what has happened with the men since and it will get harder to 'run the table'. That will be a good sign.

I’m surprised with Caitlin. She has absolutely no mid range or pull up game. It’s either a three or a layup. She could get pull ups around the foul line all game but can’t pull up.
New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

I have to laugh though the media asking UConn grads their opinion on the call. Come on.
Jealousy. I expected Brianna Stewart to something meaningful but she is a coward and hater herself.

Seems like it. Now Lynette Woodard was talking over the weekend about she didn't think her record had been broken.
There was a story about women's basketball before the NCAA was formed and what the teams had to go through just to get to their games. I'll see if I can find it and post the link here. None of their records are on the books, none. NCAA does not consider them valid since it all happened before they formed. All these former and current players bitching about Clark is not a good look. At all.

Found it

As Caitlin Clark breaks all the records, the NCAA can correct its own

"NCAA record-keepers don’t acknowledge women’s basketball existed before it took the game over in the 1980s. Exactly when do they think women acquired their knowledge of the game? From online seminars?

“For some reason, the NCAA doesn’t want to recognize the basketball that was played prior to 1982, and that’s wrong,” Bluder said this week after Clark passed what Bluder called “the real record” for women’s major collegiate scoring. That was set by the smoother-than-licorice Lynette Woodard at Kansas from 1978 to 1981, under the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW), before the NCAA deigned to care.

“We played basketball back then,” Bluder added. “They just don’t want to recognize it. That hurts the rest of us that were playing at that time.”

There was a story about women's basketball before the NCAA was formed and what the teams had to go through just to get to their games. I'll see if I can find it and post the link here. None of their records are on the books, none. NCAA does not consider them valid since it all happened before they formed. All these former and current players bitching about Clark is not a good look. At all.
I could tell you plenty of stories. Tearing down current players doesn’t change those facts. Thankfully it’s called progress and sadly it’s just jealousy trying to compare or tear down people because of changing playing circumstances they had no control over. It goes both ways, whether it’s current players tearing down older players or older players tearing down current players, it’s cruel, small minded. Breanna Stewart, Diana Tauasi, Sue Bird, etc played with multiple teammates who were WNBA draftees at UConn with the goal of playing with the best, coached by the recognized best coach, to become the best and win a National Championship. Clark stayed home, bet on herself, her teammates and had the same goal, a national championship with the confidence in her coach that they could compete for a national championship. UConn didn’t even recruit her, so their evaluation placed her expectations at a lower level. Just a sad commentary on human nature in too many people who think that tearing down others, elevates them.

Found it

As Caitlin Clark breaks all the records, the NCAA can correct its own

"NCAA record-keepers don’t acknowledge women’s basketball existed before it took the game over in the 1980s. Exactly when do they think women acquired their knowledge of the game? From online seminars?

“For some reason, the NCAA doesn’t want to recognize the basketball that was played prior to 1982, and that’s wrong,” Bluder said this week after Clark passed what Bluder called “the real record” for women’s major collegiate scoring. That was set by the smoother-than-licorice Lynette Woodard at Kansas from 1978 to 1981, under the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW), before the NCAA deigned to care.

“We played basketball back then,” Bluder added. “They just don’t want to recognize it. That hurts the rest of us that were playing at that time.”
I had no idea. And yet I’m not shocked at all. Does the ncaa get anything right before they are dragged kicking and screaming?

There wasn't a lot of interest in women's basketball until the league had some parity. Who wants to invest their time when only 2 or 3 teams had a chance at winning it all? Christ, UConn hasn't missed a Sweet 16 in 30 years
Even more dominant than the great Syracuse Lacrosse teams' era.

I could tell you plenty of stories. Tearing down current players doesn’t change those facts. Thankfully it’s called progress and sadly it’s just jealousy trying to compare or tear down people because of changing playing circumstances they had no control over. It goes both ways, whether it’s current players tearing down older players or older players tearing down current players. It’s cruel, small minded. Breanna Stewart, Diana Tauasi, Sue Bird, etc played with multiple teammates who were WNBA draftees at UConn with the goal of playing with the best, coached by the recognized best coach, to become the best and win a National Championship. Clark stayed home, bet on herself, her teammates and had the same goal, a national championship with the confidence in her coach that they could compete for a national championship. UConn didn’t even recruit her, so their evaluation placed her expectations at a lower level. Just a sad commentary on human nature in too many people who think that tearing down others, elevates them.
In the story I posted Clark had the grace to recognize these older records, too bad the players complaining about her couldn't gather a scintilla of the same respect:

"Instead, it has been left to Clark to pay proper respect. She went out of her way to talk about Woodard and the AIAW after she scored 33 against Minnesota to pass Woodward this week. “I think it just speaks to the foundation that these players have laid for us to have opportunities to be able to play in environments like this, in front of crowds like this,” Clark said.

I could tell you plenty of stories. Tearing down current players doesn’t change those facts. Thankfully it’s called progress and sadly it’s just jealousy trying to compare or tear down people because of changing playing circumstances they had no control over. It goes both ways, whether it’s current players tearing down older players or older players tearing down current players. It’s cruel, small minded. Breanna Stewart, Diana Tauasi, Sue Bird, etc played with multiple teammates who were WNBA draftees at UConn with the goal of playing with the best, coached by the recognized best coach, to become the best and win a National Championship. Clark stayed home, bet on herself, her teammates and had the same goal, a national championship with the confidence in her coach that they could compete for a national championship. UConn didn’t even recruit her, so their evaluation placed her expectations at a lower level. Just a sad commentary on human nature in too many people who think that tearing down others, elevates them.
UConn just protecting their brand is not a good look. Gino could call it out but he’s s small man. Beyond that The racism is real. Fact.

UConn just protecting their brand is not a good look. Gino could call it out but he’s s small man. Beyond that The racism is real. Fact.
I don’t like CC because she’s white. I like her because she shoots like no woman ever before and her passes defy belief. And she seems fairly humble for someone with that much talent.

In the story I posted Clark had the grace to recognize these older records, too bad the players complaining about her couldn't gather a scintilla of the same respect:

"Instead, it has been left to Clark to pay proper respect. She went out of her way to talk about Woodard and the AIAW after she scored 33 against Minnesota to pass Woodward this week. “I think it just speaks to the foundation that these players have laid for us to have opportunities to be able to play in environments like this, in front of crowds like this,” Clark said.
What’s ironic, is that many of these old time greats wouldn’t even be in the conversation if not for Clark.

I don’t like CC because she’s white. I like her because she shoots like no woman ever before and her passes defy belief. And she seems fairly humble for someone with that much talent.
Spot on. She is super humble off the court. Also charitable with her time and money.

I’m a fan because 1) she is an unbelievable player, 2) generational talent, 3) I live locally and root for Iowa womens basketball, and 4) she is a product of All Iowa Attack, the AAU program my daughters play for.

I can understand people may not be fans of her style of play (flashy, questionable shot selection at times), but that should be the only gripe. All the other hate is simply jealousy.

Spot on. She is super humble off the court. Also charitable with her time and money.

I’m a fan because 1) she is an unbelievable player, 2) generational talent, 3) I live locally and root for Iowa womens basketball, and 4) she is a product of All Iowa Attack, the AAU program my daughters play for.

I can understand people may not be fans of her style of play (flashy, questionable shot selection at times), but that should be the only gripe. All the other hate is simply jealousy.
I love her game mostly for her passing skills. She has great court vision making teammates better, that’s a special skill. Much more difficult to defend a scorer who is a great passer and a valued teammate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom