Calhoun interested in BC job? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Calhoun interested in BC job?

I just don't see it happening, TBH. As someone already pointed out, his health isn't the greatest.

Personally, if this was true, Calhoun must have an alterior motive, another end game in mind. He is UConn through and through, and that will NEVER change. He may not like the AD, or the Pres, etc, but he bleeds for that program and it's current and former athletes. No, if he does this it is a 2-5 year short jaunt with the sole purpose of securing his UConn legacy by breaking down the barriers between BC and UConn and furthering UConn's ultimate chances of invite to the ACC.

No way he is going to BC just for the sake of coaching again. Uh uh. Don't believe it.

Also another candidate i heard was the current coach of Harvard. Who has done great things with that program compared to were it was
Really? Who would that be? It's the first we've heard of him. ;)

A lot of these coaches have massive egos and don't know what to do when they retire. It's not like hoops coaches have to grind the recruiting trail or work the hours of football coaches. Why wouldn't a guy who loves coaching want to get paid 7 figures to do it in the ACC?

youve never heard of tommy amaker you obviously do not follow the whole NCAA then. There is an article in Boston Globe saying he is leading candidate for the BC job

OK...how about this: BC reaches crosstown and tries to lure Tommy Amaker.
He didn't cut it in the old Big East...didn't cut it in the big 10 or 12 or whatever it is.
Maybe after creating something at Harvard he can succeed in the ACC.

All great coaches have small beginnings. and ya so what at the time he took the job at seton hall he was youngest in the conference. And harvard right now is a way better team then BC. BC won 8 games and they lost to Harvard by 15. and you underestimate the ivy league too its a good conference. Also BC wants someone who will be their a few years not someone who is old and sick.

Last edited:
Hard to see the good fathers of BC bringing that in as a coach.

Please, Please, Please let JC to BC happen that would provide us with years and years of entertainment as they ponder when the ACC invite is coming.

With his health issues you wonder but he has to miss it all and what an opportunity. And, if Larry Brown can do what he's done, imagine what Calhoun must think he can do. From his point it is a no lose situation.

youve never heard of tommy amaker you obviously do not follow the whole NCAA then. There is an article in Boston Globe saying he is leading candidate for the BC job
There've been several threads here about the BC situation in which Amaker was mentioned. My winking smiley was intended to convey that I was being facetious. I'll be more blunt next time and stick with the traditional "Man lands on moon." response.

There's a reason some of those stereotypes about coaches exist. Classic.

Travis Knight came from a pretty soft spoken Mormon family and were in for the shock of their life when they got seated behind the UCONN bench during a game.

They heard more curse words (and new combinations) that night than they had their entire lives.

When the quietly complained to the AD, he promised that he would talk to Calhoun. Calhoun listened with care and promised it would never happen again.

The next time the Knights got tickets, they were as far away as possible from the UCONN bench.

Calhoun is from Braintree, MA. And BC has a history of point shaving, scabs (flutie), and a general disregard for ethics.

Perfect fit.

Last edited:
Why not? They're positioned to be the top program in New England before long.

Hard to see the good fathers of BC bringing that in as a coach.
The "good fathers", as represented by their athletics department, haven't been ethical exemplars over the past dozen years.

JC did not want to retire. His health dictated it and the admin was worried about losing Ollie to another job so they pushed him a little to retire. Now that he is feeling better he probably would like to coach again especially seeing Larry Brown do it at age 74. I could see JC coaching but not in a P5 job which is incredibly stressful. Something more like the A 10 or Patriot league maybe.

The "good fathers", as represented by their athletics department, haven't been ethical exemplars over the past dozen years.
Yes, I was kind of hinting that (without getting mired in all the old BC issues).

We could have, in the same conference:

Jim Boeheim, presently 948 wins, 4 Final Fours and 1 naitonal title

Jim Calhoun, 873-3-3

Rick Pitino, 696-7-2

Mike Krzyzewski, 983-11-4

Roy Williams, 724-7-2

Ttoal from those five coaches: 4,224 wins, 32 Final Fours and 12 National Championshyips.

"Requiem for the Big East" made the point that a huge factor in the early success of that conference was the top coaches in the conference. they were really the backbone of it. The above group could be the backbone of the re-constituted ACC. The landscape would change in a few years as they are all in their 60's or 70''s but it would get things off to a great start.

Calhoun is 71. BC is a total rebuilding job.

We all know the type kids he brought to UConn; I'll just say it would be hard to get his type of recruits qualified academically at BC.

Maybe he coaches internationally though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom